Electric underfloor heating in van

mikebeaches

I mentioned on another recent thread (Ducato X290 questions) that we are considering downsizing from a coachbuilt to a PVC. And because we want a new van with a comfortmatic gearbox and a specific layout, it is likely we will need to place a factory order.

Looking through the various options listed for a Rapido / Dreamer van it is possible to specify 230 volt underfloor heating. Obviously need a hook-up to benefit, but that's frequently what we choose.

I haven't come across electric underfloor heating in a van before. Don't know if it's been around for some time and I missed seeing any mention, or if it's something quite new?

So the question is does anybody have electric underfloor heating in their van? If so, is it any good? And I haven't yet been able to discover what the power consumption is - but suspect not a lot.

The cost is £390 inc vat. Now although a significant amount of money, and much more than a £20 fan heater or oil-filled radiator, it does have appeal. Especially as we're downsizing and need to reduce the amount of 'clobber' we carry 'just in case'.

The van will also have a Truma combi boiler as standard to provide blown air space heating and hot water.

Another advantage of the underfloor electric set-up could be 'airing' the van in winter when parked at home, and possibly creating a frost-free zone too?

Any thoughts?

Mike

Hi, we had underfloor heating in our last van which was a Burstner A class. Worked very well and a treat in the morning when getting out of bed. Not sure if it will work well enough to keep out damp throughout your van as it is only very minimal heat, just enough to keep the chill off the floor. Doesnt warm the whole of the inside of the van. We now have a Chausson 610 with deisel heating, much better and more efficient.

Many thanks! We currently have a Chausson with a powerful diesel heater, which is very good, frugal and extremely convenient when travelling abroad. Can be a bit noisy, especially on start up and uses quite a bit of juice from the battery to get it going - but overall, I reckon it's a good system. And we've never had any problems with it in five years to date, touch wood.

The option on the new van we're likely to go for is a Truma combi 6 EH (gas and electric), and probably the electric underfloor heating as a secondary source of warmth - but understanding it is unlikely to heat the whole van - although only being a 6 metre PVC, shouldn't require quite as much output as a large A Class to stay comfortable. But I guess we view it as a bit of a luxury.

Mike

docted - 2015-10-11 1:00 PM

Mike if you are interested in underfloor heating have a look at http://www.screwfix.com/c/heating-plumbing/underfloor-heating/cat830968

Prices look a lot cheaper than your quote

Yes, agreed, thanks!

It's like everything with motorhomes (and no doubt other leisure vehicles and boats too), you pay a premium to have stuff built-in at the construction stage. But in the case of underfloor heating, I think I'd prefer it to be installed at the conversion stage as it's a new van, even though it might be cheaper to self-install.

Again, thanks for the heads-up though!

Mike

Can't speak for underfloor heating but underfloor insulationunder not only the walked on areas but under lockers, over wheel arches and on or under anything else you can slip it in is well worth the effort.

Even a layer of carpet underlay under a carpet works wonders for foot warmth and of course any soft surface is always going to be kinder on yer tootsies than a hard vinyl covering but at the price of taking more effort to keep clean.

Mike

I notice that you’ve also inquired about this on the MotorHomeFacts and MotorHomeFun forums

http://forums.motorhomefacts.com/220-water-sanitation-heating/161202-electric-underfloor-heating-van.html

http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/electric-underfloor-heating-in-van.117287/

There appears to be some confusion in the responses as to the type of underfloor heating being offered for Rapido Group models, but it’s adequately described in the “HEATED FLOOR” section of this Rapido-brochure webpage.

http://www.rapido-motorhome.co.uk/guide_equipements_optionnels.php

It would not be practicable to retrofit this type of system (though 230V/AC-heated carpets have been marketed in the past) as the heating ‘film’ is integrated into the floor itself. Personally, I wouldn’t (and didn’t) choose the option as it’s one more thing to go wrong and, if it does, quite likely to be unfixable. It might be useful if there is nothing on top of the basic vinyl floor (and you walk about on bare feet). I’ve covered the whole of my Rapido’s habitation area’s floor with thick carpet tiles and I’m not sure how these would react to being heated from below, or whether the heat would penetrate them.

