Dangerous Driving by Trucks and Buses ??

HymerVan

Guest Joe90

Well I for one wouldn't "happily accept that " :-S so you can count me out of the "all" (!)

He describes them as pillocks, I think that says it all

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Fellbound - 2015-08-05 6:55 AM

My first post on the Forum so I hesitate as this topic is proving controversial. However, surely it is the case that:

1. there are good and bad drivers in all classes of vehicles;

2. almost all of us will at some stage not drive as well as we could/should - not good but probably a fact;

3. there may be understandable reasons why people tailgate eg frustration, fuel consumption or whatever; but

4. whilst tailgating MAY be understandable it breaches the Highway Code and is inherently unsafe. Thus, it should not happen. It puts the safety of others at risk.

In short, tailgating is explainable but can not be justified.

4 :$ :$

Hi Felbound and welcome to the forum.

Very brave of you to come on here and talk sense !

;-)

If I have a problem with Tailgaters I just video them they get to see a Led sign saying smile for the Camera. It works cost, me £15 to make up from Maplin’s. Its linked to my reversing Camera and raspberry pi with loads of memory, all with Gps and date and time

I have made a few calls to companies and sent them the video. The coach companies don’t like it, So I say ok I will send it to the Police

But I will say I have very few problems with slower moving vehicles as I move away from them its usually when I am in the overtaking lane stuck behind a slower vehicle or someone hogging the outside lane GRR.

Guest Joe90
So how close do you get when your stuck behind someone else.............presumably about half a mile away, just in case they think your tailgating as well eh ? jeez

malc d - 2015-08-05 12:14 PM

Fellbound - 2015-08-05 6:55 AM

My first post on the Forum so I hesitate as this topic is proving controversial. However, surely it is the case that:

1. there are good and bad drivers in all classes of vehicles;

2. almost all of us will at some stage not drive as well as we could/should - not good but probably a fact;

3. there may be understandable reasons why people tailgate eg frustration, fuel consumption or whatever; but

4. whilst tailgating MAY be understandable it breaches the Highway Code and is inherently unsafe. Thus, it should not happen. It puts the safety of others at risk.

In short, tailgating is explainable but can not be justified.

4 :$ :$

Hi Felbound and welcome to the forum.

Very brave of you to come on here and talk sense !

;-)

Thanks Malc!

Guest Peter James
Brian Kirby - 2015-08-05 11:10 AM

Peter James - 2015-08-05 5:41 AM

747 - 2015-08-04 6:03 PM

Purposely slowing down to annoy another driver

I don't know anyone who does that.

I only slow down to minimise the danger if they are tailgating too close.

I think we would all happily accept that, Peter. However, the potential problem seems not to be your understandable motivation, but how your actions are liable to be interpreted by the following driver, who may well be under time pressures. It does seem a bit counter-intuitive when being pressed by someone obviously in a hurry, to further hinder them. For some reason, fire and petrol come to mind! :-D

Well if the tailgating driver misinterprets my motivation thats not my fault, and since he obviously cares nothing for my safety why should I care about his time schedules?

I'd rather deal with road rage than be ploughed over by a tailgaiting lorry.

Peter James - 2015-08-05 5:35 PM

Well if the tailgating driver misinterprets my motivation thats not my fault...

How is a following driver supposed to "interpret" the "motivation" a driver in front who repeatedly slows down for *no apparent reason? (..*other than to perhaps play silly b*ggers and/or to just p*ss off the following driver?..)... :-S

..Something behind is too close...so I'll slow down and make it even closer..., seems a somewhat counter productive approach... :-S

Guest Peter James
pepe63 - 2015-08-05 5:56 PM

Peter James - 2015-08-05 5:35 PM

Well if the tailgating driver misinterprets my motivation thats not my fault...

How is a following driver supposed to "interpret" the "motivation" a driver in front who repeatedly slows down for *no apparent reason? (..*other than to perhaps play silly b*ggers and/or to just p*ss off the following driver?..)... :-S

..Something behind is too close...so I'll slow down and make it even closer..., seems a somewhat counter productive approach... :-S

Slow down so there is less chance of the tailgating vehicle being unable to stop.

