Insurance

tomag

We plan on being away for 3 months or more this winter but as I am 70 the most days away for travel insurance I have been quoted for is 60 days away ,what do other people do about travel insurance when they are over 70 and away for 3 months

Liverpool and Victoria.. get a quote on phone if you like but then do it online yourself as loads cheaper. Covers up to 90 days each trip as many times a year as you want so better than CCC. We are 75 and 59 with medical conditions. Please, please declare everything as they are good as long as all medical conditions declared. Which recommended

chris

chris - 2015-09-03 9:50 PM

If you take out comfort house insurance you can then take out their travel insurance too which you could go for 365 days then

You must make sure house insurance covers 90 days or more too.

It can pay to have both van and house with Comfort, as the period of unoccupancy on the house can then be set to match the trip duration for your van, subject to a premium adjustment, with relatively few strings. However, Comfort would not provide us with travel/health insurance once over 70. Fortunately, we have a Nationwide account, and have been able to extend their standard free travel insurance for 90 days absence on an annual basis, including one or two declared health issues, for an annual premium of £90.

Brian Kirby

Fortunately, we have a Nationwide account, and have been able to extend their standard free travel insurance for 90 days absence on an annual basis, including one or two declared health issues, for an annual premium of £90.

As with all these free offers, there is always a catch.

To qualify for the basic free Nationwide travel insurance (31 days per trip) you need to switch all your DD's and SO's from another bank OR pay in £750 per month to your Flexaccount.

Only once you have done this and obtained the Certificate of Insurance can you upgrade to a maximum of 180 days away. So, you have no way of knowing how much the upgrade is going to cost until you have jumped through all the hoops to obtain the basic free travel insurance. Well, that's how I read it.

Also, the travel insurance is valid up to your 75th birthday, after that you need to take out an age upgrade policy.

If you already have your main bank account with Nationwide, then it's probably a good deal.

Brian Kirby - 2015-09-04 1:17 PM

Not sure that is a "catch", John. No-one is going to give the insurance away, so some form of cost must be expected.

I hear what you say, Brian - valid comment. However, there doesn't seem to be a mechanism by which Nationwide are able to provide a quote for extended travel insurance until one commits to the free package under their qualifying terms & conditions.

I suppose, it may even be possible for Nationwide to refuse the basic free travel insurance, if severe medical problems were disclosed and they found the risk unacceptable.

In which case, it would be counter-productive to switch bank accounts.

Archived