Howling heater

W3526602

Hi, Can anyone advise? My 1994 Talbot Express' heater frequently breaks into song. Really loud! But some days its quiet. Why? Is the noise a dry bearing, or the fan hitting the case, or what? Is there a cure? I suppose I should bite the bullet, and crawl under the dash to take a look. But age makes me reluctant, coupled with my experiences when fitting a new speedo cable on a similar FIAT Ducato. I reckon FIAT held the cable in mid-air......and built the van around it. 602

Hi, most common problem on most heater fans is dry bearings and start to sing on occassions. Only cure is to get into fan bearings and add a touch of oil. usually they only sing at certain temperatures and I have found most often when it is cold weather. Can't be of much help I am afraid on advice on access as do not know the dash, but often it is easier to remove half the dashboard to get access. Good luck! Jon

Hi Terry, Won't work, the fan will just throw it away from bearings. Also WD40 drys up in a relatively short time and if used to lubricate bearings will only last a short time. Even 3 in 1 oil is not suitable, you need a thin oil like Duckams household oil, or a good quality cycle oil will suffice. If you are stuck a drop of engine oil works well. But WD-40 - only good for a quick short term fix, and as a release oil. I absolutely hate the stuff, but having said that I admit I do keep a tin of it at all times as it does have its uses. Jon.

Ahh well I tried to help anyway, so it looks like a strip down job. I wonder if you have a breakers yard in you area and the time to vist it ? When I sourced all my spares from a breakers yard (a good few years ago now), they would let me remove the part - really useful to get a bit of practice in before dismantling the one that really matters. Regards Terry

Hi, Thanks for advice. Yes, it does seem worse on cold days...when you need it most. I guess I will have to get down on my knees under the dash. My son joined combat with a big spider in Oz, zapping it with WD40. Spider retaliated by jumping at his face. Son managed to shoot himself in the eyes. When he could see again, the spider was dead. If the spider has any friends....they can have the car. WD40 will also soften the glue used on sticky labels. And somebody says it helps athritis.....makes sense...maybe. I learned the hard way that penetrating oil is called "de-grippant" in France. 602

Archived