ACSI CampingCard 2007

enodreven

Hi, I have just spoken to the UK representatives for the ACSI CampingCard 2007 and ordered mine ? Apparently it should be available in the first part of December and the price is £7.75 for 2007 I can honestly say that it really saved us money last year far far in excess of its cost, so i would recommend it to everyone, and i don't work for them The number i rang was 0700 636 0202 Hope this helps Brian

Having had a card since the start of the scheme it is my experience that the english version is not available until late January unless, of course, there has been a change this year. Given that all campsites are inspected annually and goes on until October or so the publishing schedule is tight. The 2007 details will be on the website from approx. December so you can check whether it's good for you. The website states that the card is available from mid-December but I suspect that is for the Dutch, German & French language. Rest assured yours will arrive by the end of Jan. Cheers

Hi, I can only tell you what the representatives told me and it was also confirmed by the Dutch Parent company that they would/should be available by early to mid December, but you could be right ? The main thing is that I decided to order as early as possible because last year I know that there were a number of people that were still waiting well into the season albeit that could have been due to them ordering late, but what ever you do I can personally state that we mainly travel outside of the main holiday period and we certainly recovered our initial costs many times over There web site is www.campingcard.co.uk The link to order on the web site doesn't appear to be working that's why i used the telephone and i used the Visa card over the phone ? Hope that helps

Hi - don't know this one? Just what does it give you, and does it double up for the more usual 'Camping Carnet' which I think last year cost £4.50 from the Caravan Club. Does this ACSI one give discounts and if so does it compare with teh /Camping Cheque' system? Any info will help!Thanks

Hi, Sorry to repeat, but to clarify things and try to remove any confusion for people who don't know what we are talking about ?? The ACSI CampingCard can be used to obtain discounts on campsite fees out of the main holiday season, Last years 2006 CampingCard covered 950 campsite in 17 European countries, and I don't remember seeing any in the UK but it may be worth checking for 2007 ?? The ACSI CAMPINGCARD is different from the ACSI books CD/DVD etc. while I believe they are all from the same company ACSI they are very very different ? so make sure you know what you want before you purchase ?? LIDL's were selling an ACSI book recently ?? THAT was NOT a CAMPINGCARD BOOK ? The ASCI CAMPINGCARD allows you a discount at a number of camping sites which are approved by ACSI the discounts are usually only available outside of the main season (July/August) so its hardly worth purchasing if you can only travel during the main holiday periods. But if you are lucky enough to be able to travel outside of these period and mainly in Europe then I would suggest the ASCI CampingCard is a must, We recovered the cost of the card last year after we had stayed at about 2 sites ? some you could recover the cost in one night. In 2006 The ACSI CAMPINGCARD was a half A4 sized book with several hundred campsite listings in most of the European countries inside the cover was a small perforated Card similar in size to a credit card which you remove and enter your details and this is what gets you the discounts so you need to keep it safe ? the campsite list show you the dates when the discounts are applicable ? Someone has mentioned that think the CAMPINGCARDS printed in English may not be available until sometime in 2007, while this may be correct. I can only tell you what the UK representatives told me and it was also confirmed by the Dutch Parent company that they would/should be available by early to mid December. The main thing is that I decided to order as early as possible because last year I know that there were a number of people that were still waiting well into the season, albeit that could have been due to them ordering late. But what ever you do I can personally state that we mainly travel outside of the main holiday period and we certainly recovered our initial costs many times over There web site is www.campingcard.co.uk The link to order on the web site doesn't appear to be working that's why i used the telephone and using the UK number I was able to use my Visa. I Have nothing to do with this company Hope that helps Brian

Hi, Keith Question (1) I'm not sure of what you mean by "Camping Carnet" but if you mean the Camping Card International (CCI Card) that you can obtain from the CC and a few other places then no the ACSI CampingCard dosen't replace it. Question (2) I have never used Camping Cheques, so I'm not sure of the difference but from what i can gather you have to pay up-front for the Camping Cheques to obtain your discount and you don't with the ACSI CampingCard albeit you can only use the CampinCard off-season and you do have to pay for the card itself ? and I would think that they could both use different camp sites ? so I certainly wouldn't compare them and at £7.75 for the Campingcard i would use both as I said before just one or two nights and you can recover your cost ? Hope that helps [QUOTE]Keith T - 2006-11-07 11:56 AM Hi - don't know this one? Just what does it give you, and does it double up for the more usual 'Camping Carnet' which I think last year cost £4.50 from the Caravan Club. Does this ACSI one give discounts and if so does it compare with teh /Camping Cheque' system? Any info will help!Thanks[/QUOTE]

