Car Drivers????

dickyc2

Vaughan where did you get that figure from . The DSA advises us thru the highway code and various other publications that the car stopping distance at 30 mph is 23 metres/75 feet in the dry. In the wet and slippy conditions stretching the distance by a factor of 10X is not unusual Docted

8-) STOP STOP STOP NOW!!!!!!!!!,as Clive has already mentioned, read my profile, tongue in cheek, a joke, most of you guys take life too serious, i do not drive like a lunatic and take un-nesassery risks, i leave that to my hobby, as the saying goes- right place right time, and that is not on the queens highway, but on the race track. T T F N >:-)

[QUOTE]bill h - 2006-11-01 12:00 AM dickyc2 If you get ratty driving then you should not drive at all, it does nothing except annoy others and is the first step in causing a crash. bill h [/QUOTE] I'M a very calm driver, it just annoys me what other road users do, i find it's worse when i'm pulling the car trailer. I also used to have morons overtake me when i pulled a caravan, only for the car driver to realise that the traffic was holding me up and there was aque in front of me, so no i don't think i should stop driving ;-)

[QUOTE]dickyc2 - 2006-11-01 9:52 PM [QUOTE]bill h - 2006-11-01 12:00 AM dickyc2 If you get ratty driving then you should not drive at all, it does nothing except annoy others and is the first step in causing a crash. bill h [/QUOTE] I'M a very calm driver, it just annoys me what other road users do, i find it's worse when i'm pulling the car trailer. I also used to have morons overtake me when i pulled a caravan, only for the car driver to realise that the traffic was holding me up and there was aque in front of me, so no i don't think i should stop driving ;-)[/QUOTE] by the way i'm only in my mid 30's so plenty of years left in me

At 35 you've years to adjust, when you get to 80 its easier to let them all have their mad moment, I guess we've all done stupid things at some stage. I have a son-in-law who I refuse to go with as he's not safe (in my opinion) for I value my life more. bill h

Well I have to admit nothing wind's me up more than some cheeky git taking my braking space. I hate hate hate tail gating someone . I love a nice big distance that I can see what the hell's going on. SOooooooooooo if someone pulls in my space I don't get even but that does not stop me getting P***ed with them. Ihave left the gap, now they want it . These people that often do this have no respect for others . So what do I do, slow down trying to create my gap again . How long do you go on doing that for. Bit like tesco's someone bump's into me I say sorry ? spend the whole shopping trip saying sorry waiting patiently to go down an isle that's packed then someone comes along a scoots infront of you totally oblivious to the fact that you are there. IGNORANT . Not sure ? Maybe they only look after Number 1 ... What a shame I was not made that way. Final pet hate ...........Drivers that change lanes to the one that they think is the fastest ........funny they always meet me at the lights. IDIOTS *-)

Micheal,Why get so wound up just because you're overtaken,the gap is to ensure you dont run into the back of the guy in front if he brakes sharply.If you were driving a car which obviousely is more capable of overtaking than a heavy motorhome then why shoudn't he ? all you have to do is ease off the gas peddle a fraction so the gap increases to enable him to pull in,breaking is very seldom needed if one reacts the moment the overtaking vehicle starts to pull out.If theres several vehicle travelling slower then whats an overtaker supposed to do, try to overtake the whole line in one go!!!! do you hang back behind everything you catch up to if you were in a car ?I certainly wouldn't if the occasion arose,as long as the thing is carried out safely whats the problem.I dispise the idiot who deliberatly tries to close the gap to prevent someone pulling in when his overtaking is perfectly safe. Whats needed on the road is a bit more patience & tolerance & less aggression.Driving is the one profession where there's more self appointed experts than any other profession I know of. (lol)

>:-( Your the guy then that causes hold ups on the motorway when they have roadworks,(one lane closed off), i suppose you let the que jumpers in and slow the traffic following, i was a proffesional driver at one stage, so yes i do know how traffic works, and as for delibratley closing the gap, i am guilty of doing this when the lanes at the traffic lights go from 2 lanes to 1,(que jumpers again), these are the guys that cause accidents by cutting you up and causing you to brake hard ,catching out the motorist that is following you, and wallop an accident caused by a driver that is impatiant, causing grief to innocent motorists, and increased insurance premiums because of their aggresiveness. (!) (!)

