NEC show Oct 2015

Johnrob

Hi,

This will be my first trip to the show and I'm looking at buying my first van. Are there good discounts to be had at the show (compared to what you can normally negotiate at dealers)? Can you get deals on used motorhomes or only new? It may be that I buy before the show, but don't want to kick myself once I'm there!

Thanks,

Hi..

We've only been once or twice and they were both a few years back,after we'd bought our van(s).

If you haven't bought before you go, I'd warn against getting swept away with "shiny new van syndrome"...

I'd just treat it as a fact-finding exercise, look at as many different layouts as you can and try to envisage "living" in each.

Don't just stick you head through the door... lay on beds, stand in the showers, sit on loos etc.

Personally, I found the show(s) quite uninspiring... :-S

(as for not wanting to "kick yourself"..well if you have bought a van before the show, then just don't go?... ;-) )

There will be a lot of the new 2016 models that were announced over the summer at the NEC. On top of this there will definitely be some good discounts to be has as 'show offers'. The weakening Euro has made European 'vans cheaper if you buy direct, but no-one wants to get into a price cutting war here so 'vans are either getting lots of free equipment compared to last year, or benefiting from a 'show special' reduction at the NEC. As has been said, it's a great opportunity to test out different layouts and see what would really work for your needs.

My perception of dealers at the show is that they will promise whatever is necessary to get you signed up but do not always deliver on their promises. Delays in delivery, missing extras, changes to discounts or trade ins get mentioned. Good deals are possible away from the bustle of the show with the dealer having more time to talk to you. You can also choose your dealer away from the show. Second hand vans are not at the show.

My only experience of buying from an NEC show was the dealer proved the van was already in stock, gave me an acceptable deal, and promised delivery in two weeks. Everything went ahead according to plan. So perception from umpteem NEC visits does not match one reality.

Dress so you can crawl on the floor to look underneath vans, carry at least two pens or pencils, a notebook, and a long tape measure. Food and drink is expensive as in all such events. Rucksacks on your back are often banned from inside the vans.

I bought my van at a show and found each dealer was trying to undercut the other which was great for buyers. I felt as though I had secured a good deal which included getting a fantastic part exchange price for my own motorhome meaning I lost less than £4000 in 7 years ownership. I can thoroughly recommend buying a van at a show but of course there are probably better deal if you buy abroad.

Unless you get to see every dealer representing a particular manufacturer, you'll never know of you got the best deal. The best package might be with a dealer who's busy at the time you're on the stand so you never ever get to talk to them - who knows?

I'd like to see a system where you give your details and specific requirements to the manufacturer's bimbos on the desk at say 11.00am (or put them in a box marked "potential buyer"?) and they circulate them to ALL the dealers on their stand. At say 4.00pm. you return to the stand and see which dealers are really interested. If, at the end of the day, they can't be asked to give you a price or discuss what's what, it's possibly their loss and perhaps not best to deal with them anyway.

As an aside, we were looking to buy a new caravan at the 2013 February show. Didn't commit but got some very keen prices which we subsequently used to beat down two local dealers. Deal was then done locally and we were more than happy.

I would also suggest that to get a better understanding of the various makes of motorhome you talk to members of the Owners Clubs where they exist on the trade stands. IMO owners often have much better knowledge of the motorhomes than salespeople. Plus owners don't need to make a commission for their attention and information. We have bought once at a show and got a really good deal so no complaints. Often the show models are heavily discounted but if you want another spec then you have to wait until 2016. If you want second hand motorhomes then go to the regional shows especially Peterborough.

Archived