Rust under Cab

aka4ajax

Guest Peter James
Mike88 - 2015-09-28 10:49 AM

Peter James assertion that new oil doesn't smell is simply not true.

I did not say new oil doesn't smell

Please read it again

Interesting comments.

Any form of glass bead blasting or steel shot blasting will go everywhere, yes everywhere, it will rebound into all of the tiniest joints and quite likely do damage to parts you never thought of. No operator of the equipment will be able to prevent this. He will be wearing completely enclosed clothing including a mask. Looking rather like an original underwater sea diver.

Steam cleaning is a pressurised process as well as heated and should remove any flaking pieces of rusted metal, hot water will dry at some point allowing the next stage to be carried out.

Any type of paint and how many times you apply it does very little, the corrosion process carries on underneath paint in any moisture laden atmosphere.

Peter J has the best answer to preventing the creeping corrosion problem. Very easy to apply. Very effective and long lasting. As he rightly suggests modern vehicles don't leak oil like the older ones and therefore have less protection.

If you wish to do the job correctly. Steam clean and gear oil is the answer.

(Learned from many years repairing and laying under vehicles. One old dodge in the years when body parts were bolted together was to oil every joint on the outside bodywork where rainwater could travel)

Will

PS Oil has that peculiar creeping tendency. Paint is the opposite.

Charles - 2015-09-28 10:57 AM

I wouldn't use oil on a motorhome that's why I suggested white spray grease that has no smell. Incidentally it isn't white it's clear, same as white wine isn't white lol

I agree, and white grease doesn't 'dry out' or allow rust to form underneath it. I reckon about 6 tins to spray all the metal underneath a motorhome, galvanised chassis don't need it of course. But the cab and sump and crossmembers certainly do.

Guest Peter James

I must have driven over a hundred thousand miles abroad, but the only place I have seen 'surface dressing' is in Britain. ('Surface dressing' is a cheap and nasty way of bodging up the road surface by spraying tar and loose chippings) When a stone chipping hits paint its likely to leave a pinhole big enough for salt water to get in and start rust beneath the paint :-( Wheras a coating of oil will spread over the pinhole and reseal it straightaway :-D

Yes new gear oil smells (rather than stinks) a little. But you are not likely to smell it when its outside under the van. Especially above the noxious fumes emitted by diesel engines, gas heaters, etc etc

"Yes new gear oil smells (rather than stinks) a little. But you are not likely to smell it when its outside under the van. Especially above the noxious fumes emitted by diesel engines, gas heaters, etc etc"

All very true. But you'll smell it when you lie in bed at night.

Guest Peter James
Mike88 - 2015-09-30 9:55 AM

"Yes new gear oil smells (rather than stinks) a little. But you are not likely to smell it when its outside under the van. Especially above the noxious fumes emitted by diesel engines, gas heaters, etc etc"

All very true. But you'll smell it when you lie in bed at night.

I think would need a very strong sense of smell. It still wouldn't bother me as I don't find the smell of clean oil unpleasant. :-D

Guest Peter James
rolandrat - 2015-09-30 10:10 AM

It used to be a common saying, "Never buy a car that spent it's life at the seaside". I think the same applies to motorhomes that have been to places like Norway and Skiing trips in the winter. Salty roads = corrosion. A good pointer is the condition of the brake pipes.

I've certainly seen some rusty vans on fishmarkets. But the Fiats resist rust better than the Mercedes.

Peter James - 2015-09-30 11:00 AM

rolandrat - 2015-09-30 10:10 AM

It used to be a common saying, "Never buy a car that spent it's life at the seaside". I think the same applies to motorhomes that have been to places like Norway and Skiing trips in the winter. Salty roads = corrosion. A good pointer is the condition of the brake pipes.

I've certainly seen some rusty vans on fishmarkets. But the Fiats resist rust better than the Mercedes.

I live at the end of a cliff so my vehicles get a fair bit of salt (and seaweed). There was never any sign of rust on my Fiat motorhome but my Mk6 Transit was beginning to develop rusty seams. I can't speak for Mercedes but as their bodies are not galvanised my location would determine that they would not be for me.

We had our Autotrail Cheyenne done by Rust something and, when I took a look underneath there were several places that that had not been done. I rang him and he said would come down himself (about 150 miles). I stayed with him until all was covered.Not over pleased.

Thanks all still seems two sides to this debate, but both are definitely advising me against sand blasting and painting afterwards.

I am going to look at this on Thursday morning to assess the extent of the rust corrosion and will report back for further advice.

Neil

Guest Man of Kent

And so, you've been told what's best, now its up to you.

What some of you don't realise is that the corrosion of steel not only has a surface effect, salts will follow attractive chemical elements right through a component depending on its thickness, regardless of any 'painted' covering. A chassis is a basic structure containing iron and prone to corrosion. Steering and braking components contain elements that resist corrosion.

Why are some of you frightened about oil ? Much better to have a safe vehicle !

Archived