Peugeot/Citron/Ford Auto?

Colin Leake

They must be suffering from the none availability of an auto not only in the motorhome market but in the van hire market as well where some companies prefer autos to guard against driver abuse of the clutch and gearbox. Given that the engine is a joint development built in Dagenham which is also used in some Ford cars with their excellent twin clutch gear box one has to wonder why it not yet available. I've driven this automatic in one of my daughter in laws SMax and it's brilliant, streets ahead of the Fait Comfortamatic.

Come on lads let's have get on with it!

I must admit to being completely puzzled why the brands you've highlighted do not offer any sort of automatic or semi-automatic gearbox option on their vans - seems strange to me.

As far as I know, the only MH base vehicles which do offer an auto box are Fiat, Renault, Mercedes and VW?

Mike

AFAIK Fiat offered to share developement on auto with Pug and citroen on the x2/50, they turned it down so Fiat basicaly said stuff you we will be the only ones to have it, and I don't blame them.

p.s. I've driven the Tranny electronic auto when it first came out (2000?) and found it quite good, but apparently it was not very reliable so was dropped.

breakaleg - 2015-10-25 12:13 PM

I have had auto clutch fitted recently on my new x290 based Elddis only semi automatic though it saves you the use of the clutch pedal a snip at £1600.00 fitted

Pete

Well done for getting the auto clutch on your new Elddis. I thought about it for our van we've just traded in.

But if either Elddis used the Fiat base, or Peugeot offered the comfortmatic, you could have had the full semi-automatic gearbox for the same or slightly less money. The comfortmatic is a £1,540 option on the PVC I've just ordered.

In any case, hope the auto clutch works out well for you.

Mike

I have driven a Ford Fiesta with the twin clutch auto box and it was superb, highly responsive and as smooth as silk.

Its only a matter of time before the fleet managers demand it for LCV as it offers lower operating costs

Ford and BMW use a Gertrag box while Fiat and VW are working with Borg Warner.

See

http://www.getrag.com/media/media/press/english/2012_2/2012_02_01_presskit_6dct450/Press_information_6DCT450.pdf

and http://wardsauto.com/ar/borgwarner_refining_technology

lennyhb - 2015-10-25 3:52 PM

I don't see the problem, as 70% of Motorhomes built in Europe are on a Fiat base and quite a few of the rest are on a Merc base, they both offer autos.

The Merc box is brilliant but the rear drive chassis wallows all over the place even with their " Wind assist".

Try a drive with the Fait Comfortamatic automated manual and you'll find out why there is a need for a good automatic. Even those who defend the Comfortamatic always finish up with a 'but'!

Guest pelmetman

I've got a cracking automatic in my Ford B-) ............

Lovely and smooth and with kick down it goes like a pocket rocket :D ..........

There again they could make things like that 40 years ago ;-) ............

Progress eh? (lol) ...........

Archived