Condensation

Les Sykes

Just after a little advice on this one. I have a new motor home; it has a rear fixed bed on a flat wood base. I have just noticed that there is condensation under the mattress, primarily where our bodies lay and not at the head or the feet end. But there is also a little condensation around the edges between the mattress and the outside walls. Is this common? Are we just sweaty people? Should I increase the heating? Or is there a simple solution that I am not grasping? Les

In days of old :-D we used two of those beech type mats (not plastic ones) under the cushions. We sometimes get it today in the Timberland under Maureen's bed which is made up of three cushions. It's mainly in the colder weather. The material we use between the cushions and the bed boards started life as a pet thermal blanket. The material soon dries out in the morning usually while we are having breakfast. Don

This was awell known problem in caravans until slatted bed bases came on the scene and is as you have realised sweat. You can either make holes in the bed bases if they are solid or use the thin rubber mats that are used for camping or exercise mats to make a thermal break to stop it. This is the main reason I hate hotels the matresses on the beds absorb gallons of water from sweaty bodies each year and the next holidaymaker sleeps in it, yuk!! Give me motorhome or caravan any day. Bas

Hi Chris. The bed is above the garage, but it was not cold, it has blown warm air like the rest of the van so technically it is at the same tempreature, and I must admit, when I went in the garage each morning it was warm not cold. It is abviously an air flow problem and it can be solved eithe rby puitting a slatted frame under the matress or by using a vapour seal of some description. All the posts have been helpfull, it just shows the benifits of such forums. Les

Archived