Drinking Water (another thread!)

Fellbound

My MH came with a 15 m length of food grade (is that the right term???!!!) Hose which is generally adequate for filling up on most sites. However, it isn't long enough to reach the outside tap when I want to fill the tank at home. I purchased a cheap length of ordinary garden hose to extend it but have since read that you shouldn't use these for drinking water. Anyone know why, or if this is just an old wives's tale? I know many motorhomers top up their tank on site using a garden watering can so is there really a problem with a new piece of garden hose?

If you are willing to accept the very minimal risks of introducing contaminates to your water supply, use a garden hose. If you're not, use a food grade hose.

A food grade hose is designed to get water etc from point A to B without introducing contaminates. Plasticiser from the rubber hose is one but bacteria is better able to live in a garden hose than a food hose. A garden hose is designed to wash the van and water plants, neither of which will be bothered by contaminates or bacteria. Your motorhome water system will be food grade hose.

We live in a world where people are increasingly intolerant of food and drink for reasons we never knew existed when we were young. There is a risk that someone may have an adverse reaction to contaminates in a garden hose water which cannot exist in a food grade hose.

I've never met anyone who died from using a garden hose.

Fellbound - 2015-09-03 12:14 PM

My MH came with a 15 m length of food grade (is that the right term???!!!) Hose which is generally adequate for filling up on most sites. However, it isn't long enough to reach the outside tap when I want to fill the tank at home. I purchased a cheap length of ordinary garden hose to extend it but have since read that you shouldn't use these for drinking water. Anyone know why, or if this is just an old wives's tale? I know many motorhomers top up their tank on site using a garden watering can so is there really a problem with a new piece of garden hose?

When we had a narrowboat we used an ordinary garden hose to fill our water tank. We were out on the boat for at least five months every year for eleven years. We did fit a Seagull 4 filter (as I have in our m/home) and never had any problems.

I would say always drain the hose after use, and always let it flush through for a minute or so before filling your tank.

Dave

Brock - 2015-09-03 2:59 PM

If you are willing to accept the very minimal risks of introducing contaminates to your water supply, use a garden hose. If you're not, use a food grade hose.

A food grade hose is designed to get water etc from point A to B without introducing contaminates. Plasticiser from the rubber hose is one but bacteria is better able to live in a garden hose than a food hose. A garden hose is designed to wash the van and water plants, neither of which will be bothered by contaminates or bacteria. Your motorhome water system will be food grade hose.

We live in a world where people are increasingly intolerant of food and drink for reasons we never knew existed when we were young. There is a risk that someone may have an adverse reaction to contaminates in a garden hose water which cannot exist in a food grade hose.

I've never met anyone who died from using a garden hose.

Did you not hear of the guy who electrocuted himself using a garden hose? I assume accidently.

We buy the cheap 5 litre containers of water for drinking. But we use a garden hose to fill our water tank and use that water for tea/coffee making and cooking where the water will be boiled before being consumed, also for washing and teeth cleaning.

I hope it's not tempting fate to say we've never had any problems with this - 20 years and counting.

The quality of water outside the major cities in this part of the world to say the least is extremely variable. From superb in the Snowy Mountains to discussing from some of the bore water in the inland areas. The solution that has worked for us is food grade hose with an inline water filter so that all the water that we use is filtered. We carry two 15 Mtrs lengths. We use the "best " brand and found it excellent to take out the colour, taint and make the water drinkable. I am sure there is a Euro equiv of this type of filter.  www.besidioterfilters.com.au
This works for us as I dislike the flavour of chlorine in my Glenfiddich at happy hour.
Cheers Gary.

Archived