Truma combi

Globetrotter

Hi All It has just been suggested to me that it is OK to run a Truma combi boiler heating system whilst driving. Apparently Truma say this is OK as safeguards are provided in the system. Any views on this ? It would certainly be useful this winter if I could use the C6000 in my A class to keep the kids warm whilst driving!

Hi John, Are you sure that the habitation 12 volt electrical supply, which the Truma may be using, is not shut off when the motor ignition switch is turned on? Habitation electrics are switched off on my camper when the engine is started. I understand that some convector fires which have their own dry cell ignition can be left on while travelling, with the proviso that a special chimney terminal for the exhaust is fitted on the roof top vent. Regards Terry

I cannot comment about the suitability of that ( our instuction mannual says do not travel when lit, but it is a differnt Truma heater) I think Kenlow manufacture a auxillary heater that runs off the cooling system of the engine. I would think that its a wiser choice as: 1) the heat is free (sort of !), 2) You don't have to worry about a naked flame in case of an accident.

The 2007 Rapidos according to a report I read will not have the engine coolant heaters for the caravan portion; they are similar to the heaters fitted in mini-busses but instead will use the Tuma heaters while running. They will have a truma safety device fitted which cuts out the gas in the event of sudden loss of gas pressure as in the event of a pipe rupture in an accident. My 2005 Rapido 924F does not loose the 12 volt supply when the motor is started and I had my Autotrail modified so that the 12 volt stayed on while travelling and if you don't know why I think it's neccesary then you're probably travelling alone.

Whether or not you should do this depends a bit where you are.  I believe it is accepted practice in Germany to travel with the gas bottle cocks open and the heating on.  In France it is illegal to have the gas cocks open while driving, so the heating can't be run, unless the Truma Secumotion auto cut off equipment is installed.  So far as I know that equipment is original fit only, as of 2006.  It is generally regarded as unsafe to travel in UK with the cocks open, but I cannot say whether this is actually illegal.  However, it does increase fire risk in an accident where the rubber hose "tails" to the bottle are cut or damaged.  This is the risk Secumotion is designed to eliminate but your van will have to have been so equipped when you got it.  If it is, run the heating - but you'd presumably have to shut it off on filling station forecourts, unless there is an interlock of some sort to shut down the heating when the ignition is turned off, and on again after a delay, when the engine is re-started.

Archived