Dangerous Driving by Trucks and Buses ??

HymerVan

My reply to all you perfect drivers is this; spend a few thousand pounds on training and obtaining a LGV or PSV licence, get yourself a job in the industry and see it from the other perspective. Then and only then will you be qualified to comment as to why lorry drivers have to drive the way they do.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Joe90 - 2015-08-03 10:04 AM

I'm always amazed that people assume they are the perfect driver, however the OP is quite specific in his "cruising" speed.................when in fact there is every likelihood when he thinks he's "cruising" at 60 mph, he's actually doing 53 mph, as this is the over reading tolerance allowed on a bog standard speedometer, which is 10 per cent plus 4km/h.

A coach or HGVs that are all fitted with tachographs are far more accurate, and whilst he sits there assuming he's doing a certain speed, he almost certainly isn't.

If there is a coach, or a HGV following you for mile after mile with no opportunity to overtake they are likely to get more than a little p*ssed off that you are not making sufficient progress as my old HGV instructor used to say, they are trying to do an extremely demanding job of work, day in, day out, not going off on their occasional jollies (!)

Someone who obviously knows about these things, Wise words mate. Having driven HGV PSV TLV (Tank) etc. But there is still no excuse for "tail gating" the vehicle in front. We all know it is frustrating to be held up for miles on end by what ever. So just pull over when it is save to do so and let the queue pass. There will be cheery smiles a friendly toot on the horn and you will get a a warm glow come over you and we can all go calmly on our way and so as I pass you after being held up for 10 miles or so don't be surprised if I try and push you in the ditch :D (only joking) I think 8-)

donna miller - 2015-08-04 10:20 AM

My reply to all you perfect drivers is this; spend a few thousand pounds on training and obtaining a LGV or PSV licence, get yourself a job in the industry and see it from the other perspective. Then and only then will you be qualified to comment as to why lorry drivers have to drive the way they do.

Sorry Donna that is still no excuse for tailgating. If you hold a HGV/PSV you are a professional driver and therefore should behave as such no matter how frustrating it is being stuck behind the pillock with the doggy speedo. It is not a license to drive dangerously. It only takes a handful of bad companies and HGV drivers to get the industry a bad name.

Guest Peter James
Brian Kirby - 2015-08-04 9:57 AM

Peter James - 2015-08-03 9:31 PM

How can I get a message to the pillock driving the lorry that the reason I am going so slow is that he is tailgaiting so close?

Honest answer Peter? Apply a little welly to exceed his (limited) speed, then you can stop annoying each other. :-D

What if its not safe to exceed his 'limited speed' and there is nowhere to pull over?

Guest Joe90
Sometimes what may be perceived as "tailgating" is merely the "professional" driver not wishing to move to an overtaking lane too early, in many ways they can't win, if as is suggested they keep their distances from one another they would be pulling out far earlier and taking far longer to pass the vehicle in front, then the opposite moans would rear up, like, "bloody hell why is he blocking the road and taking so long to overtake". :-S They can't win can they ?

Guest Peter James
George Collings - 2015-08-03 10:53 PM

Usually speaking its possible to break the magnetic force between you and to tailgater by gently varying your speed up and down. It gives the impression you are not concentrating . Most get fed up and back off a bit .

I was in the wrong job to do it but on a road narrow enough to stop them going around you I was always tempted to gently stop and go back to the tailgating driver and ask if he understood what his vehicle would do to mine if I had to make an emergency stop, then demonstrate Mr Newtons law to him with a straight right to the nose.

But then as we say in darkest Devon you can't educate pork so whats the point and I am too old now.

Years ago I was driving an HGV myself, and with 40 tons behind me I wasn't bothered about pillocks tailgaiting me. When they couldn't stop, I stopped them :-D

I'm more concerned about tailgaiting now I'm driving light vehicles. But at least I have plenty of time, and if tailgaiters slow me and consequently themselves down they have only themselves to blame :-D

Guest Joe90
What an absurd attitude, you perceive someone is following you too closely, so you slow down, no wonder road rage exists.

