Touring with a dog

candapack

Heading off this week for about 8 weeks travelling through France, Germany, Austria. Might get as far as Slovenia but plans flexible.

Taking a dog for the first time, what can we expect when it comes to eating out, visiting places etc?

I'm expecting much the same as here, ie no dogs indoors, but willing to be pleasantly surprised. :-D

It can vary enormously, in Cornwall restaurants would be empty if they didn't allow dogs in, at least during the day. In one cafe in Rock there were eight dogs.

Sitting outside is no problem, some will then say you can come in, that is with two big labs.

So just play it by ear, we found that anyone who came over and made a fuss of them was either Dutch, German or a Brit.

Travelled through France many times with my dog and found no problem with bars and restaurants, even though I'd usually ask first - basically a great place to travel with a dog. Germany was reasonably ok too but not as good as France. I can't speak for Austria or anywhere further afield though.

In France you can take your dog into most Bars, Cafes and Restaurants but it's polite to ask if it's okay before sitting down.

We have had no problems over the last seven weeks, while in France, taking him into restaurants, bars and cafes and usually there will be other dogs and their owners.

As long as your dog isn't likely to tear asunder small dogs, attack larger dogs and has emptied his/her bladder and bowels before going inside you should be okay.

At one restaurant the waiter brought him a bowl of water and a couple of biscuits (no charge) - couldn't imagine that ever happing in UK eating establishments.

Archived