Hi Folks, The ACSI card is also available from The Caravan Club for £4.50 but you need to book a ferry or the tunnel with them. You can also get the Castels Privilege Card for £7.10. This offers out of season discounts on the Castels sites. I think these sites are all in France and are top end of the range. We went to two last year in Brittany at a cost of 14 &16 Euro per night. I know it seems a lot but as I have said, these sites have very good facilities. John.

Hi, John Thats great info always open for saving money ? I think the CC price of £4.50 is for the 2006 Campingcard, do you get the Castels Card from the CC as well and do you know how many sites are covered by the Castels card Thanks Brian [QUOTE]John H - 2006-11-07 1:32 PM Hi Folks, The ACSI card is also available from The Caravan Club for £4.50 but you need to book a ferry or the tunnel with them. You can also get the Castels Privilege Card for £7.10. This offers out of season discounts on the Castels sites. I think these sites are all in France and are top end of the range. We went to two last year in Brittany at a cost of 14 &16 Euro per night. I know it seems a lot but as I have said, these sites have very good facilities. John.[/QUOTE]

Hi Brian, I'm not sure if the price of £4.50 for the ACSI card is 2007. It's currently on their website at this price but I suppose they may inrease it. The Castels card is available from the CC. I think there are 47 sites to choose from. You will find details at http://www.les-castels.com/ Regards, John

Hi Endroven - Yes the 'carnet' the CCI card via the Caravan Club, which is useful when checking in abroad as contains all the personal details necessary,and in many cases is left at Camping reception, where otherwise they may wish to retain the passport, pending payment when you leave. We rarely book for a given number of days when arriving, as don't know our movements in advance, so pay when we leave - unlike the UK Caravan CLub sites where you have to pay up-front - indeed nowadays almost always have to book in advance as well, and then arrange a refund if you shorten your stay. Camping Cheques are through a marketing company - I think there's also another one on the same principal. You 'buy' the book listing all site details, and again they are generally 'out of season', and sometimes less suitable for Camping cars,as thyey can be remote. We bought some in 2005, though which were valid until Dec 2006, so you do have a'2 year' life! There are though some very good savings avaibale - if you are in the right place at the right time! Ther seems to be somewhat of a proliferation of 'marketing' groups now, although occasionally they do overlap, but the ACSI one does sound interesting.

Hi. Keith Thanks for the explanation about the camping cheques etc. as you quiet rightly pointed out the use of the CCI card I think you are right and its a must have item in my opinion when traveling as you don't normally have to hand over your passport, Also we have received discounts on the site fees on a number of occasions usually 5/10 %. So I would suggest again to everyone that hasn't got one its certainly worth obtaining and as mentioned we feel we have recovered the cost from the discounts received ?albeit these can't be controled ??. I also think it provides you with a certain level of insurance ?? but I'm not quiet sure how it actually works?? do you know any more about the insurance side of it Keith ? Brian [QUOTE]Keith T - 2006-11-07 2:04 PM Hi Endroven - Yes the 'carnet' the CCI card via the Caravan Club, which is useful when checking in abroad as contains all the personal details necessary,and in many cases is left at Camping reception, where otherwise they may wish to retain the passport, pending payment when you leave. We rarely book for a given number of days when arriving, as don't know our movements in advance, so pay when we leave - unlike the UK Caravan CLub sites where you have to pay up-front - indeed nowadays almost always have to book in advance as well, and then arrange a refund if you shorten your stay. Camping Cheques are through a marketing company - I think there's also another one on the same principal. You 'buy' the book listing all site details, and again they are generally 'out of season', and sometimes less suitable for Camping cars,as thyey can be remote. We bought some in 2005, though which were valid until Dec 2006, so you do have a'2 year' life! There are though some very good savings avaibale - if you are in the right place at the right time! Ther seems to be somewhat of a proliferation of 'marketing' groups now, although occasionally they do overlap, but the ACSI one does sound interesting.[/QUOTE]

