Why do some take the kitchen sink away with them?

Curtisden

I live close by to a popular caravan site and we see all sorts of rigs and campers coming and going.

But yesterday took the prize.

Up turned a 6m PVC with two huge rooftop boxes, satellite dome, Canoe on the roof,two bikes on the back and a trailer? Oh yes they were German.

We tend to travel light taking the bare minimum when we tour and rarely seem to want something we have missed out? Surly going away is all about a change. A peaceful break and we find self sufficiency, living with what you have brought quite fun.

She who must be obeyed is a minimalist and as such she keeps a list of what to pack and after a trip if its not been used it gets chucked out. No Boxes on the Roof, No Bikes on the back, No satellite or trailer. All in a 6m PVC.

But when we had a caravan I was also amazed at some of the stuff in awnings?

Once stayed in Central Paris on a camp site and it was full of Irish. All driving the latest BMT 4x4. Huge twin wheeled caravans and awnings. Each awning had a small washing machine, dryer and dishwasher. Twin satellite dishes and when asked in jest what were they here for, a tarmac conference. Was told the Racing!

We usually travel light, but last week had 4 females on board, packed to the gunnels, and with one being 4 and another being 15 it was no peaceful break, still I'm sure the longer ago it becomes the nicer it will have seemed. *-)

I think there is a Parkinson's Law of motorhoming, so that the amount of stuff you feel you need to take expands to fill the space available - overriding the capacity of the MH to carry all the weight.

This year I found a large beach umbrella in the under-floor locker which we'd bought last year, tried once, abandoned as useless yet it somehow survived all winter in there. We have a clear out of the tinned food locker every couple of years and find all sorts of time-expired tins. I have two of several things of which one would do.

But I have at least also found some new ways of doing things which involve less or smaller stuff - like a proper blue food-grade tank filler hose on a reel (which works) to replace the full size reel of garden hose I used to carry. And too many clothes of course, despite hard evidence of several years experience that I only ever use three shirts, three pairs of underpants, three hankies, two pairs of shorts, one pair of scruffy shoes and no socks at all - including this year a full funeral-type outfit of suit, shirt & tie and shiny shoes, carried just in case. There was a special reason for squeezing this outfit in.

The question was Why! Not a criticism of a alternative point of view.

IE do you use all the kit you carry. Does loss of MPG due to the appendages and weight matter and do you ever weigh the rig to see what effect it has on the Gross?

Each to there own but we have found we have not missed at all the "just in case" equipment and stuff we use to carry and have benefited in a quite large improvement in MPG.

But being keen walkers we are use to a 45t rucksack each being our world.

It almost goes without saying, each to their own, but my very first post on here many years ago was about this very subject.

I couldn't care a monkeys if folk travel light, medium or full.

My maiden post witnessed something similar to the op, canoes, pup tents, bikes, cooking stuff, loungers, satellite etc.

But it was when the demijohns came out, well........ 8-) 8-)

Martyn

I broaden my knowledge by seeking to understand what others do and adopting better, or sometimes just different, practices.

Like you Curtisden, when we caravanned we took the kitchen sink with us just in case. Like other caravanners we saw and spoke with, we saw to our van as an extension of our home, although we never erected a fence or what is known on site as a windbreak. We wanted to explore new locations but did not want to forego homely comforts.

We gave up caravanning when we realised it was taking too long to set up the homely comforts for the benefits brought. Also, our lifestyle was changing from having two young boys to having teenagers who went away with the Cubs/Scouts or Cadet Corp if they wanted to rough it. They wanted comfort and mobility to tour the continent so we dived into motorhoming. By talking with motorhomers, we realised less can sometimes mean more.

Now there are two of us again, we have the freedom to do what we want and so increasingly, and worryingly, started taking things with us so we could. We were eying bigger vans with a 4.25 ton payload so we could carry even more. Thankfully, financial common sense has intervened and we are back to taking what we need to take to enjoy our breaks which have to be sufficiently different from the way we live at home.

Brock - 2015-08-25 3:02 PM

I broaden my knowledge by seeking to understand what others do and adopting better, or sometimes just different, practices.

Like you Curtisden, when we caravanned we took the kitchen sink with us just in case. Like other caravanners we saw and spoke with, we saw to our van as an extension of our home, although we never erected a fence or what is known on site as a windbreak. We wanted to explore new locations but did not want to forego homely comforts.

We gave up caravanning when we realised it was taking too long to set up the homely comforts for the benefits brought. Also, our lifestyle was changing from having two young boys to having teenagers who went away with the Cubs/Scouts or Cadet Corp if they wanted to rough it. They wanted comfort and mobility to tour the continent so we dived into motorhoming. By talking with motorhomers, we realised less can sometimes mean more.

Now there are two of us again, we have the freedom to do what we want and so increasingly, and worryingly, started taking things with us so we could. We were eying bigger vans with a 4.25 ton payload so we could carry even more. Thankfully, financial common sense has intervened and we are back to taking what we need to take to enjoy our breaks which have to be sufficiently different from the way we live at home.