If the tailgating driver is so ignorant of the obvious danger he is causing by following so close at speed and so mentally deranged he thinks you are slowing down just to annoy him - how can you educate him?

If there is no room to pull over (not that you should have to) All you can do is reduce the danger of a collision by slowing down

Peter James - 2015-08-05 5:35 PM..........................I'd rather deal with road rage than be ploughed over by a tailgaiting lorry.

I follow your logic Peter, but I don't agree! :-D It seems to me that you increase the risk of what you fear rather than reduce it, but that is your prerogative. Whatever, bon voyage!

How many of us have been on a Defensive Driving Course? Such courses show you how to deal with people/vehicles with a different approach to driving.

Lorry drivers and coach drivers are probably the most regulated of any on the road. From having to pass various driving tests, maintaining a Certificate of Professional Competence, having regulated driving hours, strict vehicle maintenance checks every time they go on the road including vehicle default reporting, regular vehicle servicing, ferocious Traffic Commissioners who exist to help make the roads safe for all, the Police and DVSA, and over the last few years, telemetrics in the cab which provide real time information to the bosses as to how well the truck is being driven.

The drivers cope with all this and all the traffic to deliver goods and services for our benefit.

Give them a break. They're not perfect and they have bad apples but there is a system that does deal with them more ruthlessly than car drivers, or motorhomers, if they fall short.

Driving standards have adapted to the pressures of modern traffic. It is reasonable to ask whether the previous standards are now the right ones against which to judge others and to seek to understand the lot of these professional drivers. But it's up to us to adjust as well to ensure we continue to see fewer casualties and we all arrive safely at our destination.

A lorry delivered my soap box!

donna miller - 2015-08-04 3:10 PM

keninpalamos - 2015-08-04 12:41 PM

donna miller - 2015-08-04 10:20 AM

My reply to all you perfect drivers is this; spend a few thousand pounds on training and obtaining a LGV or PSV licence, get yourself a job in the industry and see it from the other perspective. Then and only then will you be qualified to comment as to why lorry drivers have to drive the way they do.

Sorry Donna that is still no excuse for tailgating. If you hold a HGV/PSV you are a professional driver and therefore should behave as such no matter how frustrating it is being stuck behind the pillock with the doggy speedo. It is not a license to drive dangerously. It only takes a handful of bad companies and HGV drivers to get the industry a bad name.

Please highlight where I mentioned it was acceptable to tailgate.

The thread has mentioned several gripes about lorry and coach drivers.

Sorry, you didn't say "tailgating" So can I ask what you were inferring when you stated " why they have to drive the way they do"

Dave, Undertakers are too busy, sadly, dealing with cyclists who believe going up the inside of vehicles is a safe option.

Cars seem to do most of the undertaking. I notice this every time I go from the Wirral across to the M60 around Manchester. There are several converging motorways and some car drivers would rather go up the inside to undertake than stay in the right lane for their junction and pass me a few hundred yards down the road.

Then there is the car driver who overtakes me on roundabouts ... The A50 and A47 seems to have their fair share of this. I think they've learned not to overtake foreign trucks on roundabouts on the A50 as some of these stay in the left hand lane to turn right which makes from some interesting observations as around Stoke/Derby it is a dual carriageway.

Guest Peter James
Brian Kirby - 2015-08-05 6:41 PM

Peter James - 2015-08-05 5:35 PM..........................I'd rather deal with road rage than be ploughed over by a tailgaiting lorry.

I follow your logic Peter, but I don't agree! :-D It seems to me that you increase the risk of what you fear rather than reduce it, !

