Austria-Italy

David Dwight

Most direct would be via Innsbruck and the old Brenner road (B182). We used this in 2008, but got diverted (free) onto the Brenner autobahn because of a landslide above Steinach. We left the autobahn at the next exit, near Gries am Brenner, to regain the B182. Apart from the bit we missed around Steinach, the B182 Brenner road was fine. At Brenner it becomes the Italian SS12, which parallels the A22 autostrada to Bolzano.

I haven't checked the status of the B182 recently, but it was not subject to vignette/go box at that time.

I agree with Brian's route.

I travelled through Austria a few weeks ago without a go-box between Berchtesgaden and Garmisch Partenkirchen via Innsbruck on B roads. No problems at all. In Austria It was dreadfully slow as the smaller valley roads take all non motorway traffic eg bicycles, tractors etc and there seems to be a town or village every couple of miles or so.

To make life easy, if you have a sat nav, programme it for no tolls & you should be fine there are almost no expressways in the countryside.

OR use Via Michelin and programme "no tolls" Route as in this link: http://tinyurl.com/o3zzh2v

We used the old Brenner pass road (B182) in 2013 and found it to be OK (we over 3500kg). We encountered many motorvans using this route. However, be aware that you will pass a sign saying trucks over 3.5tons are prohibited. This doesn't apply to motorvans but only trucks. If, in Austria, you pass a sign with a red roundal with 3.5ton in the middle (without the truck symbol) then all traffic over 3.5tons is prohibited.

I've since heard that the A13 autobahn (Brenner road) is a special toll road and doesn't require a vignette or gobox as you can pay at normal toll booths. If you have pre-paid (via vignette/gobox), you just go through a special lane. When going south from Innsbruck, you need to follow the B182 and join the A13 at Innsbruck Sud in order to be on the special toll road. This route may be of interest to those motorvans with trailers who may be prohibited from using the old Brenner Pass road (B182) by virtue of towing a trailer.

Hope others may be able to confirm the use of the A13 without the need to purchase a vignette/gobox.

Robbo - 2015-08-14 9:54 PM

I've since heard that the A13 autobahn (Brenner road) is a special toll road and doesn't require a vignette or gobox as you can pay at normal toll booths. If you have pre-paid (via vignette/gobox), you just go through a special lane. When going south from Innsbruck, you need to follow the B182 and join the A13 at Innsbruck Sud in order to be on the special toll road. This route may be of interest to those motorvans with trailers who may be prohibited from using the old Brenner Pass road (B182) by virtue of towing a trailer.

Correction - I've been doing a bit of research since this post. You can use the A13 autobahn without a vignette providing you are 3500kg or less. You just pay the toll at the toll booth.

However, if you over 3500kg you need a Gobox and the toll fee is subtracted from the Gobox by use of the right hand toll lane.

So, being over 3500 kg I'll stick to the B roads and enjoy the countryside !!!

hi. the toll is 9 euros so know big deal. I travel from Germany v Innsbruck and then to Italy around 3 times a year. going the long way round will cost you a lot more in fuel and time then the Italy tolls ever will.just make sure you fill up with fuel in Austria before getting into Italy. michael

Archived