Have you managed to get your remote central locking key repaired?

Casimir

My Fiat Ducato central locking remote key no longer works. This is almost certainly the result of swimming in a lovely thermal pool in Spain with the key in my pocket!

I understand that new remote key could cost around £180 from a Fiat dealer. However I have come across a few sellers on eBay and elsewhere offering a key repair service for about £30. This includes repairing the circuit board.

I wondered if anybody else has had any experience of getting their remote key repaired?

Any feedback would be welcome.

I would think twice about using anywhere other than a Fiat dealer, because what is to stop them making 2 keys? They would have your address, presumably? Maybe even the reg no of van. Therefore easy to find van and drive it away???

Whats £180 .00 compared to the cost of loosing your van??

Just my opinion, but then I trust no-one these days.

PJay

As suggested in a previous thread, you could try Timpsons for a replacement. They should be easier on your wallet than Fiat, but still expensive.

I am investigating obtaining a replacement non central locking key for my early 2006 Ducato, but the nearest branch to me is waiting for the protracted return of essential equipment.

Alan

Hi, as suggested, take it apart and wash it out with fresh water then gently dry it out with a hair dryer.

you must wash it out with clean water as the chlorine in pool water could react with the copper inside the key electronics causing corrosion, , and the tiny batteries inside will almost certainly need replacing.

if the electronics inside have died, then a replacement key is only option. Doubtful if one is available other than from

vehicle main dealer..at great expense.

tonyg3nwl.

I left a mobile phone in my pocket and it went in the washing machine.

Did a bit of googling and the perceived wisdom was if the thing was kaput completely, and therefore nowt to lose, freeze it.

I kid you not. So I did. 24 hours later I got the phone out, let it defrost, blew a blast of warm air on it, pressed the on button and it worked!

One of the buttons was a tad difficult to extract a response from but other than that it lasted until its contract expired about 6 months later.

Martyn

Archived