Peter James - 2015-08-04 1:41 PM

Honest answer Peter? Apply a little welly to exceed his (limited) speed, then you can stop annoying each other. :-D

What if its not safe to exceed his 'limited speed' and there is nowhere to pull over?

I think Brian is referring to Motorways Peter ;-)

Dave

Guest Joe90
nowtelse2do - 2015-08-04 3:04 PM

Joe90 - 2015-08-04 1:59 PM

What an absurd attitude, you perceive someone is following you too closely, so you slow down, no wonder road rage exists.

Read it again Mike, Peter didn't say HE slowed down ;-)

Dave

To be honest reading again makes no sense one way or the other to me, should have kept my gob shut.

keninpalamos - 2015-08-04 12:41 PM

Sorry Donna that is still no excuse for tailgating. If you hold a HGV/PSV you are a professional driver and therefore should behave as such no matter how frustrating it is being stuck behind the pillock with the doggy speedo. It is not a license to drive dangerously. It only takes a handful of bad companies and HGV drivers to get the industry a bad name.

Please highlight where I mentioned it was acceptable to tailgate.

The thread has mentioned several gripes about lorry and coach drivers.

nowtelse2do - 2015-08-04 3:04 PM

Joe90 - 2015-08-04 1:59 PM

Read it again Mike, Peter didn't say HE slowed down ;-)

Dave

Well I'm confused as well.

Peter did say that " tailgaters slow him down " ?

How does that work - he should be in front of 'em.

;-)

Guest Peter James

Tailgaiters didn't slow me down when I was driving a 44 tonne lorry (I slowed them down when they crashed into me)

But tailgaiters do slow me down when I am driving light vehicles because then I've not got so much behind me to stop them with.

Guest Peter James

My reply to all you perfect drivers is this; spend a few thousand pounds on training and obtaining a LGV .

It only cost me a couple of hundred pounds to get my HGV licence, driving tests were easier then. But the test isn't everything is it? If it was then newly qualified drivers would be the safest. But statistically they are the most dangerous, thats why their insurance premiums are off the scale.

nowtelse2do - 2015-08-04 3:00 PM

Peter James - 2015-08-04 1:41 PM

I think Brian is referring to Motorways Peter ;-)

Dave

Not just on motorways, Dave. Peter said he drove slower because he was being tailgated. So, it seems to me it should have been "safe" to travel faster, at least up to the speed he was previously travelling at, at least until he could let the truck pass. But I don't fully understand Peter's point about safety. Due to its weight/size a 40 tonne truck must surely become unsafe at lower speeds than most motorhomes can safely sustain? So, I would rather think a motorhome could outrun a truck under most circumstances, assuming the truck driver is reasonably sane! No?

I had in mind something like this (from Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, by Lewis Caroll):

"Will you walk a little faster?" said a whiting to a snail,

"There's a porpoise close behind us, and he's treading on my tail.

See how eagerly the lobsters and the turtles all advance!

They are waiting on the shingle – will you come and join the dance?

Will you, won't you, will you, won't you, will you join the dance?

Will you, won't you, will you, won't you, won't you join the dance?

"You can really have no notion how delightful it will be

When they take us up and throw us, with the lobsters, out to sea!"

But the snail replied "Too far, too far!" and gave a look askance --

Said he thanked the whiting kindly, but he would not join the dance.

Would not, could not, would not, could not, would not join the dance.

Would not, could not, would not, could not, could not join the dance.

"What matters it how far we go?" his scaly friend replied.

"There is another shore, you know, upon the other side.

The further off from England the nearer is to France --

Then turn not pale, beloved snail, but come and join the dance.

Will you, won't you, will you, won't you, will you join the dance?

Will you, won't you, will you, won't you, won't you join the dance? :-D

Purposely slowing down to annoy another driver is guaranteed to inflame tempers.

This is my one and only comment on this thread. It is as good as a 'gassing' thread, so I will settle down with my popcorn and enjoy the entertainment.

