Cockburn Holdsworth Odyssey

seanandjen

Welcome to the Out&AboutLive forums.

The Odyssey is a rare bird

http://www.uberleisure.com/y1138.html

so your best bet to contact other owners could well be via the Holdsworth club.

http://holdsworthownersclub.blogspot.co.uk/

The GRP monocoque body should mean that the chances of water-ingress are low, while any problems with the Peugeot base-vehicle, or habitation appliances like the heater and fridge, are likely to apply to motorhomes generally and not be specific to Holdsworth models.

I have a feeling that John Wickersham, one of the leading experts on motor caravans and caravans, built himself one from the original plans. Is this what your's looks like?

Always liked the look of them but never understood why they were not more successful unless it was about the time Cockburn Holdsworth got into financial difficulties when a massive minibus order was cancelled and led to its demise. I have a feeling that only 60 were built.

Guest pelmetman
seanandjen - 2015-07-31 6:25 PM

Hi Peter,

I have laid in the upstairs bed and it is snug !!!

Doesn't look any snugger than ours? :-S ........and I'll be climbing the wooden hill again tonight :D ........

At least......after 23.5 years I know the way :D ...........

Brock - 2015-07-31 2:48 PM

I have a feeling that John Wickersham, one of the leading experts on motor caravans and caravans, built himself one from the original plans...

John Wickersham’s “Mystique’ self-build is described in some detail in his book “Build Your Own Motorcaravan”. It was based on two prototype GRP shells said to have been produced by Barry Stimson.

The Holdsworth “Odyssey” is not mentioned by JW, but the photos of the shells certainly look like they were used in “Odyssey” manufacture. Otherwise, “Mystique” is conceptually significantly different to an “Odyssey".

(According to Richard Holdsworth’s own website, he sold his motorhome-building business in 1995.)

Thanks for the info Derek, I have seen several Odysseys dated 1997 so I presume they were not registered with the DVLA til then. The original owners told me they went to the factory to choose their extra's for the Van, so there is a mystery.

The Wikipedia entry

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holdsworth_Motorhomes

offers a likely explanation.

You’ve referred to your motorhome as being made by “Cockburn Holdsworth”, which was the company that succeeded “Holdsworth”. Wikipedia describes Cockburn Holdsworth as a short-lived venture, but it seemingly lasted long enough to produce a few (perhaps all) Odysseys.

If you wanted chapter and verse about Holdsworth/Cockburn Holdsworth production dates, the Holdsworth Owners Club might well be able to provide it. Apparently the club was started in 1996 by John Cockburn, who had boought out "Richard Holdsworth Conversions”. Within 12 months Cockburn Holdsworth was absorbed into Autocruise CH, with John Cockburn as Managing Director, and the club consequently changed its name to the present one. John Cockburn was later involved with Bentley Motorhomes which - like Autocruise - hit hard times.

Archived