France ?

rolling r

Brian Kirby - 2015-08-09 11:46 PM

LordThornber - 2015-08-09 2:10 PM

Brian, I think me excluding naturist sites has distorted my figures 8-)

Martyn

But why would you do that, Martyn? :-D

Seems like Martyn is involved in some sort of cover up.

;-)

Brian Kirby - 2015-08-09 11:46 PM

LordThornber - 2015-08-09 2:10 PM

Brian, I think me excluding naturist sites has distorted my figures 8-)

Martyn

But why would you do that, Martyn? :-D

Why indeed Brian 8-)

Then again the thought of us parading our bits & bobs is not for the faint hearted :D

Martyn

lennyhb - 2015-08-10 9:44 AM

rupert123 - 2015-08-09 10:04 PM

lennyhb - 2015-08-09 3:25 PM

rupert123 - 2015-08-09 2:16 PM

lennyhb - 2015-08-09 1:43 PM

I was referring to the just the volcano area, what we found although a lot of sites are listed in books as being open they were in fact either closed or only open to residents not tourers. We found out the hard way, before we had solar, batteries were getting very low did manage to find an Aire with EHU next to a closed site this was the 1st week of September.

Well Lenny as you keep telling us you are not a site user. We were in the central massif last year in September and had no problem finding sites open. The area I am talking about is from Puy de Dome down to about Rodez. Your info is a bit out of date and I would doubt you drive around looking for a new layby to park in and taking notes on the way how many sites are open, why would you. It all makes me wonder if your 'We do not use sites' is a touch exaggerated and you are a secret site user. :$

Last year spent 60 nights in the van only 2 nights on sites ,1 in the UK, 1 in France.

So I repeat how do you know sites are closed in September?

If you actually bothered to read the earlier posts you would not need to ask the question.

Oh you do not have an answer then, fair enough.

lennyhb - 2015-08-09 1:43 PM

I was referring to the just the volcano area, what we found although a lot of sites are listed in books as being open they were in fact either closed or only open to residents not tourers. We found out the hard way, before we had solar, batteries were getting very low did manage to find an Aire with EHU next to a closed site this was the 1st week of September.

That is still a quite large area. It is high, not that densely populated, and not that popular with summer visitors. But, it is spectacular.

I can't limit the search to just the Parc Naturel Regional des Volcans d'Auvergne, but it covers a good chunk of Puy de Dome and Cantal, in which there are 83 sites listed, of which 18 show as being open from 1/9 to 31/10, so about 22% open.

To cover Martyn's blushes, only one is naturist! :-D They're not such a hardy bunch as I'd imagined!

I'm not just being a pedant. It seemed to me that while statements along the lines of "most French campsites are closed after 1 September" may be arithmetically correct, they might create an unnecessarily gloomy picture, that could put off those who haven't yet tried France in autumn.

The ACSI DVD lists 2,382 sites in France (which is an understatement as a lot of many municipals are excluded - and I've left on a couple of filters regarding facilities), of which 590, all across France, show as open 1/9 to 31/10. And, again to spare Martyn's blushes, only 7 are naturist! :-)

As others have noted, autumn is a great time to visit France, the crowds have gone, the prices fall, the weather is generally good, and there are many campsites that remain open - albeit often with facilities like swimming pools closed. Of course, some sites will have closed earlier than expected, and the odd one will have ceased trading, so no guide will ever be 100% accurate and the odd hiccup must be expected. But don't be put off going. The sites are there, and are uncrowded - to extent that you may enjoy complete solitude. What more could you possibly want?

One observation I've made is to check with the actual Campsite website for accurate (hopefully) closing dates.

I'd discounted a number of places based upon info from 3rd party sites, uk campsite as an example but even the local tourist information website 8-)

Of course only making actual contact with the site itself will confirm or not its own dates. I've emailed 3 sites today - no responses yet :(

Not as we're booking anywhere - never have , but closing dates are obviously helpful.

Martyn

LordThornber - 2015-08-10 3:53 PM

One observation I've made is to check with the actual Campsite website for accurate (hopefully) closing dates.

I'd discounted a number of places based upon info from 3rd party sites, uk campsite as an example but even the local tourist information website 8-)

Of course only making actual contact with the site itself will confirm or not its own dates. I've emailed 3 sites today - no responses yet :(

Not as we're booking anywhere - never have , but closing dates are obviously helpful.

Martyn

Good point. We turned up at a site near La Rochelle a few years ago, in the ACSI as closing 30th Oct We arrive 1st/2nd Oct to find camp closed mid September!1 Having battled our way to site through traffic, not very happy

We are off in a couple of weeks and I am looking into sites for the ACSI book , that start 23/8/15, have found a few, so am planning trip around them. I will then have to plane trip home(From Spain) end Sept, lookin for sites open on way through France to Ferry. May have to look at emergency aires (Which we don't usually use)

PJay

LordThornber - 2015-08-10 3:53 PM

One observation I've made is to check with the actual Campsite website for accurate (hopefully) closing dates........................Martyn

Very much agree with this Martyn. Not wholly conclusive though; it's the ones with 2012 prices still posted that create uncertainty! Then it's a case of plan for the worst and hope for the best. As an ex colleague of mine was always saying, "it pays to have another horse tied up round the back". :-)

Archived