Servicing in Telford area

Mike and Shirl

[QUOTE]Dave Newell - 2006-11-14 3:48 PM For anyone who may be interested I've managed to secure a cancellation on the gas competence course run by CITO and will now be taking the course at the end of this month. Hopefully then I can start offering habitation servicing from the start of December. :-D D.[/QUOTE] Dave, That's good news, is that site close to your workshop open all year. Don

• 4 weeks later...
Just to let you all know I have now completed, and passed, the CITO gas competence course and will be adding habitation inspections to my repertoire starting from 2nd January. Just out of interest what do we all think is done during a hab check and what do you pay? I have the NCC caravan/motorhome service engineers handbook so I know what they say but I thought it might be interesting to see what the customers expect to be covered. D.

Dave, I have the list recommended by the SMMT and NCC. Will email it to you. It may be similar to what you already have. It looks almost ludicrously extensive to me. It runs to 5 pages of A4 in very close-packes 10pt Times Roman. Let me know what you think. I started reading it and gave up - it would take me at least a couple of days to it all. Mel

Well done Dave! I paid £105.75 at Don Amott in October (£90.00 + VAT). I suppose the main things I would expect to be checked are gas system, waste & fresh water system, battery condition & levels, electrics both 12v & 230v, conversion catches, locks & hinges, water ingress, damp, fridge operation. If under warranty, replace things that are broken or don't work. That's all I can think of at the moment (I'm at work). I suppose an "After Eight" on each pillow would be nice. Regards, John.

[QUOTE]Mel E - 2006-12-08 11:34 AM Dave, I have the list recommended by the SMMT and NCC. Will email it to you. It may be similar to what you already have. It looks almost ludicrously extensive to me. It runs to 5 pages of A4 in very close-packes 10pt Times Roman. Let me know what you think. I started reading it and gave up - it would take me at least a couple of days to it all. Mel[/QUOTE] Thanks Mel, if you think that's bad you want to see the caravan/motorhome service engineers handbook. That runs to over 80 sides of A4, albeit that does cover caravans as well but it still makes a lousy bedtime read. D.

[QUOTE]Dave Newell - 2006-12-09 8:18 AM Thanks to everyone for their suppport and help. when I've worked my way through the books I'll try to give a condensed version of what is covered. Cheers, D.[/QUOTE] Hi Dave, Glad to hear you are up and soon to be running on the hab checks Just been looking at your site and in particular the habitation check list. For the price you are charging (£90) that seems a bargain after what I've paid (£176) in the past. How long do anticipate the check would take on a van like mine? Will you be able to do habitation checks at the shows? Good luck Don

Hi Don, I'm working on around three hours to cover everythin properly which is how I came to £90 (3 hours @£30 PH). The only real problem with doing hab inspections at shows is getting underneath to check the body to chassis fixings and suspension systems, ALKO chassis are supposed to have the rear axle greased as well. D.

Archived