Two toilet cassettes anyone?

timabob

We can go at least 4 days on our water tank, including showers, but the toilet cassette only lasts 2.

We are wondering, for Continental touring to carry a second cassette, so we can go longer off piste.

Does anyone do this and if they do, how do they secure the first "full" cassette while the second is being used. If not stored properly the consequences don't bear thinking about :-(

Be not afraid, stored full toilet cassettes do not seem to get over-exited in any way, although I would carry your spare in an outside locker rather than under the OH's bed. We have used it only twice as I recall, but of course that reflects our pattern of use of the MH and it has been a source of comfort to have it. An empty one is of course quite light so if you have the space it's no burden to carry.

I took care to check with the SOG people that there was no problem "blowing off", even going to alpine altitudes and apparently there isn't. There is a vent device, both in the standard cassette and when they are modified for SOG system, so there is no credible risk of any pressure-related problem - and that's been our experience. The stored cassette just sits there, full or empty, and neither spills nor smells. We store ours in an under-floor side locker, unrestrained. I wouldn't be too worried about carry it in the garage if necessary.

Would I buy a spare cassette if i didn't already have one? Probably not at a Thetford list price of nearly £200 but they did do a special offer of a "refresher kit", consisting of a new cassette and toilet seat, intended to cater for squeamish people who are buying a used MH and don't want their stuff having to go where other people's stuff have been, nor sit on a toilet seat that others have sat upon. The toilet bowl doesn't get changed so I'm not sure I follow the value in hygiene terms but never mind, it provides a cheap way to buy a spare cassette. The combination of new seat plus spare cassette was around £100 and I think they still do them.

I'm with StuartO on this one. We bought ours at a show for the cheap price, carry it, full or empty, in the outside locker at the back with no problems, and are reassured by it's availability.

I suppose it would be wise to ensure that can sit on a flat, horizontal surface against the forward bulkhead of the locker.

AGD

A good idea to have a spare. I have carried one for years and hardly ever use it., but, as someone has said, peace of mind when the little red light comes on :-S . My loo has a SOG unit fitted and when the cassette is full I remove the SOG pipe adapter and refit the breather, or one-way valve.....just in case ;-)

This is common practise in Europe, Fiamma sell a special plastic attachment that can be fitted under the van, and allows you to store your spare/full cassette, until a suitable emptying point is found. Costs about £100. Google Kassette tank storage. The cassette is completely enclosed, so, protected from the weather etc.,

Not a fan of Sog systems myself, prefer Elsan blue, have the Thetford equivalent fitted, and not that impressed. Ray

This April 2015 discussion may be worth reading

https://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Cassette-Toilets/37880/

The cheapest way to obtain a new Thetford cassette will almost certainly be (as StuartO advises) by purchasing a Thetford “Fresh-Up” set.

http://www.thecaravanshop.co.uk/toilets-chemicals/cassette-fresh-up-kits/cat_50.html

The Fiamma product designed to carry a toilet-cassette is called “Porta Kassett”.

http://www.fiammastore.com/Caravan-and-Motorhome-Water-Carriers-Storage-and-Fittings/Fiamma-Porta-Kassett-Tank-Container

It should be noted that the larger-capacity Thetford cassettes won’t fit in either of the Porta Kassett versions.

A SOG cassette ventilation system is available for all Thetford cassette toilets

http://www.soguk.co.uk/

whereas Thetford’s own system (not really equivalent to the SOG products as it’s only semi-automatic) is only applicable to C250/C260 toilets.

The Thetford system can be retro-fitted via a kit

http://www.thethetfordcentre.co.uk/thetford-c260-automatic-ventilator.html

but fitting may be challenging

http://www.bradtech.ltd.uk/toilets-pumps/?p=129

How easy it will be to install a SOG kit will depend on the model of Thetford toilet involved and how the toilet has been installed in the motorhome. There are two types of kit, the original sort that (normally) will have the fan-unit mounted in the cassette-locker door, or the SOG II type (with larger filter) where the fan-unit will (normally) be mounted outside the locker

http://www.sognz.co.nz/sog-ii-installation-pictures/

Rayjsj - 2015-08-27 3:05 PM

This is common practise in Europe, Fiamma sell a special plastic attachment that can be fitted under the van, and allows you to store your spare/full cassette, until a suitable emptying point is found. Costs about £100. Google Kassette tank storage. The cassette is completely enclosed, so, protected from the weather etc.,

