France ?

rolling r

hi every one. We like going to France but is it worth the risk to go in September..

Our G B plate make us all stand out although we have a Rapido it matters not.

Three facts give me concern. (1) Immigrates (Eurotunnel) (2) Ferry strike

(3) Farmers protest. And are English welcome now. Our friends say stop in UK.

Unless you know different. ? https://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/images/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

W

*-)

Answer to 1 and 2 - just don't cross via Calais.

Answer to 3 - these are targeted protests and unlikely to involve you - unless you choose to get involved.

If it is milk price protests you have in mind, UK farmers have the same dispute, which is milk being imported from elsewhere at below local production costs.

Are the English welcome? I doubt if the answer to that question has changed much since the end of the war! :-) Some of the French have the same attitude to the English, as some of the English have to the French.

Me? Over the past 50+ years I've met way more Francophobe English that I have ever met Anglophobe French! Compared to the Australians, the French are positively welcoming! :-D

Hi, if you are really worried about unwelcome passengersetc, just chose an alternatine crossing, dont use dover..

other crossing are more expensive, but do your sums..

for example..we live near poole and heading to south france via cherbourg around 350 pounds..

travel to dover, extra overnight, mileage and fuel, and extra mileage in france, then return same route would gave cost a total of around 300 and 2 extra days, so it is only a small diffrernce..and for us much less hassleto use either poole or portsmouth.

Flog your tesco vouchers to highest bidder, and relax on the crossing.

tonyg3nwl.

ps remember, french sites generally tend to close mid september, depending on you destination..

have a good holiday and relax..forget the calais problems., or flood the tunnel and let them all swim!

tonyg3nwl - 2015-08-08 4:59 PM...................ps remember, french sites generally tend to close mid september, depending on you destination.............................

I wouldn't agree with "generally" Tony, which seems to me to imply "most". Many do, but an awful lot remain open until the end of October, and quite a few are open all year. But, you do need to do your research.

lennyhb - 2015-08-08 5:14 PM

Some of the areas we have been to over the last few years most sites have closed at the end of August really depends where you are. As we don't use sites it doesn't worry us.

As you are a renowned lay by, sorry wild (lol) , camper how do you know. You must just go to the west coast as we have found no problem at all finding sites open to the end of October.

Been to France in September a number of times over the last few years and not had trouble finding sites open until the end of the month.

Probably go next month as I see no reason not to - but I don't use Dover / Calais anyway, so don't expect any problems ( i.e. delays )..

I've always found the French very friendly.

(But - - Maybe the OP's friends who told him to stay at home know something I don't ! )

;-)

rolling r - 2015-08-08 4:23 PM

hi every one. We like going to France but is it worth the risk to go in September..

Our G B plate make us all stand out although we have a Rapido it matters not.

Three facts give me concern. (1) Immigrates (Eurotunnel) (2) Ferry strike

(3) Farmers protest. And are English welcome now. Our friends say stop in UK.

Unless you know different. ? https://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/images/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

W

*-)

Just go and do not worry about it, I cannot even see the problem with using Dover Calais, we crossed two weeks ago with no problems at all, used P & O. We also stayed the night on the Calais marina aire, not an immigrant, illegal or otherwise in sight, good meal at local restaurant and a peaceful night. We are returning in September and will certainly go Dover/Calais route.

Tunnel used six times so far this year ( shared frequent traveller) and only seen two immigrants under a bridge about a mile from the tunnel.

They target HGVs at night, although a school bus which I know found two tied up under a wheel arch after driving off the ferry.

rupert123 - 2015-08-08 5:24 PM

Some of the areas we have been to over the last few years most sites have closed at the end of August really depends where you are. As we don't use sites it doesn't worry us.

As you are a renowned lay by, sorry wild (lol) , camper how do you know. You must just go to the west coast as we have found no problem at all finding sites open to the end of October.

As we live 200 yds from the beach we want mountains when we go on Holiday, about the only area of France I don't like is the west coast.

Car parks yes, lay by's never. :D Truth is we prefer Aires to sites.

Just a few points about France in September.

