sat systems

capstan55

capstan55 - 2015-08-13 12:02 PM

Have any MHers had any experience of Avtex Snipe ariels? Looks a decent system on paper, but as we all know, that doesn`t always stack up.

It depends on where you intend using the TV. If abroad then the range on a small dished Snipe will not enable you to receive anything much below the very North of France. If us is just the UK then why not buy a directional aerial. as that is probably better as, unlike with a satellite system, you will be able to receive a signal in wooded areas.

We installed a Selfsat Snipe a couple of months ago and it is fine here in UK. Obviously haven't had chance to use it in Europe but when we lived in the Charente area of France (SW) we only had a small dish on the house and it worked perfectly. The reason for buying the Snipe was that we spoke to another motorhomer on site in Portugal and he had his working on one of the 9 satellites pre-programmed in so he was able to get many English speaking programmes and also use his Sky Digibox for others. There is also a facility for the user to programme 3 more satellites. Its a great bit of kit but it depends on how you are going to use it. If you are thinking of getting BBC and ITV etc in southern France/Spain or Portugal then none of the satellite dishes that are roof mounted will work. Hope this helps.

Had one for over a year receives UK channels as far south as 40km north of Orange in Provence, don't know where you got your info Mike about only usable in the north of France, we have found it almost as good as the 85cm Oyster on the last van.

lennyhb - 2015-08-13 2:57 PM

" don't know where you got your info Mike about only usable in the north of France, we have found it almost as good as the 85cm Oyster on the last van.

Got my information from this site here:

https://ukfree.tv/extras/satellite_footprints

Scroll down to Astra 2G UK and you will see the range for a 45cms dish (the Snipe is smaller) extends as far North as the very North of France as stated. Now I appreciate that Snipe claim their dish is the equivalent of a 60cms dish but over the years I have seen many such claims which haven't been borne out in practice. Usually size is everything. Perhaps Snipe have cracked it but I'm sceptical. I saw one trying to receive a signal in Millau and it failed miserably.

Mike88 - 2015-08-13 3:51 PM

lennyhb - 2015-08-13 2:57 PM

" don't know where you got your info Mike about only usable in the north of France, we have found it almost as good as the 85cm Oyster on the last van.

Got my information from this site here:

https://ukfree.tv/extras/satellite_footprints

Scroll down to Astra 2G UK and you will see the range for a 45cms dish (the Snipe is smaller) extends as far North as the very North of France as stated. Now I appreciate that Snipe claim their dish is the equivalent of a 60cms dish but over the years I have seen many such claims which haven't been borne out in practice. Usually size is everything. Perhaps Snipe have cracked it but I'm sceptical. I saw one trying to receive a signal in Millau and it failed miserably.

We had no problems last September near Millau we were 8km west of Millau at Peyre. If you were in the Aire at Millau if wouldn't supprise me as it's surounded by tall buildings any sat dish would have a problem, looked at that Aire didn't like it went and found a nice wild spot. (lol)

capstan55 - 2015-08-13 5:38 PM

Have been told by a sales person that the self sat at 675gbp is ubsuitable for roof mounting, any comments on this please?

There are a few Salesmen who say its not suitable for roof mounting as they want the business of supplying and fitting. We and another motorhome friend bought ours from Pulsat at York and they came with a roof mounting plate at no extra cost, the Avtex Snipe does not come with the plate and also say that if an Avtex approved installer does NOT do the installation then the unit does not have a warranty. That is why we went to Pulsat. The mounting plate is fixed by using Sikaflex and then when dry the unit is bolted to the plate, the only part of putting the wires through the roof by making a whole was avoided due to using the hole already there for the television aerial, so that solved that problem. The kit comprises of a substantial carrying case (now in the loft), mounting place, all wires and controller and bracket for this. The mounting plate was installed one day and then the unit the following day. We have had no problems at all with the unit. The one we have is the SELFSAT SNIPE not the Avtex Snipe and comes with a 12month warranty regardless of who installs it.

The original Snipe promotional video shows them roof mounted, they have only said they are not suitable for roof mounting since they brought out the new model at twice the price. The original model doesn't have the self parking feature with ignition on, if this worries you, the unit self parks if you turn the power off then back on so easy enough to rig up a timer relay.

As for warranty not being valid if you mount it yourself a load of boll**ks that has no legal bearing.

Archived