Driving me nuts

nowtelse2do

What drove you nutty about the caravan ? Was thinking of going down that road myself , but must say im not convinced it excites me like the idea of motorhoming , i miss my van but didnt want to invest loadsa money in another motorhome , and thought it would be more economical to have a caravan : but it doesnt tick all my boxes ... We had a rav 4 and it was a lovely motor :) pp

Guest Joe90
What would drive me potty, apart from the dreaded Aquarolls, waste hogs, and all that winding handles malarky is the fact that you've always got to go to sites, and usually pay handsomely for the privilege, our last 49 nights trip in France cost the grand sum of 70 Euros in overnight fee's, almost exclusively using aires, that sum might get you two nights on a UK camp site. ;-)

Joe90 - 2015-08-01 11:05 PM

What would drive me potty, apart from the dreaded Aquarolls, waste hogs, and all that winding handles malarky is the fact that you've always got to go to sites, and usually pay handsomely for the privilege, our last 49 nights trip in France cost the grand sum of 70 Euros in overnight fee's, almost exclusively using aires, that sum might get you two nights on a UK camp site. ;-)

.............. but the impression I get from reading the forum, is that very few ( if any ) forum members use aires to save money, so I doubt that would influence their decision between caravan and motorhome.

;-)

Back in the fold then Dave, good.

We considered tugging before parting with £40k + last year, I thought 15 - 20k for a vehicle and and a caravan at 10k, something small = big savings?

Nope, despite a lot of pros cons ifs whats etc etc, it didn't and still doesn't 'fit" for us.

Package holidays? Dear God, the thought of being herded around airports just fills me with dread now.

All inclusive? Of what? Crappy food and brown water masquerading as booze. Awful.

And as for B&B's and touring, noooooooo, just where is the rest element?

Martyn

Guest Joe90
malc d - 2015-08-02 9:04 AM

Joe90 - 2015-08-01 11:05 PM

.............. but the impression I get from reading the forum, is that very few ( if any ) forum members use aires to save money, so I doubt that would influence their decision between caravan and motorhome.

;-)

Irrespective whether aires make a charge or not, and many do, or would like to make use of them, touring caravans are not allowed to use them, which could certainly be a factor in that the vast majority of folk from the UK that tour mainland Europe have motorhomes rather than caravans. ;-)

As for the general point you raise about being influenced about saving money, I have no idea what influences others, but neither am I reticent to say that within reason saving money is something that is on my radar, rather than putting it into other peoples pockets, and with a caravan ( and ignoring all the other drawbacks as I see them ) I would have no other choice but to stay on sites ;-)

Pampam - 2015-08-01 10:38 PM

What drove you nutty about the caravan ? Was thinking of going down that road myself , but must say im not convinced it excites me like the idea of motorhoming , i miss my van but didnt want to invest loadsa money in another motorhome , and thought it would be more economical to have a caravan : but it doesnt tick all my boxes ... We had a rav 4 and it was a lovely motor :) pp

Hi Pam. Most of the reasons Mike and Martyn say, What doesn't bother me is going on good site's. We are members of the Caravan Club and for the facilities that they offer i find their fees very reasonable compared to a lot of private site's. If in France...(spit)...I use the municiples mostly and on odd occasions an aire or a site if necessary.

The two good things about caravanning is that you use your car for running about when set up on site and it's easier to park, no height barrier problems or parking bay size. I can't think of anymore good things.

The Rav4 is a great car and very versatile although not very economical, but I will definitely miss it.

Dave

Guest Joe90

For the most part no real height barrier issues in France, or parking bay sizes, or heaven forbid pay and display car parks at every turn.

The thing that mystifies me is why anyone if limiting their leisure vehicle use to the UK would choose a motorhome at all, oh I forgot, you can leave your motorhome all day on a site,

then get a bus in the morning for a day out :-S

Pampam - 2015-08-01 10:38 PM

I love our caravan. I love our motorhome. We use the one or the other when circumstances require use of the one or the other.

Just home from a week away in caravan, which is seldom used, and the caravan has had a reprieve, yet again. We had the usual discussion about selling / not selling - it's looking its age, and has little use.

We came to conclusion [again] that keeping a caravan extends our options for getting away. And we are sure that if we sold it, an occasion would arise when we'd want to use it, and subsequently regret selling it.

