Eliminating Squeeks

timabob

We have a newish Hymer with an overhead bed. It is very quiet to drive providing the roads are smooth and even then there is virtually no noise from the driver's cab backwards. However, when we are on uneven roads there is a good deal of squeeking from what appears to be above our heads and presumably due to the overhead bed.

I have just been reading a blog (Our Bumble) and Craig is obsessive about any noise in his Hymer. He claims to have eliminated all of the squeeks eminating from their overhead bed.

To be honest the squeeking doesn't really bother me, but if it could be eliminated fairly easily I might give it a go.

What ideas do you have for eliminating these types of structural noise, as opposed to noise from crockery and things that you carry, which we seem to have pretty much licked?

timabob - 2015-09-16 4:12 PMWe have a newish Hymer with an overhead bed. It is very quiet to drive providing the roads are smooth and even then there is virtually no noise from the driver's cab backwards. However, when we are on uneven roads there is a good deal of squeeking from what appears to be above our heads and presumably due to the overhead bed. I have just been reading a blog (Our Bumble) and Craig is obsessive about any noise in his Hymer. He claims to have eliminated all of the squeeks eminating from their overhead bed.To be honest the squeeking doesn't really bother me, but if it could be eliminated fairly easily I might give it a go.What ideas do you have for eliminating these types of structural noise, as opposed to noise from crockery and things that you carry, which we seem to have pretty much licked?

There are possibly 2 solutions that you can approach this with.

A] There is the belt strap - similar to the safety belt system - that you can tighten which may ensure that there is not too much play in the overhead drop down bed.

B] Have a look at the bed struts on the overhead bed to see if there is excessive play.

My bet may be the tightening up of the belt on the overhead bed.

I can't think of anything else really, unless there is some lateral play on the overhead bed, so look at the bolts that hold the struts in place as well.
Hope this helps, or maybe someone else may have another idea, and will be along soon to offer their advice.

Archived