New to Motor Caravanning

Paulr

Well here goes Trying to search for a Motor home used, Need a bit of room just 2 people and a dog, budget about £36K would like Hymer or Auto trail ,but open to any suggestions Prefer an engine witha bit of power will be travelling abroad Any help would be appreciated/

Welcome to the madhouse. Choose the motorhome that you really love, you'll know as soon as you step inside it. Remember that the more money you spend the more money you lose, and don't get hung up on engine power. If you chose a van just for it's ability to roar along motorways at 83 mph, you may miss the best bits. These vans are generally quite noisy at speed, they use prodigious amounts of fuel when pushed hard, and reliability is not their strong point.

I could make a case for a middle aged A class, perhaps a Hymer, to try it out for a season or two and find out what really makes it for you, and then look for something else if you want to.

By the way, if you read through the old threads on here, you may reach the conclusion that these newer vans are no more reliable or well thought out than the older ones.

Be lucky

AGD

Welcome Paul. You've come to a great place for advice.

I suggest you start with reading through the OAL's guides on buying a motorhome which will help you refine your needs a little more. At the moment, it'll be like looking for a needle in a haystack. We've all tried that!

https://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/motorhomes/buyers-guide/motorhomes/

Next question will be layout and this might be determined by where you want to sleep.

A-class motorhomes [Hymer call them Integrated] have drop down beds but not everyone likes them. They are space savers though.

https://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/motorhomes/buyers-guide-advice/motorhomes/details/drop-down-bed-motorhome-layouts/9

I had a Hymer 544 with wife and dog like this one [now sold]:

http://www.motorhomes.co.uk/motorhomes-for-sale/hymer/b-class/b-544/1453/

Best way is to think about what you want to do with the motorhome - I notice you said travelling abroad [the continent or the silk road to China!], in what weather [not all models are good in the winter], and any restrictions such as size. Have you got a C1 licence entitlement to drive up to 7500kgs or just the usual 3500kgs? Auto Trails are quite heavy.

If you can get reasonably new, then go for the 150bhp 2.3 engine. The previous 2.8 engine was fine.

Thanks for the information With regard to power, just what to be able to go up hills at a reasonable speed without have to wear the gearbox out. Does the Merc 2.7 Turbo cope adequately, and it will be just normal roads abroad, mainly France and Portugal

Welcome to the forum Paulr. I would be inclined to look for a LHD continental van as LHDs tend to be a bit cheaper. If you want to use your new motorhome all year then I suggest you buy a fully winterised one (Autotrails are not fully winterised) like a Hymer.

£36K is a good price, but be prepared to spend a bit more. For some reason 'that perfect van' is always above budget LOL :-D

Not only make sure it has a full service history, but regular habitation checks as you don't want to buy a damp one.

Have fun looking and ask anything that you need as there is a lot of knowledge on this forum.

I don't thing you need to worry about engine power these days. Our van (Peugeut Boxer 2014) has the 2.2 litre130bhp 4 cylinder Ford puma unit and the torque is awsome, especially now it's loosened up. With a 100kg scooter on the back and fully loaded it powers up hills in top gear at 2000 rpm no bother. The thing to watch is you don't go too fast.

Archived