I even enjoy the whole palaver putting up the awning and taking it down. Perhaps it's because I was always a "camper". So I get a lot of pleasure from the various ways of enjoying this pastime.

Gosh, I even use CC sites, C&CC sites, as well as, when "away", all kinds of sites, including municipal sites, and aires / stellplatz, when circumstances demand. We still have some tents somewhere - not sure I'd want to use one again. But OH said we would if we had to. Maybe....

Cheers,

Gwen [ who just likes "camping"]

Joe90 - 2015-08-02 6:35 PM

For the most part no real height barrier issues in France, or parking bay sizes, or heaven forbid pay and display car parks at every turn.

The thing that mystifies me is why anyone if limiting their leisure vehicle use to the UK would choose a motorhome at all, oh I forgot, you can leave your motorhome all day on a site,

Pay & display are creeping in over there. As for what mystifies you, we have what's known as a bus pass. Don't you find it tiring driving all day?

Dave

There's a whole lot of people out there who "would love a motor home" or indeed have owned one for X number of months.

I certainly know plenty, but most of them have zero camping experience, still working every day of the year and or can't afford the lifestyle.

No disrespect intended but, I've met and continue to meet such folk.

Martyn

Forgot to mention Mike, my campervan has a tow bar so we will be taking the TR on a trailer with us on occasions. Now I can't do that with a caravan on the back as well, and no i'm not pulling a caravan with the TR.

The beauty of having a campervan is that i use it as everyday transport which saves £350 a year storage and no caravan insurance to find.

Dave

Guest Joe90
nowtelse2do - 2015-08-02 8:28 PM

Joe90 - 2015-08-02 6:35 PM

Pay & display are creeping in over there. As for what mystifies you, we have what's known as a bus pass. Don't you find it tiring driving all day?

Dave

Who needs to drive all day,

and a bus pass..........do me a favour, what, and travel with all the white hair brigade, with the few screaming kids and their single moms thrown in for good measure, I mean seriously, is that anyone's idea of a good way to travel ?

saw enough of them all when I used to drive buses years ago, my idea of hell. :D

As for Pay and Display creeping in over there, the only thing I can say is we never encounter that unless you count paying maybe a few Euros for an Aire, a dedicated parking place with dump and fresh water facilities for which I'm more than happy to pay, ;-)

I've made the change from motorhome to caravan for financial reasons (retired 8 years savings depleted) the motorhome was great for traveling but pants for local touring , the caravan is not as much fun for traveling but good when pitched up and using the car for local trips. Cost £1000.00 plus for motorhome before turning a wheel then used for perhaps 2 months, caravan £0.00 before hookup then the same as motorhome for about 2 months camping. Just returned from Woolacombe £139.00 for 10days including dog then 4days at Salisbury at CC&c site £65.00 total comes to less than 2 weeks cost for motorhome. I no longer go across the chanel and having seen the troubles at Calais glad of it and to my great delight have discovered Salisbury and the staff at the CC&c site a short walk from the centre of town I'LL be back. John B-)

Guest Joe90

Surely the point is the UK is simply not motorhome friendly, this is widely acknowledged, but if confined to the UL, and one is happy to be parked up in one spot for ten days a caravan makes more sense, me I'd die of sheer boredom,

as for the troubles at Calais,

you'd think there would be more than one cross channel route wouldn't you :-S >:-)

Joe90 - 2015-08-02 8:53 PM

and a bus pass..........do me a favour, what, and travel with all the white hair brigade, with the few screaming kids and their single moms thrown in for good measure, I mean seriously, is that anyone's idea of a good way to travel ?

saw enough of them all when I used to drive buses years ago, my idea of hell. :D -)

Mike some of the single mum's conversations on their mobiles are really entertaining and can pass a happy 20minutes or so on.

I bet you miss your half cab :D

Dave

Guest Joe90
nowtelse2do - 2015-08-02 9:09 PM

Joe90 - 2015-08-02 8:53 PM

saw enough of them all when I used to drive buses years ago, my idea of hell. :D -)

Mike some of the single mum's conversations on their mobiles are really entertaining and can pass a happy 20minutes or so on.