A Rapido dealership should be able to tell you the power consumption, but there seems to be nothing on-line on UK or French motorhome forums about the efficiency/desirability of this option when fitted to Rapido Group products. I believe the option was first offered by Rapido Group for the 2015 model-year and (I suspect) not too many buyers will have chosen it so far.

Unless you can have the system demonstrated to you, I think you’ll need to opt for it and take pot-luck that, when you get the vehicle, you’ll decide that the cost was worthwhile.

Very much the conclusion I was coming to regarding 'taking pot luck' Like you Derek, I have been unable to find any information online concerning the power consumption or other specification. And only the information you have read on the three posts concerning its possible effectiveness.

For what it’s worth, there’s absolutely nothing about the electric heated floor in the Rapido handbook for my 2015 640 model, though it was definitely an option for the majority of 2014 model-year Rapidos.

Besides the ‘composite film’ that’s within the floor material itself, there must be additions to the habitation wiring to provide power to the ‘film’ and a switch to select floor-heating - but there’s no mention of any of this in my handbook.

Although the electric floor option will definitely be a cost-option, it would be sensible to check carefully what’s included in the standard UK specification of Rapido Group motorhomes. If the specification includes cab/living-area carpets, paying extra for a heated floor may be less attractive. UK-spec Rapido coachbuilt motorhome have a Truma Combi 6E as standard, but I’m not sure if Vans do. The 6E would probably be overkill in a 6m-long PVC, but I think it would be the only choice if you wanted 230V heating as I believe the 4E is not fitted by Rapido.

Derek Uzzell - 2015-10-13 9:49 AM

For what it’s worth, there’s absolutely nothing about the electric heated floor in the Rapido handbook for my 2015 640 model, though it was definitely an option for the majority of 2014 model-year Rapidos.

Besides the ‘composite film’ that’s within the floor material itself, there must be additions to the habitation wiring to provide power to the ‘film’ and a switch to select floor-heating - but there’s no mention of any of this in my handbook.

Although the electric floor option will definitely be a cost-option, it would be sensible to check carefully what’s included in the standard UK specification of Rapido Group motorhomes. If the specification includes cab/living-area carpets, paying extra for a heated floor may be less attractive. UK-spec Rapido coachbuilt motorhome have a Truma Combi 6E as standard, but I’m not sure if Vans do. The 6E would probably be overkill in a 6m-long PVC, but I think it would be the only choice if you wanted 230V heating as I believe the 4E is not fitted by Rapido.

Thanks Derek.

Well I travelled up to the NEC early this morning to see the inside of a standard (as opposed to the posher 'Select' version) of the Dreamer van, by Rapido. I reckon I was the first member of the public to see inside one in the UK - I believe the show model had been delivered directly from the factory to Birmingham. And it is not due to come back to Highbridge, in any case. Hence the reason for the trip. There were 3 Dreamer vans there, but the other two were the specced up 'Select' models.

Anyway, I was pleased with the interior which would suit us well. However, nobody there could provide any detail about the underfloor heating, including the folk on the Rapido stand (which was separate and in another hall from the Dreamer one). Apparently there were a couple of technical folk from the Rapido factory due at the show later in the day, but I couldn't wait - so I'll probably drop a note to the factory instead.

Rayjsj - 2015-10-13 10:03 AM

If the van is to be used in Europe I would have thought that the low amperage supplied at most sites would restrict any underfloor heatings efficiency. 6 amp doesn't supply a lot of heat.

I know what you are saying about the current available on Continental hook-ups. We stayed at one site this year that only had 2 amps on tap. And we've stayed at a few that have been 3 amps. But 6 amps is probably more usual, as you suggest.

However, we're used to juggling our electric equipment and regularly use a cheap 2- setting fan heater (1kw & 2kw) set on 1 kw, which is fine on a 6 amp connection; provided we don't forget and switch the 1,000 watt kettle on at the same time! Thankfully it hasn't happened yet. But 1,000 watts on the fan heater keeps the van cosy when it's cooler.

