Servicing in Telford area

Mike and Shirl

12 - 18months ago there was an article in MMM about a motorhomer who had opened a workshop in Telford which would provide sevicing facilities both habitation and base vehicle( I think). We have since moved to the Telford area and would like to make use of the facilities. Can anyone help with details etc Mike and Shirl :-S

Hi Mike and Shirl, you might be getting confused over the services on offer. I opened for business in the Telford area last year and Mike Jago did a feature on the cruise control I fitted to his 'van that was published last November. My business name is "Dave Newell Leisure Vehicle Services" although, at the moment, I don't do servicing of either base or habitation components. I haven't heard of any other motorhome servicing businesses started up around here recently. D.

[QUOTE]Dave Newell - 2006-11-01 7:08 AM Considering it Clive but I don't really want to get into the oily bits again and gas certification is the only stumbling block for hab servicing. I can do all the rest though. D.[/QUOTE] Dave, I think habitation checks would be a way forward for you, I can understand you not wanting to mess with the oily bits at your age 8-) 8-) Is there any law saying you have to be Corgi registered to do habitation checks. I know a couple of people who do the checks with no paper qualification only years of experience behind them. Mike Donkin who does Roy P habitation checks is not Corgi registered, he's going to service my fridge as and when I get my act together. With the amount of motorhomes on the road and being sold weekly I think it would be a sound move for you. :-D Don

I agree with Don. I am sure that a habitation service in your area would be very popular Dave. Mike Donkin is a very down to earth sort of a chap and set up on his own a few years ago in a similar fashion to yourself. Why not give him a ring (01262 470643) for a chat about the gas side of things. As Don says, he is not Corgi registered but is nevertheless very capable. Roy.

I thought you already were Don. Can you give me the link to that hab service check list you posted recently? For my own peace of mind and to ensure that I would be doing the job properly I would be happier with some sort of gas acreditation, not necessarily CORGI as there are other accreditation services available, but I woould prefer to be certified (don't say it Clive, I know what you're thinking). I am looking into it. D.

Well i've spent a large part of today looking into this gas registration issue and I'm now more confused than ever! According to CORGI and Evesham college CORGI registration is definitely required and anybody working on caravan/motorhome LPG systems commercially (not for their own vehicle) is breaking the law. How do I get registered with CORGI? Well I have to spend six months working under a CORGI registered fitter and complete a set number of jobs of all types that I will carry out and record them in a log book. Then, and only then, I can apply for CORGI registration at which point I have to spend a further period in training with a local training provider. They don't have a list of local training providers though so I've got to find them for myself! I'm all for proper reistration and control but is it really necessary to jump through so many hoops? Conversely the Caravan Industry Training Organisation says this on their website; "Where CORGI registration is not required i.e. work is only on tourers and motorhomes which are NOT hired out in the course of business," which clearly suggests that registration is not required but training is a good idea. I'm going to look into the CITO training next. Does anybody have anything to add? D.

[QUOTE]Dave Newell - 2006-11-01 5:04 PM Well i've spent a large part of today looking into this gas registration issue and I'm now more confused than ever! According to CORGI and Evesham college CORGI registration is definitely required and anybody working on caravan/motorhome LPG systems commercially (not for their own vehicle) is breaking the law. How do I get registered with CORGI? Well I have to spend six months working under a CORGI registered fitter and complete a set number of jobs of all types that I will carry out and record them in a log book. Then, and only then, I can apply for CORGI registration at which point I have to spend a further period in training with a local training provider. They don't have a list of local training providers though so I've got to find them for myself! I'm all for proper reistration and control but is it really necessary to jump through so many hoops? Conversely the Caravan Industry Training Organisation says this on their website; "Where CORGI registration is not required i.e. work is only on tourers and motorhomes which are NOT hired out in the course of business," which clearly suggests that registration is not required but training is a good idea. I'm going to look into the CITO training next. Does anybody have anything to add? D. [/QUOTE] Dave, It seemed such a good idea at the time :-D What about getting the catering manager qualified and then she can supervise 8-) 8-) Don

Good news guys and gals, I've just ogt off the phone with CITO and CORGI registration is not required for caravans and motorhomes unless the vehicle is being hired out. I can take a five day training course that gives me an ACOPS certificate of competence for LPG installations in caravans and motorhomes. Who knows, within a couple of months I could be adding hab servicing to my portfolio. (lol) D.

