Hook up inverter

aka4ajax

Excuse my lack of technical knowledge on the subject;

I have a motorhome that has a 1000w inverter connected to a couple of leisure batteries. But at present I have not connected the 240v supply to the ring main for the sockets. As these are directly connected to a consumer panel that also when hooked up to mains supplies a charger to the batteries. By connecting it to the ring main it would energise its own charger causing all sorts of issues.

So i intend to isolate the socket ring main and connect the inverter to this using an inline selector switch.

My question is could i use a 240v relay to automate this supply?

1. normal operation the inverter supplies the ring main and is isolated from the rest of the consumer unit.

2. When mains hook up is supplied the relay kicks in and switches off the inverter supply and uses the mains.

Is that possible?

Exactly what I have done.

Motorhomes do not have ring mains they have radial circuits, you need to check where each feed goes.

In my van the circuit on one side fed 2 sockets and the fridge, on the other 2 sockets and the Elektroblock charger. I rewired the fridge to the consumer unit and fitted the relay so the 2 sockets on that side of the van changed over, not practical to rewire the other side.

You would need to put a 12v DC relay coil in parallel with the inverter feed so when the inverter is on the relay is also energized, and then wire the NC (normally closed) contacts in series with the live hook up so it breaks it. The relay contact rating would limit your normal hook up capacity though so maybe look at using a big contactor... Lol, to be honest you're over complicating things just put in a seperate socket for the inverter.

Archived