Our most useless item

Will86

Is the Thetford 'Excellence' Porta Potti with the battery operated water flush

New 2 years ago its never worked correctly. "The world's worst ever" designed screw cap to the battery compartment. It looks very pretty but is so smooth its impossibly to undo without Tarzan like fingers. Which elderly people DO NOT HAVE. Having struggled to rotate it, the blade of a screw driver is then needed to lift it from its seating.

When assembled correctly and in use it fails to switch off, and when supposedly 'off' it will suddenly start up on its own emptying the top container. IT IS USELESS.

(A copy of this post is being sent to Thetford)

Anyone considering buying one I suggest they choose the hand pressed pump action type which never failed in 20 years.

Will

Guest pelmetman

Blimey Will your starting to sound like me :D .............

"Design over function" has become todays twendy wendy designers mantra *-) ...........

Progress eh? ;-) ..........

I am definitely of the school that believes that designers should be made to use what they design. I’ve just returned from the Shepton Mallet motorhome show. Looking at the many ‘vans there it was surprising the number of, albeit minor design flaws that were obvious to someone who would actually be using the designs. Handles in the wrong place, overhead cupboards making it impossible to sit up in bed, awkwardly positioned steps to name but three.

Cattwg :-D

pelmetman - 2015-09-13 5:05 PM

Blimey Will your starting to sound like me :D .............

Great, the problem is that the young designers are led (here) by other young designers instead of seasoned readers.

They have no idea what constitutes good vision acceptability, only 'make it different' to justify their job. They assume every reader is like themselves, no interest in what they do except 'just do it'.

We recently bought an Elddis Autoquest 115 (sunseeker dealer special)

The towel ring in the bathroom is totally in the wrong position (at least you have one I hear you say)

The light switch for the toilet is on an outside wall and the door opens out toward the bed, so the very powerful led light burns out your partners retinas when you pop the loo in the early hours, simple fix for £1.00 stick on led under the cupboard.

But on the whole, this van is brilliant (so far) and we saved a whopping £15000,00 compeared to the nuevo which would have been a direct replacement.

Pete

Hi, just a small comment, light switch outside toilet compartment is probably for "health and safety".

electricity and water dont mix very well.

compromise is usually acheived by fitting a pullcord operated switch in a position as far from water as is physically posible..not easy in a small toilet compartment.

tonyg3nwl

tonyg3nwl - 2015-09-14 5:37 PM

Hi, just a small comment, light switch outside toilet compartment is probably for "health and safety".

electricity and water dont mix very well.

compromise is usually acheived by fitting a pullcord operated switch in a position as far from water as is physically posible..not easy in a small toilet compartment.

tonyg3nwl

There is so safety issue as light circuit is 12 volts.

Going back to the Porta Potti Excellence, it's not just the electric flush that seems to answer a question that didn't need to be asked. I see that Thetford sell it on the basis that it has the "most striking design and innovative features". I can't think of any campers with oval shaped cupboards so have to wonder what practical benefits it's "striking design" bring.

Perhaps it forms a symbiotic relationship with the buttocks of the person using it or some such tosh but I'm at a bit of a loss to understand it.

Having just got back from a trip away where our old, manual pumped, Porta Potti was a godsend during the chilly nights, and fitted neatly into the cupboard, the one development I would quite like to see is some sort of slide out cassette waste tank arrangement (like the built in units) so that it's easier to empty.

I think I can live without "style" when it comes to the loo!

Peter

Archived