Fiat Ducato Fuel Filter Replacement

mikeymay

Peter James - 2015-08-18 9:07 PM

euroserv - 2015-08-18 5:51 PM

. It really does not matter whether you have the proper tool for removing the lid because you have to hold it in a vice or something while you remove the lid anyway.

Nick

I don't have the proper tool so may be mistaken, but looking at Joes picture there are 2 pieces - one for holding the housing and the other for holding the lid?

YES, well spotted, that is the whole point, part of this tool is to hold the body in a vice, the screw top can be bloody tight to get off, and it's even bloody tighter to screw it back on, and to get the lid and body lined up with the indent marks on both which I only achieved by using a thumping great welders G clamp to screw the lid on.

The action of just putting the body in a vice without protection ( how many garages have done that I wonder ) can end up fracturing it, even though that may not be immediately apparent,

and in any event it's nigh on impossible to hold it due to it's shape without whacking the vice up big time, like I said, a bloody nightmare of a design, hence the tool.

Guest Peter James

Googling the part number ADK85502 (Edit: or Laser 5843A ) brings up lots of places selling them at prices ranging from £84 8-) to £17.50 :-D - seems widely available as many other vehicles have the same diesel filter and housing.

I changed my diesel filter 40,000 miles ago by putting the cap, rather than the body, in the vice and it hasn't leaked, but I think I might have to open my wallet 8-) and buy the proper tool rather than risk it again.

The surprise is how long you wouldn't have known about it if I hadn't flagged it up, I'm deep in Sheep country, but have known about this tool for getting on for a year

I wonder how many non Fiat garages know about it, that people entrust their servicing to, could well explain so many being knackered up and leaking.

Guest Peter James

Looks a good price but there is no mention of this tool on the Laser Tools website.

It is presumably not *exactly* the same tool as mentioned on the Blueprint site as a

different brand, although the vendor seems to have sold a lot of them. I did not read

the feedback.

Let us kow how it is when you get it please.

Harvey

My son has his own repair business. I e-mailed him to ask if he

had one of these tools and explained about this leak history

being reported.

He said he doesn't have one and has fitted 'loads' of those

filters which are fitted on many different vehicle makes

including Vauxhalls and Renaults as well as the Fiat, Citroen,

Peugeots He has never had a 'comeback' after fitting.

He uses two filter straps: presumably one on the housing

and one on the top part.

He doesn't clamp the body in a vice so that may be the

main reason for these failures.

I reckon the special tool at 16 quid though seems worth it for diy.

Harvey

Guest Peter James
Harvey - 2015-08-22 10:55 PM

My son has his own repair business. I e-mailed him to ask if he

had one of these tools and explained about this leak history

being reported.

He said he doesn't have one and has fitted 'loads' of those

filters which are fitted on many different vehicle makes

including Vauxhalls and Renaults as well as the Fiat, Citroen,

Peugeots He has never had a 'comeback' after fitting.

He uses two filter straps: presumably one on the housing

and one on the top part.

He doesn't clamp the body in a vice so that may be the

main reason for these failures.

I reckon the special tool at 16 quid though seems worth it for diy.

Harvey

A filter strap digs in - I have buckled metal canister filters with them - which of course doesn't matter as you are disposing of them. But I guess its still kinder than putting the plastic tapered body in a vice 8-)

Guest Peter James
Harvey - 2015-08-21 5:05 PM

Looks a good price but there is no mention of this tool on the Laser Tools website.

It is presumably not *exactly* the same tool as mentioned on the Blueprint site as a

different brand, although the vendor seems to have sold a lot of them. I did not read

the feedback.

Let us kow how it is when you get it please.

Harvey

Arrived today and I have just used it to change the diesel filter on my X2/50 (2008 Citroen Relay) van. Its a Good Tool, worth getting even if you only use it once. The filter housing sits in the bottom part, located in a groove which stops it turning without stressing the housing and risking damage. The top part has a standard 1/2" square drive so you can use an ordinary torque wrench to tighten the cap to the recommended torque of 30nm. Cheapest price I found £15.99 delivered - here is the link again: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-RELEASE-FUEL-FILTER-REMOVAL-TOOL-KIT-LOTS-OF-VEHICLES-115mm-ID-GM-OPEL/181469008419?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20140122125356%26meid%3Dbe05ea012bfb4241a4186ce2c789bf03%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D321298368373

Archived