'Vans with on-board gas tanks

armstrongpiper

Thank you Brian, if I have misinterpreted the mood I sincerely apologise, I suppose I am wary of the modern trend towards seeking knowledge and information via the internet, and assuming that everything written is the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth, whereas in reality it can be nearer "nothing like the truth" and so often these " facts" are repeated like a mantra. I just wish that people would take the time to think things through and then make their best judgement of how to proceed.

It is said the Winston Churchill and Mannie Shinwell, although political opponents, were good friends, and at a time when the Labour government of the day was experiencing a bit of in-fighting, Winston encountered Mannie emerging from a committee room after a particularly bloody meeting, "How's it going Mannie?" asked Winnie, Mannie replied " cliche after cliche after cliche". I sometimes I think I know what he meant.

AGD

Then I think we are of a similar mindset on this, and I see nothing to apologise for. First, identify the risk, then consider its severity, then the probability of it happening, and only then decide how to handle it. Broadly, one then has three choices: avoid it, eliminate it, or neuter it. But, above all, think about it.

I'm with SAS, why do you want to turn it off?

. To be allowed to travel through the channel tunnel ?

I think the OP meant travelling in general as he made no reference to the tunnel although I did in a previous post. I am on the North East coast at the moment, my gas is on and I have no intention of turning it off. It's not because I can't be bothered or have a cavalier attitude as I've had 16 years getting out of vans and turning gas bottles on and off so am no novice. I believe the system has a non returnable/collision valve and cannot see any reference to switching it off or isolating it in the manual when travelling. I don't believe that one of the UKs biggest motorhome manufacturers would allow the installation of them on their product if they were not considered safe. B-)

Am I right in saying Truma say their heating systems can be used on the move, I think I am, in which case it would be impossible to do so with the gas valve turned off :-S

I am also led to believe that refillable bottles have an excess flow check valve in the event of a pigtail rupture, so it would seem all bases are covered. ;-)

Obviously where there is an explicit instruction to turn them off, why wouldn't anyone do so.?

Edit, some of comments echoing the above poster. :$

For many years now petrol powered vehicles have been fitted with inertial switches that cut of electrical power in the event of a significant impact. My guess and its no more than that is that a similar system is used with diesel vehicles now as the danger of fire from ruptured injection pipe or the common rail would be severe.

Ideally a similar device should be used with gas tanks. In the event of a ruptured line or tank the liquid instantly vaporises ( absorbing a lot of heat from its surroundings) but being heavier than air runs downhill and in confined spaces like a tunnel or ferry vehicle deck accumulates in invisible pools. It also mixes with air and if the proportion is right ( the limits are wide) it only takes a tiny spark to explode. My gas tank are off before I move . Do you still wonder why tunnel and ferry operators want the gas off at the tank?

I have seen the results of town gas explosions in buildings and understand that the effects of confining an explosion magnify the forces involved. A fireman told me that a gas explosion in a single glazed building often only takes the windows out but double glazed being stronger takes the roof off.

At one time the drivers of liquid gas tankers were advised that in the event of a small leak it could be temporarily sealed by placing a lump of wet rag over the hole. The refrigeration effect as the liquid turned to gas froze the lump solid and would re-freeze if it leaked again. Suit a brave man with a long stick and I expect that line was long deleted by Health and Safety rules.

I have been to the converters of my PVC (ih of Knottingley) to have a few warranty issues sorted. I had some exchanges of views about the gas installation, and found that the gas tank (gas-it, or Stako) has an emergency shut off valve built-in to the system, so that in the event of the outlet pipe being severed, the excess gas flow would cause the valve to close. This goes a ,long way to alleviating my worries about the gas system. I would still like easier access to the tank manual shut-off valve.

Neil B

Archived