Window blinds

Keith T

When looking at the Burstner (see earlier posting) we noticed the blinds on 'caravan' windows are the type where both the flyscreen and nightblind roll down from the top. We haven't come across these for a long time, and are surprised they use them instead of the more usual flyscreen from the top and nighttime up from the bottom cassette.. Anyone know if these can be fitted 'upside down' so that you can still get some light at the top from the flyscreen, or have we just come across an oddity on a particular new model?

[QUOTE]Keith T - 2006-11-04 4:57 PM When looking at the Burstner (see earlier posting) we noticed the blinds on 'caravan' windows are the type where both the flyscreen and nightblind roll down from the top. We haven't come across these for a long time, and are surprised they use them instead of the more usual flyscreen from the top and nighttime up from the bottom cassette.. Anyone know if these can be fitted 'upside down' so that you can still get some light at the top from the flyscreen, or have we just come across an oddity on a particular new model?[/QUOTE] Hello again Keith, We had this type of blind on a Auto Sleeper Legend we bought in 1996. The blinds were a real bind until we had them turned round. They were great after that. I can't believe they are still fitting that type of blind. Regards Don

We have a Burstner with cab and cabin window blinds as you describe.  The cab blinds provide very good blackout and, in practice, I have not found they add to the (already big) Ducato "A" pillar blind spots.  On ours, the external mirrors are also unobstructed, so the blinds do not impede driver visibility at all.

They do not, and are not intended to, insulate.  The fabric is quite strong, but the blinds do need care in use, as has been said.

Re the cabin window blinds, what you get may depend on which Burstner series you are looking at.  Ours is a coachbuilt from the 2005 standard range, now called Solano.  It has blinds as you describe except the "kitchen" window which is flyscreen top and blackout bottom.  However, this window is a slider, whereas the others are top hinged open out jobs.  You could mount these blinds inverted, but the two co-located rollers make the top frame fairly bulky, whereas the absence of a bottom roller leaves just the two blind bottom stiffeners to contend with when the blinds are shut.  Inverted, although the blinds would still (probably) work, the bulk of the twin roller enclosure at low level would probably become a nuisance.  However, they do seem reasonably practical in use, and do their job adequately.  I suspect they are just one area where Burstner economise on their cheaper models.

What I would say, is that overall build quality on our 'van is very good - and we bought one of their cheapest 'vans.  Since nearly all 'vans have the same heaters, toilets and fridges, and are made much the same way, it is difficult to understand why some are so much more expensive that others, apart from the amount of profit the manufacturer is trying to squeeze from his sale and the efficiency of his operation.  Since Burstner is part of the Hymer group, I assume they benefit from Hymer's buying clout on their input costs, allowing them to market a relative high quality product at a competitive price.

However, if you haven't yet done so, have a look at the European price of the model you're considering.  They still seem around £5,000 dearer for the same spec (except being RHD) in the UK.

Good luck.

Thanks Brian...yes it's the Solano 2007 we are looking at. We're going baxck to the dealer at teh end of the week to have another look, so will check out the blinds again. The overall construction did seem to be Ok, I have to say. We're also going on teh Excel Show, so will be intersted to see what is on show there. Trouble seems to be that 'small' vans (ie sub 6m) just got longer with the new Fiat front....and most are now well over 6m. Our present Rapido 710 is just 5.75m and it's surprising what a difference extra couple of feet make - particular for parking.

You could also look at the Dethleffs Globebus (Fiat) and Globevan (Ford), although my imprassion is that the Burstner build quality is better.  These are about the same length as your Solano choice, but a bit narrower at 2150mm.  However, my current favourite (on paper, and subject to looking one over) is the Hobby van (Ford) which is a shade over 6M long at 6060 long, but only 2070 wide.  All are on the 2007 model base chassis.  Prices all much of a muchness, and all several thousand £ cheaper in LHD Euroland!

Slightly O/Topic but we made ups some blinds / shades / whatever ! from some flyscreen material from Tchibo shop. The flyscreen material is reflective one side (silvered) so reflects heat / sun and also people cannot see in. Black on the inside and you can see out. Just held in place with some velcro tabs. Idea for a quick "silver out" for privacy when having a quick stop. Rgds Have not tried them @ night, but I suspect that you could see in if the lights are on. :$

Archived