Spain and Portugal

tugga

I am currently planning a trip to Spain and Portugal for next Spring and was wondering if anyone has any tips. We are taking our electric bikes (yes mine is a twist grip one from AS Bikes) so not sure if I need to wear a helmet.

We are thinking of taking in the Northern coastline and dropping into Portugal from the top (?North). I am planning our first night at the aire at Carberceno as its close to the Santander ferry. Is there an alternative, in case its full. Is there somewhere that is worth going out of our way to see?

Not a clue about the Spanish Language so would like a decent phrase book. Just awaiting delivery of our Michelin Road Atlas so that will hopefully help the planning along.

Any advice is gratefully received.

It can be pretty cold and wet in spring on the Spanish northern coast, ditto Portugal

I've been through snow up there in May!

Good idea to work on your Spanish too, English is spoken less out in the northern wilds, but a bit more in the cities

Don't think you'll have a problem on aires in spring in the north, you'll probably be on your own

Have fun, I go there often and have some great basque friends

The new law regarding cyclists and helmets is as follows........................."Adults older than 16 must wear a helmet outside of city centres but are exempt during periods of excessive heat, on steep hills or if they are professional cyclists."

I would suggest you wear one all the time especially as electric bike are faster in general them normal pedal ones .

As mentioned the aire at Carberceno will have lots of spaces ,its quiet large so shouldnt worry about spaces.

Lots of Aires along the green coast but dont expect them all to be like French ones, I assume you have the aires books most are in there .

Have a great trip its a lovely coast to trip along .

Brian K

The law in Spain is quite specific. Any electric bike that can be 'self propelled; without using the pedals is classed as a moped type vehicle therefore and as such you must wear a helmet and have appropriate insurance as well as the certificate of conformity. Many people of course ignore all this without issue but there are reports of fines being imposed.

Ironically all bikes made in the UK after January 1 2016 will not be able to be self propelled and therefore will be legal in Spain, and also all EU countries. Bikes made before this date will be legal in the Uk but big doubts exist elsewhere. See website below

You must therefore make your own choice in the matter.

http://www.asbikes.co.uk/

Strictly speaking there are only a few official spaces at the Cabarceno Aire but hardly anyone uses them. Most park alongside the adjacent lake which is flatter, larger and better. It's a great place to stay and there will be plenty of room.

Archived