Which Sat Nav is best for MH trips

sakofox

We have the 1005 TomTom which allows you to put the details of your vehicle in and also change the type of vehicle you are driving. We have found that there is a definite difference between putting in using a motorhome and a car. A lot of people knock TomTom but we have found it to be very good.

sakofox - 2015-07-26 9:50 AM

We have an ageing Tom Tom with latest maps but it does not warn of low bridges. Garmin 52LM 5" is on offer at Amazon. Has anyone got one?

Seems it includes UK and Ireland maps only. If you intend using outside UK and Ireland other models would be better value.

You may be better sticking with TomTom if you are familiar with their quirks. They seem to echo each other's models, but each have different user interfaces, so it is likely to take you longer to adapt to Garmin's quirks, than to the difference between your present TomTom and a later one.

However, the great advantage of Garmin, IMO, is the ability to download either MapSource (Windows only) or BaseCamp (Windows and Mac) from Garmin's website and install the maps to your computer. Either will interface with Google Earth, so you can see actual map locations aerially and, where functional, can switch to Google Streets for a ground level view. Very handy when checking GPS co-ordinates from third party (and even the Navtec mapping!) PoIs for accuracy. It also allows you to manage your database of PoIs by adding and subtracting at will on the computer, from which they are easily transferred to the GPS device. But, you do have to become familiar with either programme, neither of which is exactly instinctual to use at the outset. However, persistence pays off - eventually! :-D

If you need to know where low bridges are? There are POI's on the tom-tom POI site that list them.

For truckers. As I remember they are too heights?

Used them for a while but I find a good eye on the signs ahead is far better together with a Michelin map that shows them anyway.

Word to the wise.

The new TomTom's at first did not allow the downloading of third party POI's for some reason when they came out. A huge outcry of protest has lead to a re programming and i understand they can now, but its far from as simple as it was.

For that reason alone I keep my 5 year old XXL running.

This is just my opinion after three years of touring around UK and Europe.

If you don’t have a Android Tablet or iPad this may not suit you depending on your budget.

If you do have one the the best GPS/SatNav is to use CoPilot App on your own device.

It uses the same mapping as TomTom and is updated regularly.

The Graphic Interface is far superior to any dedicated GPS/SatNav device I have considered.

The vehicle preference has Car, Motorhome, Motorcycle, Bicycle and Walking.

The Motorhome preference is designed for USA RVs so it has a very good margin for error on narrow roads or low bridges. 

It can be programmed with a myriad of driving options: shortest/quickest route, road type priorities, custom road preferences, speed camera databases, speed limit warnings, comprehensive POIs that can be custom displayed on the screen, custom route creation, drag and drop route changes, and much much more. 

The TomTom in my son’s new Renault is poor by comparison. 

I have used a 10” iPad with  GPS Receiver and at present a  7” Android with built in GPS Receiver.

The Software and Maps for All of Europe including UK & Ireland is £27. 

Their EOM Partners include the AA, Daimler, Mini, BMW, Ford, Scania, Renault and many more.

You can check out their website here:

http://copilotgps.com/uk/

If you are looking for a quick and easy way to double check GPS co-ordinates then I suggest you use the AireCamingCar website. They have a Google Map overlay that cross references with Digital and Deg/Min/Sec output. You can zoom in Map and Satellite and even go to Street View. The Satellite Zoom view gets you closer than the latest version of Google Maps, which is for some reason less intuitive and zoomable then the older version used here. 

Just move the map so the centre cross hairs are over your target and zoom to get the best view.

The co-ordinates are list just below the map.
Check it out here.

Surely the best way to avoid low bridges is to look out for the warning road signs - it's worked very well for us for many more years than we have had our mate Tomtom - which has never been updated in quite a few years now and still faithfully guides us to where we want to get to - which often includes impromptu diversions to avoid roads that Tomtom suggests that we use but we would prefer not to?

It's a navigation aid not a direct order!

Guest Joe90

Couldn't agree more ;-) I've got my IGO8 set to 38 Ton artic, and it still on occasions has an off day, nothing beats keeping your brain in gear, and your eyes peeled.

