Starting out!

josolo23

Hi, we are looking to buy for the very first time. We have camped (tent and caravan) previously, but would like to take the first step on the motorhome owner ladder. We do not wish to spend a large amount at the moment, and are happy to take a chance on something older than 10 years. Having looked on several websites there seems to be a large variant in the selling price, but without obvious reason. For example, some motorhomes around the year 2000 to 2003 are priced privately for approx. £5000 and yet other similar ones of the same age are approx. £15,000. Understandably there will always be differences, but we don't understand why there is such a large difference. Can anyone advise please?

josolo23 - 2015-08-17 2:11 PM

Having looked on several websites there seems to be a large variant in the selling price, but without obvious reason. For example, some motorhomes around the year 2000 to 2003 are priced privately for approx. £5000 and yet other similar ones of the same age are approx. £15,000. Understandably there will always be differences, but we don't understand why there is such a large difference. Can anyone advise please?

If the vans are similar make / model / year I can only assume that some have a lot more options added and maybe much lower mileage.

;-)

Welcome to the forum Jo, to be perfectly honest I would be careful of buying a motorhome for around the £5,000 mark at the year you are looking at. £10-15k would be more realistic but do make sure it has no damp problems. If you are not sure, there are some mobile motorhome/service chaps who will take a good look at it for around the £150 mark.

Dave

Thanks, I guess there's lots to take into consideration. :-D

Does anyone have any experience of purchasing a vehicle via eBay? Feel very nervous about using it, but understand it's becoming more popular for trade as well as private.

Depends on so many variables from what base vehicle is used with which engine, to who converted it. Is it what is commonly known as a home build or a well known manufacturer. Condition is a big factor for all ages of vehicle. Then there's mileage, extra's not that extra's are that important as one man's must have is another womans dead weight, if you see what I mean. Some pre '95 Hymers are worth more than some that are 6 or 7 years newer. A classic example is USA RV's. The Rexhall Airbus Ford Triton, a great motorhome, it has everything all you could want as long as you don't go to far in it at some 8 miles to the gallon. I know I had one. Only you can decide really but it is all a compromise. You will never get the perfect van. The airbus came close for me but the fuel bill!!! but it was great fun. The older Hymers are a good start but then it might not suit you. Ebay, motorhome Trader, Cars and Classics are a good source if buying privately, don't bid on anything on Ebay, always go and look in person first, Usually there is a contact number or send a message via ebay, but take someone with you who knows the motorhome trade. Buying from some dealers might be a safer bet but not always and are usually more expensive. Although George Cole died last week there are still a lot of Aurthur Daily,s out there. Good luck B-)

keninpalamos - 2015-08-17 3:49 PM

Depends on so many variables from what base vehicle is used with which engine, to who converted it. Is it what is commonly known as a home build or a well known manufacturer. Condition is a big factor for all ages of vehicle. Then there's mileage, extra's not that extra's are that important as one man's must have is another womans dead weight, if you see what I mean. Some pre '95 Hymers are worth more than some that are 6 or 7 years newer. A classic example is USA RV's. The Rexhall Airbus Ford Triton, a great motorhome, it has everything all you could want as long as you don't go to far in it at some 8 miles to the gallon. I know I had one. Only you can decide really but it is all a compromise. You will never get the perfect van. The airbus came close for me but the fuel bill!!! but it was great fun. The older Hymers are a good start but then it might not suit you. Ebay, motorhome Trader, Cars and Classics are a good source if buying privately, don't bid on anything on Ebay, always go and look in person first, Usually there is a contact number or send a message via ebay, but take someone with you who knows the motorhome trade. Buying from some dealers might be a safer bet but not always and are usually more expensive. Although George Cole died last week there are still a lot of Aurthur Daily,s out there. Good luck B-)

Thanks... trying to get as much advice as possible before arranging viewings so all your help is much appreciated :-D

Watch out from scam adverts online (including e-bay) and in printed media offering motorhomes at low prices. These are relatively common and often lift information e.g. photos and spec off genuine advertisers resulting in a professional looking and attractive offer at a price that is literally too good to be true.

HymerVan - 2015-08-17 4:09 PM

Watch out from scam adverts online (including e-bay) and in printed media offering motorhomes at low prices. These are relatively common and often lift information e.g. photos and spec off genuine advertisers resulting in a professional looking and attractive offer at a price that is literally too good to be true.

Think we have already had a close encounter of this kind, and we've only been looking for a few days They emailed to say unavailable to show the van but willing to deliver van to us free of charge if money could be transferred and held by Google Wallet whilst we took delivery of van and decided if we wanted to keep it!! Just wanted us to send our personal details to get things started!!! Of course we didn't... but can see how someone could get conned by it.

josolo23 - 2015-08-17 3:38 PM

Does anyone have any experience of purchasing a vehicle via eBay? Feel very nervous about using it, but understand it's becoming more popular for trade as well as private.

Jo, I've just bought my fourth vehicle off eBay. You do need to go and look at them, I would not buy anything off ebay, gumtree, preloved or any of those kind of sites without checking them out first, there are to many shyster's out there waiting to relieve you of your cash.

Dave

nowtelse2do - 2015-08-17 4:26 PM

josolo23 - 2015-08-17 3:38 PM

Jo, I've just bought my fourth vehicle off eBay. You do need to go and look at them, I would not buy anything off ebay, gumtree, preloved or any of those kind of sites without checking them out first, there are to many shyster's out there waiting to relieve you of your cash.

