Coffee grounds in waste tank?

manxli

Hi

Nothing we like more than a really strong black coffee in the morning. However when cleaning the perculator, I try to filter out the grinds with paper towel in the sink to avoid them forming a sediment in the waste tank. In spite of this, a little always gets down the plug hole.

Any thoughts or better solutions?

Alan

Yes know that problem. Its the only thing that causes air blocks in the down pipe to the tank.

I put 2 Lidl dishwasher tab in the tank and let them slosh about for the trip home with a small fill in the tank.

Then on arrival at home I drain the tank straight away.

My tank does not have a inspection tank hole so whatever get in there will probably stay. So I am careful what we flush away. We use a bowl to wash up and tip away when we can. When we can't they go down the camper toilet.

My PVC is now 3 years old and we have never had a smell from the tank or shower drain. But it is still easy to block the down pipe if you are not careful. I have a short length of 1" Wast pipe that I use to blow the blockage through.

When on EHU we use our Nespresso machine as it is easy to empty the coffee pod. When on the road or free camping we use a plunger. When it is time to empty we fill the plunger with water swirl it around then pour it around the first tree we see. Then add more H2O, swirl and dump under the tree. Coffee grinds I am told are a very good fertiliser. If that does not suit I like Richard's filter paper idea.

Coffee grounds can be an excellent addition to a compost pile. The grounds are relatively rich in nitrogen, providing bacteria the energy they need to turn organic matter into compost. About 2 percent nitrogen by volume, used coffee grounds can be a safe substitute for nitrogen-rich manure in the compost pile.

My only gripe would be if everyone did it on a Aire it would become a bit of a mess?

Better to dump it down a drain maybe?

keninpalamos - 2015-08-24 8:36 AM

There's an easy answer to this. We have tea bags, why not coffee bags :-D

They used to be available but not sure if they are still available.

Dave

EDIT to say just Googled "coffee bags" and plenty still out there

Dave C - 2015-08-24 9:30 AM

keninpalamos - 2015-08-24 8:36 AM

There's an easy answer to this. We have tea bags, why not coffee bags :-D

They used to be available but not sure if they are still available.

Dave

EDIT to say just Googled "coffee bags" and plenty still out there

The making of Coffee to the real coffee drinker is an art and they would no more try Nescafe or Pods as ask a Tea drinker to use condensed milk. (40"s child and remembers licking out the empty tin which may explain why my teeth have so many fillings)

Once you appreciated the difference there is no going back. Hence the question re grounds and tanks.

I drink percolated Viennese coffee with Figs and my better half prefers machine made Nespresso pods.

Curtisden - 2015-08-24 9:17 AM

Coffee grounds can be an excellent addition to a compost pile. The grounds are relatively rich in nitrogen, providing bacteria the energy they need to turn organic matter into compost. About 2 percent nitrogen by volume, used coffee grounds can be a safe substitute for nitrogen-rich manure in the compost pile.

As to above, there is a McDo's on the way to Blackpool that saves their coffee grounds in 20lt containers which are stored outside and folks can take them for free, they just ask for a donation to a local charity.

Hi

Yep, can't go away from the perculator now. We need real coffee!! You know, the stuff that strips tooth enamel.

The idea with the filter cone sounds good, or I could try paper in a sieve. I get most of the grinds into the general waste but will try the tank wash out ideas too.

I'm a Brit living in Switzerland but hate drinking tea!!! All Swiss who meet me for the first time go out of their way to offer me a 'nice cup of tea', as they are convinced ALL Brits are tea drinkers. I hate to shatter their expectations.

Anyone else encounter stereotypical expectations on their travels?

Alan

We have an all singing and dancing coffee machine we use at home that makes coffee from beans and very good it is too. When we are away we use a Nespresso machine with pods. Once you have discovered which of the huge variety of available pods suits you best the results very good. In my humble opinion just as good as the machine at home makes. There is a bit of an art to it though. Heat the cups up with boiling water first and use only full cream milk in the frothier thing with the setting on hot.

Whilst on the subject I often wonder who came up the unlikely sounding idea of adding chocolate or cinemon to top,of,the frothy stuff, or who for that matter came up with the idea of adding the frothy stuff in the first place?

Colin Leake - 2015-08-24 2:40 PM

Whilst on the subject I often wonder who came up the unlikely sounding idea of adding chocolate or cinemon to top,of,the frothy stuff, or who for that matter came up with the idea of adding the frothy stuff in the first place?

The Italians!

You could use a traditional Italian stove top espresso pot, which is what I do. That way when the coffee is brewed the coffee remains in the little coffee container, then that can simply be tipped into the rubbish, or into a kitchen towel first if you prefer.

102601865_CoffeeMaker.jpg.9796469ba11277b3d382790ad9a6fc79.jpg

We use a small plastic filter that fits on top of any jug - mug - container of any kind and uses the smaller size filter paper, and it uses water from the kettle. It has all the advantages of being cheap, light and more or less unbreakable, and can be stowed in any odd spot. After use remove the filter paper with grounds and dump it in the bin.

I actually prefer coffee made in a filter rather than the cafetier or any of the fancy coffee machines that we have bought, it has been in the various vans for the past 20 years and appears to be still going strong, I commend it to this forum.

AGD

Hi

We have exactly the perculator shown in the pic and although most of the grinds go directly into the waste bin, washing the filter still allows a small amount of grinds into the waste tank. It is the long term build up that worries me.

However, The idea of washing down into the toilet cassette appeals and may even help with the composting of the other contents maybe?

What ever the process, there is no way anyone should dare speak to me before I've had a good strong coffee in the morning.

Alan

I also enjoy decent cup of coffee too.

I was fed up with the task of cleaning out a cafetiere and finding somewhere to tip it.

I recently purchased one of these V60 coffee drippers.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hario-VDC-01W-1-Piece-Ceramic-Dripper/dp/B000P4D5F8

Its great as when finished you just pick up the filter and place in the bin and rinse the V60.

Added bonus you can drink all the coffee as there are no grounds that snuck through the cafetiere.

Hope this helps

Archived