Sat nav maps

Graham6905

just had long talk with Snooper re wrong info in maps causing real navigation errors ie no warning for low bridge, wrong turnings off roundabouts and being directed wrong way down one way streets. Long story short is that it is the mapping info that is provided by Navteq ( also providers for Garmin and Navigon) that is wrong. Only way to resolve is to inform the units help line, in my case this was not simple as he would have liked photographic evidence or you can try http://mapcreator.here.com . You have to register, however, it is quite simple, I managed.

I was informed by Snooper assistance that Navteq do not get updates from planning changes and rely simply on people driving around!!

I know as drivers we must not totally rely on the sat nav but it is annoying when concentrating on traffic and other driving issues to be confronted with misleading guidance information.

Bottom line is if you know of an error in you sat nav mapping info do the mapping company's job for them and report the error then we might get routes we can trust.

Personally I have never come across a low bridge or a one way street anywhere without there being a warning road sign before you get to the point of no return.

I have been using the same TomtTom without the luxury of 'unsuitable' roads or bridges warnings or unpdated maps for many years and have never got stuck, although it must be said that some roads can be quite tight at times unless you do the careful thing and ignore the instruction to turn and let it re-route itself around whatever you feel might be a bit iffy.

Works just fine for me - but I see no point in paying extra for a dubious service that you cannot rely upon!

Hi, I have vantura6000 device..

A couple of weeks ago, I found out that I could download software update for it..did this ok and had initial favourable impression..

however, when trying to set up a multy route using coordinates, it is still a diabolical roundabout route, having first to create previously used destinations, then move them to favourites, and rename to something sensible instead of "unnamed street". Then you can try creating a multy route..

I have asked several times if they could modify the search to include coordinates..their reply has been unhelpful, so I am still fighting the device.

I seriously wish I had not bought it, and much prefer a Garmin or Mio device..

I also dont like the mapping on it. Place names dont seem to give priority to bigger town, bigger letters.

We all have to remember of course that mapping data is never going to keep up with real time changes..

I have also had problems updating the user poi data from their website..it crashed my machine repeatedly trying to use the poidownloader.. eventually had to use a different (Older laptop)to get it to work.

If I had known when I bought it what I now know, I would not have indulged

Tonyg3nwl.

All satnavs should come with warnings.................don't look at the screen, look at the road, and keep your brain engaged ;-)

I have a satnav that allows me to load either TomTom, or Igo8, they both get it wrong on occasions, so much so that I more and more rely on convention maps, sign posts, and the view from my windscreen, using the device only when I'm pretty sure I'm very near my destination...............my blood pressure has reduced considerably as a consequence.

Tracker - 2015-08-21 5:24 PM

Personally I have never come across a low bridge or a one way street anywhere without there being a warning road sign before you get to the point of no return.

I have been using the same TomtTom without the luxury of 'unsuitable' roads or bridges warnings or unpdated maps for many years and have never got stuck, although it must be said that some roads can be quite tight at times unless you do the careful thing and ignore the instruction to turn and let it re-route itself around whatever you feel might be a bit iffy.

Works just fine for me - but I see no point in paying extra for a dubious service that you cannot rely upon!

I'm still using a combination of an old TomTom old maps and number one wife only problem I have is that batteries in said TomTom gave up,years ago so only works when pluged in. I plug it into a USB socket in the van to set next destination. How are your batteries?

Colin Leake - 2015-08-21 7:21 PM

I'm still using a combination of an old TomTom old maps and number one wife only problem I have is that batteries in said TomTom gave up,years ago so only works when pluged in. I plug it into a USB socket in the van to set next destination. How are your batteries?

How are my batteries indeed - that's a very personal question to ask any gentleman Colin!

The TomTom batteries gave up years ago so I too rely on the usb connections on my PC, and the 12v sockets in the van cab and in the hab area as well as via an adapter and usb lead and it works just fine .

Number one wife's navigation and map reading skils are, shall we say, work in progress, so I rely totally on my mate TomTom and intuition - neither of which is totally infallible - but we do get to see some unusual places that very few other tourists get to see!

Archived