One hour more daylight at night to sit out for an evening meal.

Weather likely to be quite a few degrees above UK temperatures – the further South you go the better.

Most Aires will have so much space you'll never be cramped.

Pound to Euro is very much in your favour.

Fuel prices lower than the UK.

Also LPG (GPL) cheaper for heating when not on EHU.

Chance of seeing an Immigrant/Migrant is highly unlikely unless you're taking a lorry with you.

Farmers in France are a pain in the *rse but unless you're selling English apples, cheese or any other product from the UK they couldn't give a damn about you.

Don't be stick in the mud like your 'friends' appear to be but get over there and enjoy Motorhome life in a country that actually encourages people to use Motorhomes.

lennyhb - 2015-08-08 7:17 PM

As we live 200 yds from the beach we want mountains when we go on Holiday, about the only area of France I don't like is the west coast.

As you must know by now we spend most of our time in mountain areas. In these areas sites are open most of the year especially in ski regions so why the most close by the end of august bit.

rupert123 - 2015-08-08 10:04 PM

lennyhb - 2015-08-08 7:17 PM

As you must know by now we spend most of our time in mountain areas. In these areas sites are open most of the year especially in ski regions so why the most close by the end of august bit.

Massif Central in September nearly every site is closed, but some do reopen in late October for skiers not much help if you are there in September.

We're over there mid September onwards and as we're very much site enthusiasts have done some research regarding closing dates.

In the south it's approximately one in ten open, the majority close about mid September onwards but still enough choice for us justify the trip down there.

Martyn

Forget any idea of hassle from farmers. Just stay well clear of rugby playing areas if England outperform France in the RWC. You may well encounter some antipathy were that to be the case! Buy a Scotland sticker just in case????

Re sites: after buying our first motorhome, we crossed to France on September 5th for a month. We went to the west coast and travelled slowly northwards via the west coast islands, the Vendée, Brittany and Normandy, had no problems finding enough sites open, and the weather was blessedly kind.

I've been playing with the ACSI DVD. :-D Great tool!

On this basis, as I have interpreted the regions they refer to, I think both Martyn and Lenny are overstating the situation regarding sites closing.

I've taken Lenny's "Massif" to include all of Auvergne, all of Limousin, and Lozere. Total sites listed on the DVD: 169. Open from 1/9 to 31/10 2015: 36. Percentage open: 21%.

I've taken Martyn's "South" to include Aquitaine (minus Dordogne and Gironde), Cote d'Azur, Languedoc-Rousillon, Midi-Pyrenees, and Grand Sud (minus Corsica), plus Ardeche and Drome. Total listed on DVD 891. Open from 1/9 - 31/10 2015: 206. Percentage open 23%.

I suspect my interpretation of the areas they intend to be included within their definitions may not be those they meant, and will happily re-cast the figures if they can tighten their definitions. In the meantine, it seems quite fair to say that about 75% of sites would be closed during those dates, although the number open will rise if the closure date is brought forward to 15/10, and again if brought forward to 30/9. However, on the evidence of the ACSI DVD, there are plenty of sites open in these areas in the autumn. One just has to find them!

Guest Joe90

Only ever been met with courtesy and a friendly attitude from the French, one French bloke on our last trip seeing we were in trouble with a leaking jubilee clip, and no spare, and on a Sunday as sods law would have it, produced one of a correct size, and proceeded to take the old one off, and replace it, all without any communication other than gestures, and me constantly repeating "merci beaucoup" this is but one instance of many kindnesses shown to us by the French motorhomers over the years, and the French in general.

We're booked on the 3rd of Sept, going with P&O, and via Calais, are we worried about it in the slightest, no we certainly are not. ;-)

despite our last return ferry crossing being cancelled by Myferrylink going out of business. :D

As for sites that close at the end of September, or any other time come to that, it's very simple to establish that information without physically going to any or all of them.

A number of apps allow that functionality, as do any number of printed publications, and of course numerous websites on this very medium, try the ACSI site for starters to give you an idea of opening and closing dates ;-)

http://www.eurocampings.co.uk/

Archived