We have used the ACSI discount camping card for the last two years and found it to be excellent value. This year we stayed at the three sites they list in Slovenia paying 10 EUR including hookup in June which were all a reasonable standard and also at sites in Germany, Italy, Austria and France paying up to 14Eur where other campers were paying up to 20Eur a night. We saw the card and book on sale at a couple of UK Caravan dealers which would save the postage costs. It's not much publicised in the UK but we prefer it to Camping Cheques as you don't pay up front. Steve

We use both ACSI and CCI, and find them excellent value although ACSI seems to have gone up a bit from last year [ie 2006]. I seem to remember getting my 2006 card about last December, and it was on special offer if you ordered before 1.1.06. Haven't noticed that this is available this time tho' B-)

ACSI also produce a CD of sites, the 2006 one listed around 9,500.  This includes those already in the book, which subscribe to the discount scheme, and around another 8,500 which don't subscribe, but are ACSI "inspected".  If you travel with a laptop you may find it useful in conjunction with, say, the Caravan Europe guides.  Was £8.75 from the same source as the book/card.  Standard generally seems fair, and the site info is quite detailed, including faclities for disabled persons, shops, restaurant etc. 

The CD also includes a slightly "clunky" route planner, into which you can put waymarks of your own and navigate to, or between, any of the sites.  Detail level on roads is good and the mapping quite sharp and clear.  If you can work MS Autoroute, you'll soon get the hang of it.

The organisation is Dutch, so the priorities are biased towards Dutch holiday site preferences.

The organisation is Dutch, so the priorities are biased towards Dutch holiday site preferences. The book has campsites in every european country not just Holland and the card is very usefull and worth buying...aido :-D

Hi, Just to bring it back on topic the CD?DVD is not the same as the CampingCard even though it lists the sites which offer discount YOU WON'T get any disscount unless you have purchased the CampingCard, so please dont forget, as I know a number of people who have been caught out over this, Brian

[QUOTE]aido - 2006-11-09 8:56 PM The organisation is Dutch, so the priorities are biased towards Dutch holiday site preferences. The book has campsites in every european country not just Holland and the card is very usefull and worth buying...aido :-D[/QUOTE]

OK.  I'll have another go!  What I mean by the above is that the sites listed tend to be those that Dutch people, in general, seem to prefer.  That is to say fairly large holiday sites with a lot of laid on entertainment in season.  Also, being a Dutch organisation, the guide is widely used by the Dutch.  Therefore, these sites can resemble Dutch "colonies" at times and, like a lot of the European tribes, when en-masse, the Dutch are not always that congenial.

I suppose I shall now be accused of being an anti-Dutch chauvinist.  Well' I aint!  However, when one or other of the Euro tribes dominates any site numerically, the sights and sounds that prevail cease to reflect the host country. 

It's a bit like the "English Pub" and "Tea like Mother makes" signs that crop up in places favoured by the Brits.  Forget Spain or France: you may as well be in Skeggy! 

So with some of the ACSI sites.  That has been my experience, and that is my point.  I don't visit France etc to end up in downtown Rotterdam!

Brian I know what you mean, we used the ACSI book etc in 2005 and found a lot of Dutch were on the campsites we used, perhaps they just like good value camping?! They do tend to turn into Dutch colonies though, as you say, and they do keep to their countrymen/women for nattering etc, but don't we all??? :-)

• 1 month later...
Keith if you check out the camping card website, see my previous post on this, you will find full details of all campsites, available dates etc which are contained within 2007 camping card scheme. The card comes complete with a printed book/directory, several hundred pages, detailing same info as on website. If you go to the ACSI shop you will see details of this. You can then go to http://www.campingcheque.com/ to check them out. You then pays ya money and takes ya choice. ;-)

Hi, The main difference is that the camping cheques have to be purchased before you travel and the campingcard does not (albeit you do have to pay the £6.50 + pp) [QUOTE]Keith T - 2007-01-04 2:45 PM Hi, the 2007 'Card' seems to cost £6.50 plus postage - does this include the printed guide/list of sites as well. It seems quite reasonable, if so, but how does this compare in availability of sites to the Camping-Cheque system?[/QUOTE]

Archived