Level Tronic anyone?

Guest Frank Wilkinson

Guest Frank Wilkinson

My wife and I have decided on our ideal motorhome and now I need to decide on a few extras. Has anyone had experience of the Level Tronic levelling system? It seems ideal, depending on the price of course and I'll be getting a quote tomorrow. Reading this forum it occurs to me that levelling is more important than I thought, as not only comfort is involved. TV reception, with a roof mounted satellite dish, also requires a level unit, and then there's the fridge of course!

Levelling blocks seem a messy business and one reason for moving from a touring caravan to a motorhome is to eliminate as many setting up problems as we can.

Thanks in advance to anyone who may be able to provide first-hand experience of this, or any other similar systems, if they exist of course!

Level tronic is a fancy automatic self levelling system but it has its drawbacks. 1. Cost, its very expensive (C£2K) while levelling ramps are around £20. 2. Weight, I don't know what the system weighs but I doubt if its going to be light. Anything you add to the 'van will eat into your payload which you will have already gathered (from trawling this forum) is quite often limited on European motorhomes. Let us know what the quote comes to please. D.

Seems an awful lot of money to me. Given that a good percentage of sites are likely to be quite level would you get good value from this type of levelling system? I understand that absorption fridges need to be fairly level for good performance but levelling blocks should sort that. I work on the principle that as long as my feet are lower than my head in bed and my wine glass doesn't slide off the table the van is level enough. I do have a tilt tolerant compressor fridge and no satelite aerial though.

Guest Frank Wilkinson

I'm a bit puzzled by some of the comments. Yes I know that levelling blocks cost £20 but I can buy a tent for fifty pounds but I've chosen to buy a motorhome costing tens of thousands of pounds - now why would anyone do that when they can live in a tent for £50? Perhaps it's because they value convenience and comfort?

Then there's the one about most sites being level. Uum, most sites may be level but many are not and I've witnessed a large number of motorhome users struggling to position themselves accurately on ramps. It's not too bad if you intend staying on a site for several days but if, like me, you intend touring each day then you have to go through the whole procedure each time you return.

As for the weight, I appreciate the comment but I've 750Kg to play with and we intend to travel fairly lightly so the 50 or 60Kg of the levelling system isn't a problem.

I've seen a video of this set-up and I can imagine nothing more convenient than arriving on a site in the pouring rain and being able to level your motorhome perfectly, without even leaving it. It really is a superb concept and you can, I presume, use it to raise a wheel very quickly if you have a puncture. One other advantage as well is that it your motorhome can't be stolen whilst the ramps are down.

If it's as good as the video and promotional material implies there is only one consideration as far as I'm concerned, which is the price, and I'll know that tomorrow and let you all know what I'm quoted.

It must be fairly new as I've trawled the forums and found no one who uses one and I was just hoping that I may find at least one person with practical experience. Who knows, perhaps it's just the price.

Thanks for your comments and I'll report back.

Fair comment Frank, if you consider it a reasonable price (as and when you get the info) then fine. If, as you say, you have 750 KG of real payload to play with then weight will not be an issue, I only made the point because so many European motorhomes have little or no true payload (have you actually weighed your 'van yet when fully loaded?). I look forward to hearing what price you are quoted. D.

My first thoughts where 'thats a good idea' but then I thought 'hold on I don't even carry blooks and have only been caught out at an uncomfatable angle once' . Maybe thats a benifit of going to small sites where the owners are more accomadating.

I have no experience of this system but on our last caravan we had a system called CaraLevel and they did one for Motorhomes too. With this system you just unhitched the caravan turned a key and with computer control it would within two minutes lower all four steadies and level the van totally automatically, it was a realy good system and took away the biggest chore of having a caravan IMO. The cost for a caravan was only £565 which compared to the prices that are being mentioned appears quite good value. Unfortunately I have not as yet been able to track them down on the net and all the literature went with the caravan but I believe they were located at Milton Keynes or there about. Bas. Edit don't know why i couldn't find them before but this is their website now www.caralevel.co.uk/

Guest Frank Wilkinson

Even if the Caralevel is still available, which I doubt,  I suspect that the much heavier duty model rquired for a motorhome would cost a lot more.