Well at least I will have slowed them down to reduce the damage when they run into me, So I have a better chance of being around to see them brought to justice :-D

Guest Peter James
Brock - 2015-08-05 9:01 PM

Lorry drivers and coach drivers are probably the most regulated of any on the road. From having to pass various driving tests, maintaining a Certificate of Professional Competence, having regulated driving hours, strict vehicle maintenance checks every time they go on the road including vehicle default reporting, regular vehicle servicing, ferocious Traffic Commissioners who exist to help make the roads safe for all, the Police and DVSA, and over the last few years, telemetrics in the cab which provide real time information to the bosses as to how well the truck is being driven.

True. But none of that stops them tailgaiting does it :-(

Peter, it doesn't stop them tailgating nor is it something I condone. Having a 44 ton lorry bearing down on you and then following you as close as it can is unnerving. However, behaviours must always be considered in the environment in which people live/work before passing judgement.

Defensive driving techniques help minimise the risk for the driver being tailgated. You own your space on the road and what you do with it is up to you. Lorry drivers who follow another lorry too closely know the risks and accept them. Just stay out of their way otherwise you 'import' their risks.

Guest Peter James
Brock - 2015-08-06 1:42 PM

Defensive driving techniques help minimise the risk for the driver being tailgated.

True. And 'defensive driving' is slowing down. What else can you do when there is nowhere to pull over?

Guest Joe90
Peter James - 2015-08-07 8:13 AM

Brock - 2015-08-06 1:42 PM

Defensive driving techniques help minimise the risk for the driver being tailgated.

True. And 'defensive driving' is slowing down. What else can you do when there is nowhere to pull over?

You could try slamming on your brakes, put in a claim for whiplash injuries, then you could afford to pay your council tax instead of moaning about it being more than the Queens. ;-)

The prevalence of bad driving is increasing, presumably reflecting the increasing failure of enforcement rather than some incrediby rapid evolutionary change in the nature of the homo sapiens species, i.e. because there are less traffic police around these days - but I doubt it's worse for the drivers of any particular class of vehicles than the rest, even if lorry drivers seem younger these days and some are prone to hog the middle lane, which would never have happened in the old days.

Bus drivers are mostly very good drivers but yesterday a bus driver held me, and lots of other people, up repeatedly by waiting at each bus stop just waiting, presumably because of his timetable. On double yellow lines too. I wondered if he was committing an offence by waiting (rather than stopping simply to set down or pick up) but he obviously didn't give a bugger about anyone else. Not the norm by any means of course.

But I blame feminism for a new type of bad driving too; I never used to get carved up by pushy women at all until the last few years and now there are lots of them doing it.

Guest Peter James
StuartO - 2015-08-07 10:23 AM

yesterday a bus driver held me, and lots of other people, up repeatedly by waiting at each bus stop just waiting, presumably because of his timetable. On double yellow lines too. I wondered if he was committing an offence by waiting (rather than stopping simply to set down or pick up) but he obviously didn't give a bugger about anyone else. .

What would you have said if you had arrived at the bus stop on time to catch the bus and found he had left early. 'What a considerate bus driver, he didn't want to cause an obstruction by waiting at the bus stop' *-)

If a bus driver runs late or early, then the bus company will probably know [buses are monitored] and will take disciplinary action against the bus driver. That may be a simple word in his shell like or, if it is a regular occurrence, more forceful action which could, in extreme cases, lead to suspension and dismissal.

I am a regular user of buses and I like them to run to time. Hence the bus company is under pressure from its passengers like me to run to timetable and that pressure is passed on to the bus driver. So it is not the bus driver who doesn't care about others; bus drivers do not like sitting twiddling their thumbs for a couple of minutes or so at bus stops. I would like my buses to run without inconveniencing others. Sometimes, that does not happen. Do I care?

When I'm stuck behind a bus which is having to mark time I recognise that if everyone on that bus chose to travel by car or motorhome, then the traffic queue would be even longer. I appreciate they have been considerate enough to take a bus instead of adding to the traffic jams. If that means I get held up a little, I'll take that rather than have another 30+ vehicles on the road.

Guest pelmetman

I used to quite enjoy driving buses..............It's when I opened the doors the problems started 8-) .........

Archived