Thank you for that, interesting.

The discipline of a ruck sack has always made us think just what we need and what we mabe don't.

I am a firm believer that the accessory shop at the dealer has a great deal to answer for for kit you carry but rarely use after its first outing.

My advice is make a list and stick to it. That way nothing you need is left at home and nothing you don't discarded.

Curtisden - 2015-08-24 1:21 PM

Up turned a 6m PVC with two huge rooftop boxes, satellite dome, Canoe on the roof,two bikes on the back and a trailer? Oh yes they were German.

The fact they were German suggests they were on an extended tour hence the abundance of supplies not needed by the average weekend getaway camper.

donna miller - 2015-08-25 6:23 PM

Curtisden - 2015-08-24 1:21 PM

The fact they were German suggests they were on an extended tour hence the abundance of supplies not needed by the average weekend getaway camper.

That is a good point and have to say that had not crossed my mind.

It was just the PVC under all this stuff was just only just visible.

But it was the roof with huge boxes both long and sideways. It must have had a huge effect on his MPG.

It did cross my mind "he needs a bigger Van"

Curtistden - I think that the reason you are getting some flak is simply that the tone of your post appears to be knocking those who tend to take a lot of clobber away with them - as against you who doesn't, You also follow up by knocking people because they are German and therefore must be the main culprits. It really doesn't matter what people cart about or from what country they come from so long as they don't interfere with other people. If I read your post incorrectly then I will be the first to apologise.

Ron

Given the amount of junk in my house (yes i'm a terrible hoarder!) i could easily fill my van to bursting point with the same clutter.....but then where would i sleep?!!! Much depends on what you are doing though i do understand the point the OP is making. Some folk rock up on a site with a van full of clobber and every imaginable 'extra' going. That's why they need huge 'garages' so they can fill 'em up with junk! Stuff they don't need but it's like a comfort blanket.

One thing i quickly learned never to do in any PVC or for that matter any MH is to stick anything in the shower space as that's usually where the toilet is and you quickly realise it's not such a clever idea to clutter up that area!

The one thing which does bug me is the numerous leads needed (phone, camera, gps, pc and tv) both for charging and usb leads. I have two gps units.......both use entirely different plugs to charge. Why nobody has come up with a 'one size for all' i don't know! However they take up very little room and the main problem is keeping all of them together in one place as some are easily lost.

When we downsized we went through a conscious exercise of pruning what we took/wanted to take/needed. That resulted in some equipment changes e.g. folding rather than solid bucket use integral step rather than ladder to clean top of windscreen etc etc. On our first big trip we were pleased with our efforts ...OK .. smug.

We met a couple of cycle campers in northern Spain who "borrowed" washing up liquid to put in their 50cc washing up liquid container. At that point we realised that it is all relative and actually we still carry a lot of kit.

Guest Peter James
Bulletguy - 2015-08-25 11:15 PM

....both use entirely different plugs to charge. Why nobody has come up with a 'one size for all' i don't know!

LOL: I think the leads in my garage would stretch round the world if joined together. Except they wouldn't join together because none is compatible with the another.

You can buy one of those multi chargers with a dozen different plugs and think it must fit everything, but a dozen doesn't even begin to cover them all. I think originally the plugs were made different so you couldn't plug the wrong charger in and damage the equipment.

Peter James - 2015-08-26 7:52 AM

....both use entirely different plugs to charge. Why nobody has come up with a 'one size for all' i don't know!

LOL: I think the leads in my garage would stretch round the world if joined together. Except they wouldn't join together because none is compatible with the another.

You can buy one of those multi chargers with a dozen different plugs and think it must fit everything, but a dozen doesn't even begin to cover them all. I think originally the plugs were made different so you couldn't plug the wrong charger in and damage the equipment.

There is a answer to the lead problem and that is only buy one make of technology. In my case apple and they all work. Well nearly as they too changed their plug 2 years ago,

I carry my bits Photo batter chargers, lead and extra 3 data cards in one place a plastic box.

Bit obsessive about saving weigh and rattles so all have hook and loop straps.

But the most useful idea i have found is to hard wire the Tom Tom and the dash camera back to the fuse board.

I found this far from simple in modern systems. As few of the fuses seem to be on off live.

But a piggy back connector allows you to use a cut down 12 volt socket to be hidden behind the dash and fed out of sight to each item. No more flapping leads getting in the way.

Re rattles, a lot of them are down to the loads of stuff you take.

AAA22.jpg.4dfd6badfba503a12cbc19bb1efcc6f9.jpg

AAA11.jpg.dea60898dcd0405983c40adad0ca89f3.jpg

AAA33.jpg.52a10f4568000e386ec1c76cb1febb2d.jpg

Curtisden - 2015-08-26 10:16 AM

There is a answer to the lead problem and that is only buy one make of technology. In my case apple and they all work. Well nearly as they too changed their plug 2 years ago,

I carry my bits Photo batter chargers, lead and extra 3 data cards in one place a plastic box.