Anyway, I said that I'd report and here goes:

Transleisure, the only supplier in the UK quoted me £1900, but what put me off was their own admission that these are very complicated to fit and it could take two days. This gives me no confidence for the future as, if I keep the MH for a few years, they are almost certain to develop problems and a trip of 150 miles to have them fixed is not appealing.

I've just bought a Lunar Telstar from a dealer who was offered them by Lunar on an 'end of season, get some cashflow' deal. The list price of the new one that I was ordering for next year was over £39,000 with air-con and GT pack and I'd been quoted £36,000 from my local dealer. I've paid £30,000 for the same spec for this year's model (there're no significant changes for 2007).

However, it doesn't have rear steadies, which are essential for my wife who feels every movement and to retro-fit them would be £300 as it's more complicated apparently.

However, at a cost of about £250 fitted I have just come across  http://tinyurl.com/ya89lv which I am assured is fine for raising the rear of the MH a few inches to level it from front to rear and I suppose I'll have to use the old fashioned method for lateral levelling.

Has anyone any experience of the MoJac?

Thanks for all your input.

PS I've justt checked the weblink, which doesn't seem to work as it does on other forums that I use, maybe I'm doing something wrong, but if you copy it and paste it into your browser's address it will take you there.

Guest Frank Wilkinson
I was told that there is no change. I looked at the 2007 model at the NEC and the one that I'm buying seems identical. Is there supposed to be a change of some kind to the Renault Master chassis with the 2.5 ltr engine?

The changes to the Master are cosmetic (slightly revised grill) and a revised range of engines. The 3 Ltr is delisted and all the engines are now 2.5 Ltr, though with revised outputs and a new top-of-the range version to replace the 3 Ltr..

Guest Frank Wilkinson
Thanks for the info. I'm encouraged about the Moca jacks and will have these fitted shortly after I collect the van.

Frank I don't want to rain on your parade but these look like modified steadys fitted to the rear of the van rather than levelling jacks. Unless your jacks are mounted directly on the chassis they should not carry the weight of the van. Good luck Docted

Guest Frank Wilkinson

Thanks but I am assured that they are mounted onto the chassis and are suitable for raising the chassis by a modest amount. Either way, they are still cheaper than retro-fitted normal steadies, so I can't lose as I need steadies of some kind.

They're not perfect of course as there's no lateral levelling as they're only fitted at the rear and if the front of the van needs raising then I'm back to sloping blocks, although I suppose I could always park it the other way round so that it's then the rear that needs raising a bit!

Frank

Just a thought, but how useful you find any kind of levelling system will depend a bit on where/when you go. 

You mention sites, so I assume you envisage using mainly campsites.  Whereas many in UK have hardstandings, not so many in Europe do, especially as you go south where they tend to assume the ground will be hard enough, due to lack of rain, for caravans/ tents.  However, many motorhomes do have quite high wheel loads, frequently above 750KG per wheel.  On soft pitches, at these loads, the wheels are prone to sinking. Most jacks that I have seen have fairly small pads, smaller in area than a tyre tread footprint, so will impose very high point loads.  Therefore, unless you feel inclined to grovel around under the vehicle, (as you'll have to if the jacks are chassis mounted), to position spreaders (which you'll then have to carry), there is every chance the jacks will go down further that the 'van goes up!  More so after you've stomped up and down inside the 'van a bit. 

If you're travelling out of season you will be likely to find many sites with grass only pitches on offer, and rather soft at that.

It isn't quite clear whether your ideal motorhome is your first, or your 50th but, if it is the former, might I suggest you hold off a bit on the extras until you find out how it all works out in practice.

I say this because we haven't found too much need for levelling on sites generally around Europe.  If travelling out of season you can usually choose the levellest pitch, and then position so that the effects of any slope are advantageous.  (Most 'vans ride a bit nose, or tail, down when loaded, so a sloping pitch can be used to negate this.) 

Since you've already got steadies, why not kick off with them and adopt the caravanner's trick of using a rechargeable electric drill with an extended socket spanner in the chuck to raise & lower them?  Then add the jacks/levellers if you really find they'd be of use.

Re fridges, the current batch are fairly tilt tolerant, and I haven't experienced any performance problems in our travels.  Most problems seem to relate more to bad initial installation, than to tilt.

