Oil level guage 2014 Peugeot

artheytrate

To day I gave our 2014 Peugeot Auto Sleeper an oil change getting ready for our trip to Benidorm next week, and since I've done the change only 1 segment of the digital oil level is reading. Before I did the oil change it was reading normal 5 segments, any Idea's

John

At the risk of stating the obvious it seems that you haven't put enough oil in. Personally I find the dipstick in the 2.2 Puma engine very hard to read; it tends to trap oil above it in its tube and it's hard to get an accurate reading.

I guess that I've done 5 or 6 oil changes on my van and its similarly-engined predecessor now and, having measured the quantity of used oil that comes out, I put in 6 litres plus a full filter and it takes it to just below the max mark and 4 or 5 segments on the dash reading.

What level does the dipstick show as that is the one to trust?

Have you driven it on the road as that might settle it down?

Two choices - believe in your own handiwork - or drain the oil out, check the volume and put it all back again!

Steve is wrong - do not fill your boots - as I understand it, oil is much more effective in the sump than it is in your boots.

Hi Rich, the dipstick is showing the oil to top Mark, I've also driven the van for a couple of miles but the gauge is only showing 1 segment. It was fine before the oil change and was alright when I did the last oil change. I will trust the vehicle dipstick and not the other dipstick.

John.

Mike88 - 2015-10-01 8:46 PM

Isn't your van under warranty? Why not speak to the dealer as it looks as though you have a faulty gauge.

And whilst doing so I would not mention that you have changed the oil yourself instead of following the warranty terms and paying a vat registered garage to do so, preferably with Peugeot recommended oil!!

artheytrate - 2015-10-02 12:25 AM

Peugeot recommended oil is what I used and a better German oil filter.

John.

Tracker has made a good point. You might need to switch the filter back to the original as the warranty might require equipment matching the Peugeot spec to be fitted. Otherwise the warranty will be compromised. We all know how dealers like to wriggle out of warranty repairs. You say that a better filter has been installed but Peugeot might take a different view.

Once in a while we see this, no idea why it is random. In most cases the MH Dash gauge returned to normal within a short space of time but one took 3 days.

3 or 4 times we would double check the MH is on level ground, read the Dipstick to find it spot 'on the mark' but the Dash Gauge reading wrong.

We also had a Motorhome brought in that had been overfilled. When we drained the Oil to the correct level the gauge still read high for about 4 days before it settled.

Interestingly a neighbour Garage did an Oil change an a 2012 Audi car that then would not start because 'something' still believed the Oil level to be too low after filling to the mark so prevented the Engine from starting.

It's a known issue and the local Audi garage loaned a manufacturer only device to shut down the 'Oil gauge' for 36 hours to give it time to sort itself out.

We would suggest that if the Oil is on the correct mark on the Dipstick when the vehicle is on level ground then trust the dipstick. But only if the check is done on level ground.

The reason the owner overfilled the MH mentioned above is because he checked the Oil on a slope so got a false reading.

aandncaravan - 2015-10-03 8:29 PM

Once in a while we see this, no idea why it is random. In most cases the MH Dash gauge returned to normal within a short space of time but one took 3 days.

3 or 4 times we would double check the MH is on level ground, read the Dipstick to find it spot 'on the mark' but the Dash Gauge reading wrong.

We also had a Motorhome brought in that had been overfilled. When we drained the Oil to the correct level the gauge still read high for about 4 days before it settled.

Interestingly a neighbour Garage did an Oil change an a 2012 Audi car that then would not start because 'something' still believed the Oil level to be too low after filling to the mark so prevented the Engine from starting.

It's a known issue and the local Audi garage loaned a manufacturer only device to shut down the 'Oil gauge' for 36 hours to give it time to sort itself out.

We would suggest that if the Oil is on the correct mark on the Dipstick when the vehicle is on level ground then trust the dipstick. But only if the check is done on level ground.

The reason the owner overfilled the MH mentioned above is because he checked the Oil on a slope so got a false reading.

Thanks for that info aandncaravan,

John.

Had a similar problem with the Fiat 2.3 engine when in France a few weeks ago, spanner light came on indicating a service due, which it wasn't. Oil indicator was on two bars and halfway up the dipstick reading, so I put a litre in to bring it to max. Spanner light and two bars were on for three weeksJust as we were getting to Calais the spanner light disappeared and five bars appeared. No reason, just decided all was now OK.

Archived