Scotland

Poppy

Just returned from a few days in the Pitlochery area.Noticed that there was very good motorhome parking provision in different places and plenty of European motorhomers.I also noticed that in many of the car/motorhome parks that parking is free between 6pm and 8 am.Think you could probably overnight there.

Parking is free in all Perth & Kinross CC carparks all Sunday too. This isn't very clear from the Pay & Display signs at Pitlochry though and you see a regular trail of tourists pumping money into the machine for no reason. I did email P&KCC about this and they have said that they will improve the signage.

Duncan MMM - 2015-08-04 12:22 PM

You can park in the car park at the end of the high street in Pitlochry overnight for free and also, just outside the town, there's a car park just over the Tummel River that has free overnight parking with no restrictions.

Oh dear Duncan. :-(

It will look like you are encouraging wildcamping (or freeloading as it is described on here). There will be repercussions by the morally outraged hardcore members. :-S

You must stay on Club sites exclusively for one month and be prepared to show receipts. 8-)

747 - 2015-08-04 6:08 PM

It will look like you are encouraging wildcamping (or freeloading as it is described on here). There will be repercussions by the morally outraged hardcore members. :-S

You must stay on Club sites exclusively for one month and be prepared to show receipts. 8-)

lol. Why else do people go to Scotland? It isn't for the weather that's for sure...

Duncan MMM - 2015-08-04 11:48 PM

Why else do people go to Scotland? It isn't for the weather that's for sure...

Midgies?

Rain = few midgies

Wind = few midgies

Wind and Rain = no midgies

No rain = lotsa midgies

No wind = lotsa midgies

No wind or rain = lotsa lotsa lotsa midgies

Sunshine = lotsa lotsa lotsa lotsa lotsa lotsa midgies

Quote :  lol. Why else do people go to Scotland? It isn't for the weather that's for sure...
Hey........ Why do you think Scotland is SO Green Duncan. tis the rain and all your Scottish Whiskies  are made from the same rain.....God Bless it.
You will find a great deal of small towns have somewhere you can park overnight for free, here in Newton Stewart the Main car park behind the main street has often one or two Motorhomes parked overnight, there is a Sainsbury and a Aldi within 100 yards of the car park. plus great view of the River Cree ,(Salmon River), So turn Left onto the A75 and follow it there are many towns worth a visit along the A75 and beyond,   worth a visit Rain or No.

Duncan MMM - 2015-08-04 11:48 PM

747 - 2015-08-04 6:08 PM

lol. Why else do people go to Scotland? It isn't for the weather that's for sure...

Sounds like you haven't been there Duncan.

It's for the stunning scenery ( when you can see it ) - west coast - the islands - and up north.

Been there many times - usually in June - mostly good weather -

( and have rarely been bothered by midges ).

;-)

malc d - 2015-08-05 4:49 PM

It's for the stunning scenery ( when you can see it ) - west coast - the islands - and up north.

Why risk the rain when for a similar overall cost you can go to the Alps, The Pyrenees or The Picos de Europa where you get stunning scenery, stunning sunshine (mostly!) NO midgies and sensible prices on most things.

We spent many years of annual holiday in Scotland from the 70's to the 90's and, sure, I do still miss it but I don't miss the weather, the midgies or the prices, especially in the more remote areas.

Tracker - 2015-08-05 6:19 PM

Why risk the rain when for a similar overall cost you can go to the Alps, The Pyrenees or The Picos de Europa where you get stunning scenery, stunning sunshine (mostly!) NO midgies and sensible prices on most things.

We spent many years of annual holiday in Scotland from the 70's to the 90's and, sure, I do still miss it but I don't miss the weather, the midgies or the prices, especially in the more remote areas.

I agree, I love Scotland but living in the south can be in the Dordogne quicker, even allowing for the 1 1/2 hour ferry crossing.

And instead of sitting stationary on the wreck-strewn M6 I can be driving on pleasant empty roads, and no midges!.

No contest!

Tracker - 2015-08-05 6:19 PM

Ach hoots mon, sae oor stra'egy tae repel the Sassenach hordes is workin' jist fine then. Guid riddance tae ye all, ye tight fisted jessies. feart o' a wee bittie insect.

God save the Queen (Nicola,that is)

candapack - 2015-08-05 8:17 PM

Ach hoots mon, sae oor stra'egy tae repel the Sassenach hordes is workin' jist fine then. Guid riddance tae ye all, ye tight fisted jessies. feart o' a wee bittie insect.

Treason - infamy - but at least Sturgeon and Salmond should feel at home in all that wind and water, that is after all their speciality for feeding to the gullible!

Tracker - 2015-08-05 8:32 PM

candapack - 2015-08-05 8:17 PM

Treason - infamy - but at least Sturgeon and Salmond should feel at home in all that wind and water, that is after all their speciality for feeding to the gullible!

Just look how the votes were cast in your own homeland at the last election and you will see gullibility big style.

Billggski - 2015-08-05 10:32 PM

Love Scotland, except the weather.

Love France, except the French.

We need an exchange.

Absolutely!

France is far too good for the French - it should be exclusively for the English

Scotland is far too wet windy and midgie for the Scots - give it to the French

The Scots can then have one of the barren inhospitable independant Middle East countries that no other bugger wants because they are all coming here - via France.

The good news is that there is an ever increasing band of us reclaiming Aquitaine for Britain, we are buying it up, one house at a time. It will take some time, but we have started. As far as Calais is concerned, we already have a UK border post there, so it might not be too difficult to reclaim that, so you can see, the campaign has begun.

As for Scotland, if only the English had been allowed to vote in that referendum, so let's see how we can improve Hadrian's Wall, and whilst we are at it, let's see about widening and deepening Offa's Dyke, it might take some time, but as Mousey Tongue said, " the greatest journey starts with a single step.".

AGD

'

I was amazed at the house prices in France in June. France and Spain house prices are much lower than when we were considering buying a few years ago.

The previous owners of our MH did one trip to Spain and realised they could by a house for the same price so sold it to us after 3 months' ownership.

It seems the same in Scotland, you could buy a castle for the price of a semi near London.

Archived