When is the time right to replace the clutch.

Cliffy

We have a 2004 Autotrail Tracker with a 2.0 ltr JTD Engine which has done 58000 miles.

I have no reason to think there is anything wrong with the clutch but I am thinking that I should have it replaced before it starts to go wrong. Preventive maintenance and all that.

Is 58000 miles the right time to change it or should I just keep my fingers crossed that it does not give up the ghost on a French Alpine pass or other similar inconvenient place.

I do around 6000 miles per year so if I don't replace it this year when does the time come when it would be prudent to do so, bearing in mind that the van is almost always travelling at it's maximum weight, 3 tonne.

These vans are designed to go to the moon and back so 58k is just run in.

As long as the clutch does not slip, the take up is not right at the very top of the pedal travel and is smooth and the pedal still has free play when released leave well enough alone would be my view.

Maybe I've been lucky but I've owned or driven lots of vehicles over 50 years some with astronomical mileages and I have never had a clutch fail on me - yet!

Blimey Cliffy, what a question. All I can say is that I had a car that had covered 30,000 miles and the clutch went. I also had a Volvo truck that did 650,000 mile. My son then took it over and covered another 250.000 mile. He left the job 4 year ago and as far as I know it's still going and on the same clutch. The engine and gearbox had never been touched apart from routine servicing but the front brakes were a load of trouble over the years and Volvo could not find out what was wrong with them.

The answer to your question.....how long is a piece of string?

Dave

I have known people replace clutches on a regular basis, every couple of years or so. The usual cause is abuse of the clutch.

My careful use of the clutch and general perfection of driving techniques ensures that my clutch lasts forever.

So, if you slip the clutch, make lots of racing starts etc. then the clutch will wear out quickly.

The trouble is we all have bad habits and we are unable to recognise them. I once had an advanced instructor take me out for a couple of hours, boy, did I have a few bad habits, now cured of course.

So, do you feel lucky? Well do ya?

H

Guest mikethe bike
White van man would do that in a year, and they do abuse it. I bet they don't replace it every year. Go figure. If it gives you peace of mind, have it changed. I personally would leave well alone, unless it's slipping.

My clutch, on a 2.8JTD of 2006. has lived a tough life with a trailer and car bing pulled as well as 4 tons of MH all the time - and there have been several occassions when burning smells and smoke have been produced as the clutch has suffered exceptional punishment, for example when I've had to try to reverse uphill out of trouble or do a marginal hill start on a very steep incline. Maybe three or four times altogether.

But so far so good, despite over 40,000 miles. Apart from the burning episodes, which of course I do minimise when they occur, it performs as advertised, with never any indication of slipping at all. I took advice from my garage who effectively said "it ain't broke, don't mend it" so I'm still soldiering on with it.

I did enquire about getting a heavier duty clutch fitted but appartly there is no such thing for a Fiat 2.8 JTD, which surprised me.

Guest Peter James

You can't replace everything on a van which might fail.

I have driven a lorry back from Italy with a slipping clutch. Its basically a matter of reducing the engine torque by using a lower gear, in order to reduce clutch slippage and further wear. Cots a little more in fuel, but saved far more on the cost of getting it done over there :-D

I wouldn't even think about it unless it's slipping, could be the worst thing you could do. Replacement clutches even genuine manufactures ones are generally of a lower quality than the original fitment.

Unless you live in the middle of London using the van everyday I would expect it to last at least 150,000 miles.

Often as a clutch get near the end of its life and before it slips it starts to loose smoothness as you move off from rest or a touch juddery when slipped during low speed manoeuvres.

If none of this applies stop worrying.

Ps My 3.5 ton VW lt has its original clutch with 80.000 miles on the clock and I am off to Malvern and then to France for some weeks. Mind you being RWD a clutch job is a bit simpler than yours but will still be about £ 600 for the dual mass flywheel and new plates.

58K is not much but it depends on where you drive and how you (or previous owners) have driven it.

All motorway work and the clutch outa last forever. If you do a lot of urban driving in heavy traffic on inclines and are inclined to let the clutch burn rather than use the handbrake then you'll have to replace sooner than later.

Archived