german tips

rockcar

Mosel (German spelling) and Rhine are nice and the traditional tourist areas.

But if you like to avoid the crowds, try the Altmuhltal, an area of Northern Bavaria, south of Nurnberg. Some lovely Stellplatze and small campsites here. Whilst there Nurnberg itself is worth a visit. There's a large free stellplatz just outside the town, bus stop adjacent and frequent buses into the Nurnberg.

Also the Neckar Valley- whilst Heidelberg is nice, go to the smaller riverside towns. In particular Bad Wimpfen-a lovely walled town.

Germany is extremely underrated as a motorhome destination. Full of Stellplatze. Don't forget to try the Kaffee und Kuchen

There have been a number of posts about the Romantic Road, and an app called "romantic street" that gives more information about travelling to mad King Ludwig's castles, and also a fairytale route to Hamelin and Grimm'sbrothers sites.

We should have gone last year to the Dethleffs' party in Isny, but didn't make it.

Billggski - 2015-10-13 12:16 PM

There have been a number of posts about the Romantic Road, and an app called "romantic street" that gives more information about travelling to mad King Ludwig's castles, and also a fairytale route to Hamelin and Grimm'sbrothers sites.

I have just looked for this app in the App Store and it doesn't exist - can you confirm the name please as I would like to download it on my iPad.

I have just looked for this app in the App Store and it doesn't exist - can you confirm the name please as I would like to download it on my iPad.

Recommend "die romantische strasse von Wurtzburg nach fussen"

Apologise if my German spelling is iffy, but lookup Romantische Strasse on google, or in English Romantic Road.

it is main tourist route between Wurtsburg, and runs via Augsburg down to the border at Fussen and then you can cross into Austria and Innsbruck.

very touristy route, loads of tourist traps to empty your wallet , plenty of Stelplatze for overnight stops, well worth the time and trouble

We entered Germany via luxumberg, and across to romantic road via Neckar valley..a good scenic route also.

enjoy your trip, and take plenty of Euro to help support Angele M... and her new friends !!!!.

Tonyg3nwl

Germany is great ! take the gruff attitude as part of their character.Did the romantic road.down to the castles lots of big trucks who seem a bit put out with us tourist,and with snow but loved it.Don't expect any english spoken in the countryside.October is the best month for the rhine and mosel,when the grapes are harvested.trouble is thats when it gets full of germans! (lol)

As Robin Hood states, it is a big country. We have been right across the country to the eastern borders so could recommend lots of places if you like the same sort of thing as us.

We usually start by selecting one of national parks and the plan around that area.

http://www.germany.travel/en/leisure-and-recreation/natural-landscapes/national-parks/national-parks.html

Contact the German tourist office and they will send you glossy brochures and you can get a good idea of different area. They also sent me a free book of campsites which although a bit sparse in some areas was very good overall.

Just got back from Germany a fews days back.i love history, german food and beer. Started from calais, went to speyer which as the largest collect of transport in german, from trains, ships, motorbikes and space ships, there is a site in the grounds of the museum and its only a 5 min walk to the town.from speyer to Ingolstad, the motorhome site is a short walk from the town and only costs 3 euros including elec hook up.lots of things to see and do in Ingolstad. From there to kumark, free parking and a great big fortress to take in, from there a short hop to colburg and a further fortress with the largest collection of arms and armour in Germany. Then to bamburg for smoked beer and good food, back to speyer for the vets and then aachen for a break before home. Would of taken in a bit more, but the miles of road works slowed us down.michael

We had a great 10 days in Germany this summer. Used the tunnel and stopped off at Hans Sur Lesse in Belgium on the way down then started a tour of the Mosel region starting a little further away at Saarburg and finishing near Koblenz. Excellent time using a mix of campsites and Stelplatz

TBH, I think the best advice is to go to your local library and get a guide book to Germany - or even several - and look for what you think will interest you. Then come back on here with the places you fancy, and see if anyone has any useful motorhoming information to add.

As already stated, it is a large country (although not quite varied as I had expected), with a wide variety of types of scenery, and a lot of historic towns and monuments, so going on other people's recommendations is a bit of a "shotgun" approach.

Hi

Good advice. Here's a useful tip when typing German names, which include accents äöü etc..

The Germans, when faced with an English keyboard, will change "ä" to "ae". Thus Stellplätze = Stellplaetze for the plural spelling with accented "ä". Singular = Stellplatz without accent.

If you want to produce an accent on a UK keyboard, then hold down the "Alt Gr" key and type following codes on the PC number pad:

ä = AltGr + 0228

ö = AltGr + 0246

ü = AltGr + 0252

Full list here - http://symbolcodes.tlt.psu.edu/bylanguage/german.html

A useful trick. It's possible on a MAC too, but you'll need to look up the special key combinations.

To Germans, the accents are very important for both pronunciation and meaning. For example, as a novice German speaker, I invariably confused "schwul" (gay) with "schwül" (inclement/close). They have different pronuciations and there were bellows of laughter when I proclaimed "Isn't the weather very 'homosexual' today!"

Alan

On a PC up to at least Windows7 (no experience of later versions), search for "Character map" in the Windows program files. The program file is "charmep.exe". Try doing a search within the Windows directory for charmap. Then find the icon for the .exe file, left click it and hold, and drag it to the taskbar. Then, when you want an accented character in any windows based program, click on the Character Map taskbar icon, and Character Map will open. Select the font and character you want to use, click "copy", switch back to the program into which you want the character, and at the point you wish to place it, click "paste". Done! :-)

rupert123 - 2015-10-19 11:19 AM

So many times a thread like this get started and there is no further input from the person who started it. No feedback on the answers given, not a word of thanks to the people who have tried to help, do they not bother to look or are they plain rude?

I agree though you'd be amazed at the number of people who just cant be a*sed to search Google themselves and expect others to do it for them. Not only that they expect folk to be mind readers too. OP gives no indication of specific preferences and interests. I've toured extensively throughout Germany over years but why bother when a 'newbie' with just 6 posts to their name posts a two line sentence with scant detail. *-)

Archived