Now now Dickyc2 dont get all bitter & twisted I dont have any aggression at all .Yes it is a bit annoying when people try to get in at the last minute when it narrows down to 1 lane ,I certainly dont stop to let them in but it doesnt cost anything to just let them slip in,its usually just 1.Equally so how often do you see everybody get into 1 lane when its still another mile or 2 before you reach the the roadworks?At what point should you blend into the 1 lane,this is where a bit of common sense comes in. *-)

Hi, I try usually try to use the "dot and carry" method. If two lines of traffic are merging, I will let one vehicle from the other lane pull in front of me, and expect the next vehicle in the other lane to pull in behind me. Okay, I'm not rigid in this, sometime I might let several in, sometimes none. What it means is that both lanes travel and blend at the same speed. If everybody knows this is going to happen, they can anticipate what the driver next to them is going to do, or let then do, and probably save a smidgen of time at each intercept. Yes, I also hate those who blast up the outside towards a bottle neck, then force their way in. But there have been instances where I have found myself doing the same......usually because I'm a stranger and there was insufficient warning of the bottleneck. I remember somebody trying this on a main road out of London , only to find Plod standing in the middle of the road at the point of intended intercept......insisting that anybody in the outside lane continued onto the right fork, wherevever that led to. :-) 602

Michele, how I agree with *you*. In Jersey there is a suberb law - merge in turn... Wrote a whole load more but I could go on forever. One point though - try driving a 7.5 tonne lorry and you will quickly learn about safe stopping distances, when carved up. I'll let you in - if you let me in!

[QUOTE]W3526602 - 2006-11-03 7:52 AM Hi, I try usually try to use the "dot and carry" method. If two lines of traffic are merging, I will let one vehicle from the other lane pull in front of me, and expect the next vehicle in the other lane to pull in behind me. Okay, I'm not rigid in this, sometime I might let several in, sometimes none. What it means is that both lanes travel and blend at the same speed. If everybody knows this is going to happen, they can anticipate what the driver next to them is going to do, or let then do, and probably save a smidgen of time at each intercept. 602[/QUOTE] Hi 602, I always refer to it as the "Zipper" method. In many countries on the continent you will see a sign instructing you to use the method on the approach to many temporary obstructions. Don

Hi Stopping distances for trucks? Driving an MG Migdet at 50mph, hod down, aware of big truck some distance behind me. Suddenly my rear exhaust bracket lets go, and pipe starts to drag on road. Check mirror, signal left, poke left hand at the sky (to attract attention, indicate distress) swerve onto hard shoulder, brake. No particularly sudden manouvers. As I come to a stop, there was this loud screeching noise, a dreadful smell, and I was engulfed in smoke......as this 8-wheeler shot past me with all eight locked up solid. If I hadn't been on the verge he would have gone over me. Since when, I like to see space behind me, as well as in front. 602

I totally agree with Don & 602. I have seen this sensible system officially used once in the UK but more extensively on the continent. It seems that they want us to use it in the UK when you see signs saying "Use both lanes". I would like to see it become a law to prevent the self righteous drivers in the outside lane blocking everyones progress miles before the lanes merge and thereby creating a greater traffic jam.

Hi Tug Must agree, I get really frustrated with the silly idiots who see the lane closed sign a mile before and immediately panic and try to pull into the nearside lane, blocking the outside lane, if the powers that be wanted to stop you then more or less straight away, it would've been the 200 yards sign! All this does is cause the bottle neck much earlier on and p*ss everyone off behind. Grrrrrr ... just got back from visiting Mother in Law at hospital, stuck in ruddy traffic due to idiots who sit in the middle of 2 lanes and then hesitate like mad before pulling out by which time the 'gap' has gone. >:-)

My son in law approaching traffic lights at red on a slight down hill slope was slowing his steam roller down when some clown dived past him into the decreasing gap. The kids in the back of the car thought it was great! but when the lights changed and the car moved they were two feet away from being crushed.

Norma, I Hold a PSV Licenec from the day's when the Old London Transport was around ,25 years I have had it now . I also hold HGV class 1. In my day we had to throw the bus around on the old skid pan . None of this namby pamby stuff. Seems these day's in london that the majority of bus drivers were not even born in this country let alone have the understanding of how our traffic works. Espcially in london where it is really busy . I still can't abide people pushing in . I like it when they ask after all it only takes manners . I don't drive around pushing in this would just cause road rage . I like a gap at the front and the back. If someone is to close I slow down this usually winds them up enough to overtake . However I have been known to offer them my back end. I am not usually an aggressive driver and like to just sit back and let em all sort it out .... But occasionally I am guilty of taking em on . I do agree with some on here about the you take turn & let one in then hopefully someone else will as well . That way we would all get along finer. At the moment where I live its a bit like taking your life in your hand's I suppose that's because we live next to stanstead airport. You see we have rather a few easten european friends coming in to the country. and all we seem to see is five or six squeezed into a car going round and round the roundabout totally lost ... I steer clear ;-)

[QUOTE]W3526602 - 2006-11-04 6:40 AM Hi, Two RAF Leyland Hippos trundling along in close convoy. A Morris 1000 overtakes the rear one, and pulls into the gap.......driver then realises that they are joined together with a solid towbar. Ooops! 602[/QUOTE] Hi 602 We were taking this Valiant fusalage from Cambridge to Manston when some old boy in a mini tried to get between the wagon and trailer. Those were the days.

Archived