Peter James - 2015-08-04 5:18

It only cost me a couple of hundred pounds to get my HGV licence, driving tests were easier then.

Yes but half of that was to buy a new red flag for the guy to walk in front of you.

Nobody mentioned length of time drivers held a licence, some new drivers are far better than those with 10-20 years experience, I suggested people 'walk a mile in someone else's shoes' please do not make my suggestion anything other than what was clearly written.

I am always a little nervous with people who have so much time and intellectual capacity to spare when driving that they are able to observe and analyse the behaviour of the drivers of the vehicles around them, I find that it is all I can do to try to be safe in the situations in which I find myself.

My sixty years of motoring, millions of miles, the fantastic range of vehicles that I have driven, my experience as a chauffeur at the highest level have all taught me that there is still a long way to go before I have reached that level of competence that I am qualified to criticize others.

If we all concentrate on making sure that we are doing everything we can, and should, to keep ourselves, our passengers, and other road users safe when we are driving, that may be the best contribution we can make to improve the safety of our roads.

AGD

I think it may be time to clarify what I meant and/or what I was trying to say when I started this thread.

My propositions were intended to be :-

a) I rarely have conflict with trucks.

The reason I rarely have conflict with trucks is that I either keep out of their way (easy to do as I have an inherently faster vehicle) or if in the mood I travel at their speed.

b) Although I do not have conflict with trucks I have observed that they travel very close together and I questioned how safe this practice was particularly given the clear advice contained in for example the highway code. Please note the double question mark in my post.

Explanations regarding the technical reasons why trucks bunch up have been given with some clarity and I understand and sympathise with them. I retain a concern about their safety which can remain academic unless and until I am involved in an accident with one.

c) At no time have I questioned the general competence of LGV drivers. I simply would not make such a sweeping generalisation. Like anyone with any significant degree of driving miles I have seen appalling and in some cases life endangering driving by all classes of road user.

c) I do have an issue with the aggressive tailgating by coaches and I consider that this practice is never justified. I believe that that is also the law

d) I don't go out of my way to hold up coaches trucks or anyone else up however road conditions do not always allow you to speed up or for a tailgater to pass .

e) I am not the holy joe in Brians post.

f) I use a satnav to determine my speed and set my cruise so I am confident that when I say I am going at 62 mph that is as good as it can be in terms of accuracy.

i really don't want to add any more to my postings

HymerVan - 2015-08-04 7:58 PM...................e) I am not the holy joe in Brians post..............

Goodness! If you felt that comment was aimed at you Laurence, I apologise. For clarity, I did not assume you were that man, nor was it my intention to imply you were, or even might be!

Guest Peter James
Brian Kirby - 2015-08-04 5:55 PM

assuming the truck driver is reasonably sane!

When it comes to speed you can't always assume that :-(

Guest Peter James
747 - 2015-08-04 6:03 PM

Purposely slowing down to annoy another driver

I don't know anyone who does that.

I only slow down to minimise the danger if they are tailgating too close.

My first post on the Forum so I hesitate as this topic is proving controversial. However, surely it is the case that:

1. there are good and bad drivers in all classes of vehicles;

2. almost all of us will at some stage not drive as well as we could/should - not good but probably a fact;

3. there may be understandable reasons why people tailgate eg frustration, fuel consumption or whatever; but

4. whilst tailgating MAY be understandable it breaches the Highway Code and is inherently unsafe. Thus, it should not happen. It puts the safety of others at risk.

In short, tailgating is explainable but can not be justified.

4 :$ :$

Peter James - 2015-08-05 5:41 AM

747 - 2015-08-04 6:03 PM

Purposely slowing down to annoy another driver

I don't know anyone who does that.

I only slow down to minimise the danger if they are tailgating too close.

I think we would all happily accept that, Peter. However, the potential problem seems not to be your understandable motivation, but how your actions are liable to be interpreted by the following driver, who may well be under time pressures. It does seem a bit counter-intuitive when being pressed by someone obviously in a hurry, to further hinder them. For some reason, fire and petrol come to mind! :-D

Archived