My sister took her Autosleeper to a well known Service centre in Worcestershire for an annual habitation service. After a wait of 3 hours, they completed the service and reported the Fridge would not work on gas, no mention was made of 240 volt and 12 volt operation. They where advised to make another booking to return to repair the fridge, my sister said - it was working okay before it went into your workshop, why didn't you phone me for authority to repair it. No answer to that one, what's the point of a habitation service if they don't repair items that are not working? I suppose we must look at the Habitation service as we do for the MOT, they check for operation and leaks of water and gas etc, but will not repair it unless you have prebooked for a known fault, which means you might have done the habitation check yourself anyway to discover any faults. So why pay for something you can do yourself? When the MH was returned home, my sister who was not with the MH at the time of the Habitation fiasco, jumped into the MH turned on the gas manifold for the fridge and the flame ignited!!!!!!!!!!! She always turns off the gas manifolds when an appliance is not going to be used for some time - it's in the Autosleeper manual, it must be in the Official Autosleeper Habitation Service Manual, you qualified service technicians should have known to check - shouldn't you? Why so basic a misdiagnosis was allowed to happen I just can't imagine, most of us are being conned by these so called service centres I am beginning to believe, and remember this service was carried out by so called experienced and certified service technicians. This is not the only incident that has happened, I had a caravan habitation service carried out in Swindon about 6 years ago, they took the gas convector fire apart okay, but neglected to refit the exhaust flange on the heat exchanger, had we used the fire at night while asleep, we would have been killed by the fumes. The fault was picked up by a Barry Heather of Swindon, during the next annual habitation service, so there are some good ones - but be very careful!!!! Personally - I do all my own habitation service and repairs now, I understand not everyone can do their own for one reason or another, but please make yourself aware of what should be done during the habitation Service, and your rights regarding faults and remedial action to which you are entitled under the habitation service scheme you are paying for, it might be worth swapping between service centres in alternate years, making sure the next centre knows the previous service centre who carried out last years work, it might make them look for a way to slag off their competitor!!!!! and try to outdo them, which will benefit you. If there is a difference between a Habitation Check and a Habitation Service, know it and know your rights before handing the MH over to them. Regards Terry

[QUOTE]Dave Newell - 2006-11-02 9:39 AM Good news guys and gals, I've just ogt off the phone with CITO and CORGI registration is not required for caravans and motorhomes unless the vehicle is being hired out. I can take a five day training course that gives me an ACOPS certificate of competence for LPG installations in caravans and motorhomes. Who knows, within a couple of months I could be adding hab servicing to my portfolio. (lol) D.[/QUOTE] Dave, Good news mate Book my habitation check for next years Lincoln show and don't fprget my 5% discount. 8-) 8-) Don

[QUOTE]Don Madge - 2006-11-02 3:38 PM [QUOTE]Dave Newell - 2006-11-02 9:39 AM Good news guys and gals, I've just ogt off the phone with CITO and CORGI registration is not required for caravans and motorhomes unless the vehicle is being hired out. I can take a five day training course that gives me an ACOPS certificate of competence for LPG installations in caravans and motorhomes. Who knows, within a couple of months I could be adding hab servicing to my portfolio. (lol) D.[/QUOTE] Dave, Good news mate Book my habitation check for next years Lincoln show and don't fprget my 5% discount. 8-) 8-) Don[/QUOTE] Consider it done mate. D.

I'd just like to say thanks to everyone who has offered their support in this and I shall be definitely adding habitation servicing to my repertoire just as soon as I get the gas qualification. I could do the checks now but I don't see the point in just checking everything works, I beleive the gas appliances heater, water heater and fridge for example, should at least have their burners cleaned where possible during an annual service. I'll let you all know just as soon as its sorted. Cheers for now, I'm off to Bridgwater in a couple of hours to see the carnival, D.

Don't forget my 10% Dave! We are off to Shepton Mallet next week to see their carnival procession. Last year it was mind boggling. Good luck with the quest Clive P.S. I just serviced our fridge, do you want the photo,s of the procedure Dave??

• 2 weeks later...

Archived