Not a fan of Sog systems myself, prefer Elsan blue, have the Thetford equivalent fitted, and not that impressed. Ray

Not a fan of Elsan Blue or SOG Just info that may help :-S That's sort of what the forum is for.....I think

We add Elsan pink (diluted)into a spray bottle for freshening up the bowl and reduce water used for flushing

I also squeeze some down the plugholes (slightly more concentrated) from a tomato sauce bottle - they don't drip to help keep the tank clean/ fresh

I usually buy the double concentrate Elsan blue/pink in a double pack when I see it on offer- the pink would be redundant if I didn't use it this way

I don't usually have sufficient storage for a spare cassette

Ruby(Exsis) - 2015-08-31 9:43 AM

We add Elsan pink (diluted)into a spray bottle for freshening up the bowl and reduce water used for flushing

I also squeeze some down the plugholes (slightly more concentrated) from a tomato sauce bottle - they don't drip to help keep the tank clean/ fresh

I usually buy the double concentrate Elsan blue/pink in a double pack when I see it on offer- the pink would be redundant if I didn't use it this way

I don't usually have sufficient storage for a spare cassette

Me too, our flush water comes straight from the fresh water tank . Elsan pink(red really) is a good disinfection product, if used in separate toilet flush tanks, No black mould forms. Always have a squeeze bottle full near the toilet.

• 4 years later...

I think a spare cassette is a valuable accessory if wild camping or staying on aires. For years I experienced the anguish of seeking somewhere where I could legitimately empty a full toilet cassette and so when my wife and I purchased our current Swift "Escape 624" and I discovered that the Fiamma cassette carrier would take a C250 cassette I was off like a shot to purchase a spare cassette and the Fiamma kit. It has proven useful many times - but nine out of ten times the little red warning light comes on at dead of night!

The Fiamma kit was challenging to fit: the underside of the "Escape 624" has so many cross-members and other fittings that there was only one place where the cassette carrier could go and there was only about a quarter inch clearance all round. If I was to attempt this again I would make a template before hand to ensure that all the fittings for the carrier on the underside of the floor are correctly placed. Failure to do so added hours.

The galvanised threaded hanger for locking the carrier in place corroded very rapidly so it became difficult to unwind/wind up the nut that locks the carrier in place. Eventually I had to cut away most of the threaded section, fit a stainless steel coupler nut ( https://www.westfieldfasteners.co.uk/Nut_M.html ) and attach a suitable length of stainless steel stud. Problem solved

Why does it have to be a whole spare cassette, could not you simply decant the cassette off into a holding container?

Thus allowing you to select a container of size and shape that you could better store, by selecting one that fits where a space is available.

Potentially could be a cheaper solution.

Two containers? One full one is enough especially when it's been filled by someone other than yourself. On collecting our recently purchased new-to us-van from a very well known, multi branch, dealer it's state of preparation was appalling and it took us a full two weeks to properly clean everything that hadn't been touched. However, by far the worst item was that the toilet cassette hadn't even been emptied and was still full with the previous owners, fermenting, solid and liquid 'waste'.

Sorry, thread drift!

FD

Fred Duck - 2019-10-08 2:00 PM

Two containers? One full one is enough especially when it's been filled by someone other than yourself. On collecting our recently purchased new-to us-van from a very well known, multi branch, dealer it's state of preparation was appalling and it took us a full two weeks to properly clean everything that hadn't been touched. However, by far the worst item was that the toilet cassette hadn't even been emptied and was still full with the previous owners, fermenting, solid and liquid 'waste'.

Sorry, thread drift!

FD

Things could get worse if you find out sometime in the future they did also fit a second cassette!

Rayjsj - 2015-08-27 3:05 PM

Update to this: Have now changed to Dometic soluble capsules instead of Elsan Fluid , a great space saver and work REALLY well.

Ocsid - 2019-10-08 1:40 PM

Why does it have to be a whole spare cassette, could not you simply decant the cassette off into a holding container?

Thus allowing you to select a container of size and shape that you could better store, by selecting one that fits where a space is available.

Potentially could be a cheaper solution.

The whole idea surely is that you dont do ANY decanting. 2nd underslung cassette is a good idea, and £100 is not that expensive.

Archived