But the most useful idea i have found is to hard wire the Tom Tom and the dash camera back to the fuse board.

I found this far from simple in modern systems. As few of the fuses seem to be on off live.

But a piggy back connector allows you to use a cut down 12 volt socket to be hidden behind the dash and fed out of sight to each item. No more flapping leads getting in the way.

Hhhmm......never seen an Apple camera! :D But yes, i get where you are coming from.

Here's a stunner. I bought a 15" Dell laptop pc just before the mini notebook things came on the market. I bought it primarily for use when touring so a notebook would have been better (size wise) but choice was still very limited at that point.

Great pc and of course came with an internal disc drive....which you have to buy separate if you have a notebook. Next thing i needed was a 12v charger which i thought i'd pick up off fleabay for £1.50 but the plug on the Dell E5500 is a weird size.

After posing a question on a computer forum i was told, "yes you can get a non OE 12v charger which will operate it......but it won't charge the battery". Dell, pulled a crafty one on this. The only 12v charger which will actually charge the pc is a Dell OE part which aren't cheap! Once i knew what i was looking for (it comes as part of a kit of leads/plugs in a pouch) i spotted one on fleabay and bought it. So that lead now stays in my van.

Hardwiring gps in is a good idea and does at least get rid of the flapping lead! Some day i might just get around to that!

Bulletguy - 2015-08-26 11:07 AM

Curtisden - 2015-08-26 10:16 AM

Hhhmm......never seen an Apple camera! :D But yes, i get where you are coming from.

Here's a stunner. I bought a 15" Dell laptop pc just before the mini notebook things came on the market. I bought it primarily for use when touring so a notebook would have been better (size wise) but choice was still very limited at that point.

Great pc and of course came with an internal disc drive....which you have to buy separate if you have a notebook. Next thing i needed was a 12v charger which i thought i'd pick up off fleabay for £1.50 but the plug on the Dell E5500 is a weird size.

After posing a question on a computer forum i was told, "yes you can get a non OE 12v charger which will operate it......but it won't charge the battery". Dell, pulled a crafty one on this. The only 12v charger which will actually charge the pc is a Dell OE part which aren't cheap! Once i knew what i was looking for (it comes as part of a kit of leads/plugs in a pouch) i spotted one on fleabay and bought it. So that lead now stays in my van.

Hardwiring gps in is a good idea and does at least get rid of the flapping lead! Some day i might just get around to that!

Sorry Bull but!

icam2_mini.jpg.d52d43db0048537117b51f34d49a1bfa.jpg

Curtisden - 2015-08-26 11:23 AM

Sorry Bull but!

Oooh yes....i'd forgot about those!! :D

Trouble is, for me they are all but useless. I just find everything too small and can't do with all this 'flicking' and 'flirting' of fingers needed to operate them! My fat fingers need a keyboard! Doesn't help being arthritic too. :-(

Bulletguy - 2015-08-26 12:00 PM

Curtisden - 2015-08-26 11:23 AM

Sorry Bull but!

Oooh yes....i'd forgot about those!! :D

Trouble is, for me they are all but useless. I just find everything too small and can't do with all this 'flicking' and 'flirting' of fingers needed to operate them! My fat fingers need a keyboard! Doesn't help being arthritic too. :-(

No me too I also find it a total pain using a phone/pad to take a photo.

But then that requires more kit and as my flickr site shows I am quite a keen snapper.

It all adds weight and something else to be pinched.

Thankyou Brian a good point.

If you read to OP it was not putting down anyone but a simple robust observation of a event that I saw.

Leading to an inferred question of why some need so much kit.

But as maybe you would agree the post on some subjects seem to produce a out of all proportion response that also puzzles me.

Children on sites, Dogs everywhere, a suggestion that this Ferry route or that make of Camper may not be up to scratch produces not argument but personal vindictive.

We all know the usual suspects and I try to be both robust and balanced in my postings.

Why is it so often that a request for some advice or information on a subject produce torrents of :-

I have never been to Spain but Bradford is? I have never had that but? or Don't have a clue on that make but?

But maybe enough is enough and now it has stopped raining I can go back out and finish tidying the Camper ready for our next foray to places remote, wild camping in some stunning valley regardless of the weather away from the madding crowd.

I can smell the coffee now.

Thanks

Now you've got me really worried, we have two lockers that never have anything in them and we are able to survive on the road quite well despite this. Should I be finding ways of filling these up forthwith ;-)

Must say I fall right into the "curtain twitcher" category, what's the fun without keeping tabs on our temporary neighbours. What the folk in the OP needed was what I saw on my last trip, a van towing a horsebox, sized trailer with a selection of gubbins similar to those mentioned. No washing machine though..........as far as I could see that is (lol)

Archived