Re satellite TV, we don't, but I can't see any reason why the levelling of the 'van would affect your ability to find the satellite.  If the van jiggles around you might loose the signal, but the steadies should fix that.

The only real problem if your van is a bit out of level is drainage.  Our sink never seems to be at the right level to drain to the outlet whatever we do!  Others find the shower tray won't drain, especially with those having only one outlet.  However, as we invariably use site facilities, shower drainage is irrelevant for us.

Hope this helps.

WE use a 'spirit' level, but on the whole find eye or intuition is adequate, and certainly do not worry about 100% in each direction.......as long as the head is slightly higher than feet, and the fridge is within it's tolerance, we're OK. Just have to watch the soup and drinks don't overflow! We do put a piece of solid timber under the front (driving) wheels for good measure in almost all sites, as these tend to sink in after a couple of days anyway.

Clive - give the engineer his eye back please, you shouldn't have nicked it in the first place ... I assume he wasn't looking at the time!(lol) Our van is higher at the back end than the front and we've found that this makes the use of levelling blocks rarely required as most supposedly level pitches, both grass and hard-standing, have some slope on them, we just park the van appropriately. I do have a small spirit level which I use on occasions but normally just standing in the living area of the van can tell me all I need to know. Why not use the van for a while and see how you get on before going to the expense of having a levelling system installed? *-)

Guest Frank Wilkinson
[QUOTE]Brian Kirby - 2006-11-06 6:49 PM

Frank

You mention sites, so I assume you envisage using mainly campsites.  Whereas many in UK have hardstandings, not so many in Europe do, especially as you go south where they tend to assume the ground will be hard enough, due to lack of rain, for caravans/ tents.  However, many motorhomes do have quite high wheel loads, frequently above 750KG per wheel.  On soft pitches, at these loads, the wheels are prone to sinking. Most jacks that I have seen have fairly small pads, smaller in area than a tyre tread footprint, so will impose very high point loads.  Therefore, unless you feel inclined to grovel around under the vehicle, (as you'll have to if the jacks are chassis mounted), to position spreaders (which you'll then have to carry), there is every chance the jacks will go down further that the 'van goes up!  More so after you've stomped up and down inside the 'van a bit. 

If you're travelling out of season you will be likely to find many sites with grass only pitches on offer, and rather soft at that.

It isn't quite clear whether your ideal motorhome is your first, or your 50th but, if it is the former, might I suggest you hold off a bit on the extras until you find out how it all works out in practice.

I say this because we haven't found too much need for levelling on sites generally around Europe.  If travelling out of season you can usually choose the levellest pitch, and then position so that the effects of any slope are advantageous.  (Most 'vans ride a bit nose, or tail, down when loaded, so a sloping pitch can be used to negate this.) 

Since you've already got steadies, why not kick off with them and adopt the caravanner's trick of using a rechargeable electric drill with an extended socket spanner in the chuck to raise & lower them?  Then add the jacks/levellers if you really find they'd be of use.

Re fridges, the current batch are fairly tilt tolerant, and I haven't experienced any performance problems in our travels.  Most problems seem to relate more to bad initial installation, than to tilt.

Re satellite TV, we don't, but I can't see any reason why the levelling of the 'van would affect your ability to find the satellite.  If the van jiggles around you might loose the signal, but the steadies should fix that.

The only real problem if your van is a bit out of level is drainage.  Our sink never seems to be at the right level to drain to the outlet whatever we do!  Others find the shower tray won't drain, especially with those having only one outlet.  However, as we invariably use site facilities, shower drainage is irrelevant for us.

Hope this helps.

[/QUOTE]

Thanks but you must have misread. I haven't got steadies already and these will work out slightly cheaper than retro-fitting steadies, so as I said earlier, I really can't lose by having them fitted. I've caravanned for ages and realise the problem of any kind of steady on soft ground and we always carry a couple of 8" square pieces of wood, which are very easy to slip under the steady or this new type that I'm going to have fitted.

Our main holidays are on the Continent and in my experience a few sites have sloping pitches and sometimes, the level ones are all booked. In fact my favourite site of all time at St Jean de Luz in the Basque Country is right on the beach but hasn't a flat pitch on it!

Archived