I bet you miss your half cab :D

Dave

No I'm not that old, the Daimler Fleetline front loaders, had come in when I was on them ;-)

and no clippies giving you an ear bashing to put your foot down to catch the bus in front to lessen their workload that the old hands used to tell me about. :D

1458094576_Myoldbus.jpg.ddd4773624b18609adc9a381bef1ce60.jpg

Guest Joe90
nowtelse2do - 2015-08-02 9:31 PM

Don't know why you packed it in....load walked on and off, no roping or sheeting or chaining it down, fag at every other bus stop. What a life, bigger wages than the tube drivers so i've heard :D

Dave

I downed sized......................... ;-)

Bought my own FX4, and put up with drunks and vomit for the best part of 25 years doing permanent nights in Brum :D

Probably explains my attitude to all forms of public transport. ;-)

Joe90 - 2015-08-02 9:09 PM

Surely the point is the UK is simply not motorhome friendly, this is widely acknowledged, but if confined to the UL, and one is happy to be parked up in one spot for ten days a caravan makes more sense, me I'd die of sheer boredom,

Depends what you do. I do not need to keep moving in order to prevent being bored. Last week, we were "parked up" for a time on a C&CC site in our caravan. I saw 5 productions at the Royal Shakespeare Theatre in the evenings during that week, and visited some National Trust properties, and browsed in antiques centres and antiquarian bookshops during the day. Bored? Not a whit. Thoroughly inspired.

About a week prior to that, I spent 2 nights in Bath and 5 nights in London, using our motorhome on that trip, seeing a concert, a play, and a ballet. Thoroughly stimulating.

It's not a case of just being parked up on one spot, what matters to me is how I spend the time whilst being parked up. And the UK offers much.

Guest Joe90
Gwendolyn - 2015-08-02 9:50 PM

Depends what you do. I do not need to keep moving in order to prevent being bored. Last week, we were "parked up" for a time on a C&CC site in our caravan. I saw 5 productions at the Royal Shakespeare Theatre in the evenings during that week, and visited some National Trust properties, and browsed in antiques centres and antiquarian bookshops during the day. Bored? Not a whit. Thoroughly inspired.

About a week prior to that, I spent 2 nights in Bath and 5 nights in London, using our motorhome on that trip, seeing a concert, a play, and a ballet. Thoroughly stimulating.

It's not a case of just being parked up on one spot, what matters to me is how I spend the time whilst being parked up. And the UK offers much.

Wow, a caravan and a motorhome sitting on the fence eh ;-)

As for your nights out, just goes to show we're not all the same, stuff like Chekhov, and blokes running around in tights has never done much for me.

Given the choice I'd actually prefer to sit in one place for ten days staring at my navel for the duration, or watch the net curtain twitchers on a CC club site, thoroughly stimulating.

It may be worth repeating as -

There are no right or wrong ways to holiday and whatever you enjoy is right for you - but not neccessarily right for anyone else!

Other people will probably know what is right for themselves - but highly unlikely to know what is right for anyone else!

PS - I nearly forgot - welcome back Dave!!

Joe90 - 2015-08-02 10:06 PM

Gwendolyn - 2015-08-02 9:50 PM

Wow, a caravan and a motorhome sitting on the fence eh ;-)

As for your nights out, just goes to show we're not all the same, stuff like Chekhov, and blokes running around in tights has never done much for me.

Given the choice I'd actually prefer to sit in one place for ten days staring at my navel for the duration, or watch the net curtain twitchers on a CC club site, thoroughly stimulating.

Sitting on fence? Only because since buying a motorhome 5 years ago we have not been home long enough to get around to selling our, now elderly, caravan.

And when dear daughter and I are theatre going, OH does not join us. So the motorhome would be no good in that scenario - he'd either have to come into a town and sit in it in a car park, or stay at site while I drive off, and sit in a deck chair hoping it does not rain. So caravan comes out of retirement.

[Actually, the 'ballet' was, strictly speaking, not a true ballet, but a Matthew Bourne production. Not men in tights at all - have a look at The Car Man on You Tube, not a tutu in sight. Set in a garage in Texas!]

Guest Joe90

Well both me and my missus just gave it a go on youtube,

we'd sooner watch paint dry........... South Park, the longer uncut version is more our scene. :D

Still just as well we're all different eh ?

Archived