Just downloaded the updated europe map for my Tom Tom Start 25 and I see that it now includes motorhome campsites in its list of Points of Interest. (just thought I'd mention it, although you may already know this. I'm usually the last one to find things out!)

As you experience more of the forum you will come to realise that it is a forum for discussion and everyone's view, as long as it politley stated, are welcome - but some are more polite than others!

It does not bother most of us but your own observation above could be seen by some to be a trifle impolite.

Much as any conversation could veer off topic and back so do the forum conversations but therein lies one of the great advantages in that you get to read points of view that you might not have even thought about let alone considered.

It's all part of the learning curve and it is a brave - or foolish - man who reckons that he cannot learn from the experience of others.

Oh dear Duncan, I do hope we are not becoming even more politically correct on 'ere or we'll soon all be afraid to say anything that might be deemed remotely controversial and that would surely be detrimental to the well being of the forum?

This forum is now a much more pleasant place to visit thanks to your efforts since your moderation began but that was hardly an offensive posting now was it - frustration maybe at not getting the answer he wanted rather than rude?

Guest Joe90

The difficulty I am having is if someone is plainly talking nonsense one is not allowed to use that word, or use the phrase wading through treacle, when someone has asked a specific question about a specific item, as I note my post saying as much has been deleted, it's all rather confusing knowing exactly what is permissible now.

Confused of Aberdyfi. ;-)

BrianBW - 2015-07-28 4:51 PM

What the heck is wrong with ' like all politicians none of you answered the question.' What's offensive about that?

Using a 8 year old TomTom I too would like to know.

The offending posts were removed. The above is not one of them, though some might considered it a bit of a sarcastic swipe, coming from someone who was initially seeking assistance. He did, after all, pose two questions: a general question, in the heading above, about which sat-nav is "best" for motorhomers, and a more specific one about sat-navs that give low bridge warnings.

Is it the low bridges information you want to know about, or which sat-nav is generally regarded as best for motorhomers?

Guest Joe90
Brian Kirby - 2015-07-29 2:54 PM

What the heck is wrong with ' like all politicians none of you answered the question.' What's offensive about that?

The offending posts were removed. The above is not one of them, though some might considered it a bit of a sarcastic swipe, coming from someone who was initially seeking assistance. He did, after all, pose two questions: a general question, in the heading above, about which sat-nav is "best" for motorhomers, and a more specific one about sat-navs that give low bridge warnings.

Is it the low bridges information you want to know about, or which sat-nav is generally regarded as best for motorhomers?

One of the offending posts deleted being yours, but let that be our little secret. :D

And with respect Brian the OP posted a specific question about a specific Satnav that nobody answered, it was

" has anyone one got a Garmin 52LM 5" "

Joe90 - 2015-07-29 3:00 PM

One of the offending posts deleted being yours, but let that be our little secret. :D

And with respect Brian the OP posted a specific question about a specific Satnav that nobody answered, it was

" has anyone one got a Garmin 52LM 5" "

give it a rest onefoot, your sniping at Brian is tedious to say the least.

....and without respect (;-) ) (and with apologies to the mods), the question from the OP that has been repeated most (since it is in the thread title) is "Which Sat Nav is best for MH trips?", to which Brian's response was entirely valid and helpful.

To be honest, I am none the wiser. I only wanted a straight answer, which sat nav do people recommend i.e TOMTOM 12xxx, Garmin 563s.

As one person said they thought the best way was to look out the window, I do look out the window and read the bridge signs, but I also got caught down a single track road and came across a low bridge . I had to reverse back 1/2 mile to a gateway to turn around.

The other part of the question was about Sat Navs that take into account the vehicle size when planning the route avoiding weak and low bridges. - well I have found the info about that from google.

I've got a dual technology set up. Tom Tom tells me where to go before I need to turn, wife tells me where no to go when it's to late not to!

A bit of the subject I know but talking of dual technology we had a problem with falce alarms on our household security system which resulted in our daughter having to come round in the middle of the night when it went off if we were away. I bought and fitted a dual technology pir that needs to sence both movement and heat to activate it. More expensive but at £23 not that much. Seems to have solved the problem so far.

sakofox - 2015-07-29 5:07 PM

To be honest, I am none the wiser. I only wanted a straight answer, which sat nav do people recommend i.e TOMTOM 12xxx, Garmin 563s.

