up-rateing weight plate

oldaljones

Hi all, I have a Bessacarr E560 on a fiat chassis and would like to up-grade my gross vehicle weight from 3,500kgs to 3750kgs after speaking to people at SVtech at the Malvern show who told me this is purely a paperwork excercise and no mechanical work needs to be done, can i do this myself and where do i get the forms from , has anyone already done this and can you offer any advice, £300+ seems alot for form filling or am i missing something.

Old Al

oldaljones - 2015-08-26 11:08 AM

Hi all, I have a Bessacarr E560 on a fiat chassis and would like to up-grade my gross vehicle weight from 3,500kgs to 3750kgs after speaking to people at SVtech at the Malvern show who told me this is purely a paperwork excercise and no mechanical work needs to be done, can i do this myself and where do i get the forms from , has anyone already done this and can you offer any advice, £300+ seems alot for form filling or am i missing something.

Old Al

This is the one http://tinyurl.com/o8rtytr

Just one thing before you start. The fact that you want to up-grade suggests to me that your van is already close to its MAM. Have you checked the individual axle loads against their VIN plate limits, with your van fully loaded as it would be for travel?

The uprating you propose will not increase the axle load limits so, if either (most probably the rear) is already close to its limit when laden, the gain you would make from up-grading would be limited by permissible axle capacity. So, you could complete the process and gain 250kg increase in MAM, only to find the actual benefit is limited to 50kg or less, because that is all you can add before one of the axles becomes overloaded. If that is the case, you may be able to increase the permissible load for that axle, but that would probably involve supplementing the suspension and fitting heavier rated tyres. I suspect that kind of upgrade would not be a DIY job.

I used SV Tech myself earlier this year. Anecdotal evidence suggests dealing with DVLA on ones own has the potential to be an irritation at least and a minefield at worst.  I opted to use SV Tech for the peace of mind.  They took details of the base vehicle, wheelbase, overhang, tyres fitted etc etc and were very professional in informing me of all options including considerations/benefits for pre existing max axle weights.  They even advised that instead of upping to 3850kgs we could go to 4000kgs if we so desired.......which we did.  Then it was simply a matter of paying, getting the forms back, posting to DVLA (a note in SV Tech envelope details what to do if problems arise...they didn't), getting revised documents back and aplying the new SV Tech supplied plate to the vehicle.  Oh and not forgetting the road tax refund which was a bonus....... 

People will bang on about  gross weights, axle weights etc which they are correct to do but........my experience with SV Tech is they will 'steer you straight' removing any doubts or concerns you might have.  The figures they provide will clearly show if the upgrade is worthwhile within the existing axle limits.  We did it and are very happy with the outcome.

Archived