Dave

Glad to hear you've used eBay successfully and are happy with this method. We will certainly explore this route and, as you say, we definitely wont buy without seeing first

Guest pelmetman

Welcome to the forum .......contrary to some on here, I reckon you can by a camper for 5k that will take you all the way to Spain and... back ;-).......

If you see anything on flebay then post a link on here then us old lags, can give you the heads up on whether its worth a visit or not :D .........

But in general its not location location location with campers......its condition condition condition :-> .......

Are you useful with your hands, as you can even make money buying a do er upper B-) ......

Good luck

Pelmetman is right, Spain and back in something costing 5k ;-)

A terrible drive down in the old nail,

but much more pleasant on the way back in the recovery truck. >:-)

Guest pelmetman
Joe90 - 2015-08-17 7:12 PM

Pelmetman is right, Spain and back in something costing 5k ;-)

A terrible drive down in the old nail,

but much more pleasant on the way back in the recovery truck. >:-)

Think of the fuel you'll save ;-) ...........

Although in 25 years Horace has never felt the need to mount a recovery truck B-) ..........

Unlike my Fanny who has seen more flat beds than a lady of ill repute 8-) ..........

You've had the thing for 24 years,

a slightly different proposition than advising someone to buy something 25 years old don't you think ?

When I say " don't you think" I don't mean that literally, I assume you do. >:-)

Guest pelmetman
Joe90 - 2015-08-17 7:38 PM

You've had the thing for 24 years,

a slightly different proposition than advising someone to buy something 25 years old don't you think ?

When I say " don't you think" I don't mean that literally, I assume you do. >:-)

23.5 years to be exact ;-) ..............and no I don't see a problem with buying a 25 year old van.....IF......

its got full service history showing its been meticulously maintained B-) ........

Which is why I suggested the OP link any vans they like to this thread, as there's enough collective knowledge on here to sort through the wheat & chaff :D ............

The only reason you've got a 25 year old van is because it was left to you, and in the intervening years couldn't afford anything better or newer, which is actually OK,

However to constantly bang on about old bangers ( pardon the pun ) being a good way to go is disingenuous, and it is patently stupid advice for the average bod, but of course you wouldn't be saddled with the problems your constant recommendations of old nails brings to the poor sods like someone I know who bought a bargain banger that was ultimately scrap despite a whole lot of paperwork going back donkeys years, still it was their 8 grand that went down the pan, not yours, who knows, it may just have been one of the many you have provided links to, and one would presume you had thoroughly examined first hand before doing so

Guest pelmetman
Joe90 - 2015-08-17 10:39 PM

So presumably you'd advocate someone getting their first car to look at ones 25 years old ?

The only reason you've got a 25 year old van is because it was left to you, and in the intervening years couldn't afford anything better or newer, which is actually OK,

Yeah I was so poor I could only afford to spend 40k on building a garage for it :D ............

Considering the litany of problems you've had with your much newer campers over the years ;-) ........

I reckon staying with old Horace has been a wise move B-) .............

pelmetman - 2015-08-18 9:57 AM

So presumably you'd advocate someone getting their first car to look at ones 25 years old ?

Yeah I was so poor I could only afford to spend 40k on building a garage for it :D ............

40 K !!!!!!!

That's not a garage for a motorhome.

That's a bus station.

;-)

Guest pelmetman
malc d - 2015-08-18 10:28 AM

40 K !!!!!!!

That's a bus station.

;-)

Well it did include a guest wing ;-) ...........added 80k to the value of the house and mean't I was able to sell up and semi retire at 46 B-) .........

DSCN0076web.jpg.d8569ac9c29d7b0f2cb4cd9e03681260.jpg

What's that saying, you can fool some of............................. still you've got a stunning piece of architecture there, added value to your place you say, but devalued everyone else's.

Where do you keep your trailer full of spares and scrap, when you're not towing it around in case of breakdowns.... in the garden? >:-)

pelmetman - 2015-08-18 12:52 PM

malc d - 2015-08-18 10:28 AM

40 K !!!!!!!

That's a bus station.

;-)

Well it did include a guest wing ;-) ...........added 80k to the value of the house and mean't I was able to sell up and semi retire at 46 B-) .........

Thanks guys :-D :-D Nice to see a healthy debate on the pros and cons of buying cheap.;-) Bottom line is, I guess it's a risk either way you look at it. Ultimately our budget is what restricts us. But I have taken on board all your advice and suggestions and will definitely come back to ask for more of your opinions when we have a shortlist. Again, thanks for the interest.

:-D :-D : ;

Considering the litany of problems you've had with your much newer campers over the years ;-) ........

Well if spending 40K to keep something inside worth 5K was a wise move that's a new one on me, ;-)

When we sold our van via eBay last year, the buyer asked me the same question, i.e. why such a gap?

One of the reasons I identified was left hand drive. Now I'm not having a pop at those who buy them for whatever reason, but it was certainly accurate when I looked on his behalf.

I pointed this out to our buyer who had not the slightest clue the LHD factor was such an issue.

Martyn

Guest pelmetman
Joe90 - 2015-08-18 4:12 PM

Well if spending 40K to keep something inside worth 5K was a wise move that's a new one on me, ;-)

Spending 40k on the garage earned me another 40k,,,,,,,,,,If I'd spent 40k on a new camper it would have lost 5k by the time I'd got it home :D .........

Archived