As one person said they thought the best way was to look out the window, I do look out the window and read the bridge signs, but I also got caught down a single track road and came across a low bridge . I had to reverse back 1/2 mile to a gateway to turn around.

The other part of the question was about Sat Navs that take into account the vehicle size when planning the route avoiding weak and low bridges. - well I have found the info about that from google.

Most of us have but one sat-nav, which we either find satisfactory, or not. As individuals, our experience is therefore limited to a handful at best, some now outdated. It is also very noticeable that what works for one person is not satisfactory to others, so I don't think there is, or ever can be, a one size fits all sat-nav ideally suited to motorhoming. This makes answering the question posed in your string title almost impossible, as the implied sub-question is "which sat-nav will be best for me when driving a motorhome?" That was why I suggested you may find it easier to stick to TomTom, since you are already familiar with their workings.

Both the main brands, TomTom and Garmin, make generally reliable devices that perform well. However, both manufacturers produce a wide range of devices, mostly arranged in "families", where different features (i.e. lifetime map updates), or differing map-sets, are added to a basic model with price hikes reflecting these. The differences between the families tend to be more radical, such as screen size, voice recognition, mobile phone integration, use as a photo viewer, use for talking books, dash cam inclusion etc, and then the whole lot get churned fairly regularly, so that whatever you buy soon gets overtaken by a newer model. This adds to the difficulty in making a suggestion as to which current model may best suit your needs.

Some models do not allow the entry of personal POIs, which I would count a major drawback, many provide lane guidance for complex interchanges, which I find useful, some allow voice activated control, some transmit the voice guidance to your radio speakers etc. etc. I think a SD or micro SD card slot an absolute necessity, because the map file size seems to grow with each update, eventually exceeding the internal memory of the device, when a decent sized SD card will accommodate the overspill.

One thing to be aware of is that the "truck" type sat-navs, which allow the size and weight of the vehicle to be entered, use the same basic mapping as all the others, and that mapping does not include information about road widths. It will include legal width restrictions, weight limits (though in towns these often apply only to commercial vehicles, not to motorhomes), bridge heights etc, but will still happily route you down a narrow lane if it is not width restricted.

I am unfamiliar with TomTom and their website, but the Garmin site has a facility for comparing the detailed specifications of their models side by side, which helps to clarify what each offers for the money. I assume the TomTom site will have something similar. I have never found Halfords staff locally to have anything like the detailed knowledge of these devices necessary to offer worthwhile guidance, but there must be someone somewhere who has! :-)

In the absence of someone who can talk you through their ranges I think the best one can achieve is to explore the models via the manufacturer's web sites, see which seem best suited to your needs, and then, if necessary, ask their customer services to explain what is not clear. It is rather hard work, but in the absence of more personal guidance I have found it the best approach. Hope this helps a bit.

I have had the TomTom GO LIVE Camper and Caravan for two years now.

It allows you to input the size of your vehicle which then calculates routes avoiding low bridges, narrow roads/tracks etc. All map updates are free to download for life. The Live traffic and weather information is handy, albeit depending on location this is sometimes not available. POI's include camp sites and your own POI can be added. Up to now it hasn't failed. Downside is the price as it is fairly costly.

Nothing. As Brian pointed out, the argumentative posts were deleted.

Oh dear Duncan, I do hope we are not becoming even more politically correct on 'ere or we'll soon all be afraid to say anything that might be deemed remotely controversial and that would surely be detrimental to the well being of the forum? - Tracker

[/Quote]

No need for political correctness and you CAN disagree all you like. The point is not to be abusive about it.

The difficulty I am having is if someone is plainly talking nonsense one is not allowed to use that word, or use the phrase wading through treacle, when someone has asked a specific question about a specific item, as I note my post saying as much has been deleted, it's all rather confusing knowing exactly what is permissible now.

Confused of Aberdyfi.- Joe90

They are expressing their opinion, you can express yours. This is a forum, it's all opinion. Telling someone that their opinion is nonsense or they are a long winded bore is simply causing an argument. Debate is fine, difference of opinion is fine, berating other members for their opinion is not.

Archived