Oh and I suspect the underfloor heating will be rated at no more than 500 watts, but I don't know that yet. It may be significantly less?

Derek Uzzell - 2015-10-13 9:49 AM

By the way Derek, I believe this image shows the location of the switch for the electric floor heating - it is positioned directly below the switch for the electric step:

http://storage.highbridgecaravans.co.uk/motorhome/2016-dreamer-d58/new/22103/38px-55eec045b20c1.png

• 2 weeks later...

I now have more information about the 230v underfloor heating offered in the Rapido Dreamer vans. I received a useful email from the company, from which I have extracted the following, in case it is of interest to others:

"... In order to help you as best as we can, here are the several answers to your questions:

Our 230v electric floor heating works with a resistance along the vehicle so you don’t lose any internal height as it’s only a few millimetres wide (It was one of the additional topics you raised during your visit). We have a power rating of 90 watts/ square meter for our system and the D58 uses 1,23 sqm. of it so it’s 110.7 watts. About the way this option is activated, you have a simple on/off switch control but no thermostat. Also note that as a brand focused and customer needs we made it possible to get a carpet on top of the heated floor, due to the common wish of our British customers to walk on this material,

We hope this helps..."

I expected the power to be low and I'm happy with 110.7 watts, with no thermostat to go wrong. I've taken a punt, and specified the option on our new van. It will be interesting to see how it works out in practice.

Mike

Mike

Guest pelmetman

I explored retro fitting electric underfloor heating into Horace, but after further research it became apparent that I would need to fit a low tog carpet and underlay, which mean't that if we weren't on EHU then the floor would be even colder, plus many sites abroad seem to be charging for electric used rather than a including it in the pitch cost :-S .........

So have gone for the best quality underlay instead ;-) ............

When I visited the NEC show I noticed that a 2016 left-hand-drive 640 model on the Rapido stand (on loan from the Rapido factory apparently) had the heated floor option. The top surface of the floor was unchanged and there was nothing to indicate the presence of a heating system except for a switch above the entrance-door, nor (as Mike was told) any obvious reduction in headroom.

I asked a Highbridge Caravan salesman whether he knew anything about the heated-floor system and he said not as, to the best of his knowledge, no UK buyer had ever chosen the option.

Derek Uzzell - 2015-10-28 2:52 PM

When I visited the NEC show I noticed that a 2016 left-hand-drive 640 model on the Rapido stand (on loan from the Rapido factory apparently) had the heated floor option. The top surface of the floor was unchanged and there was nothing to indicate the presence of a heating system except for a switch above the entrance-door, nor (as Mike was told) any obvious reduction in headroom.

I asked a Highbridge Caravan salesman whether he knew anything about the heated-floor system and he said not as, to the best of his knowledge, no UK buyer had ever chosen the option.

Interesting. Apparently, I was the first to order a Rapido Dreamer van from Highbridge; and no doubt the electric floor too. Will report in due course how useful, or otherwise, it is.

Hi,

Just goes to show don't believe everything the salesman says. We have a 2015 881F Rapido with an electric heated floor. (Not purchased from HIghbridge I might add!)

We think it is excellent and very useful. We are off skiing in March so we will really see how effective it is. Really impressed with the Rapido build quality but it is early days yet!

Clanjones - 2015-10-28 9:31 PMHi,

Just goes to show don't believe everything the salesman says. We have a 2015 881F Rapido with an electric heated floor. (Not purchased from HIghbridge I might add!)

We think it is excellent and very useful. We are off skiing in March so we will really see how effective it is. Really impressed with the Rapido build quality but it is early days yet!

Excellent news, thanks! We've had a Rapido previously, and were impressed by the build quality. Hence our choice this time.Good luck with your van.

Clanjones - 2015-10-28 9:31 PMHi,

My fault for not being more specific. I should have said"I asked a Highbridge Caravans salesman whether he knew anything about the heated-floor system and he said not as, to the best of his knowledge, nobody buying a Rapido motorhome from Highbridge Caravans had ever chosen the option.”I have no reason to disbelieve his statement and I would not expect him to know whether motorhome buyers from other Rapido dealerships had specified the heated-floor option.

Archived