Duvalay sleeping bags

mrsc

Don't be surprised if the thread becomes one of the sleeping bags vs the duvet brigade debates.

Not had a duvalay but seen them very often at motorhome and given them the once over numerous times. My missus says they are well made but the idea is simple and can be replicated by anyone with time and a decent sewing machine. Most of the forum comments I've read from owners have been very positive. They do what they are designed to do. I'd certainly have them if I was in the sleeping bag brigade. Wife and I prefer duvets.

I was very anti them for years, couldn't see the point or justify the cost. As Brock said, anyone with sewing machine skills could replicate one. But I jumped in and bought one off Ebay, came with 4cm memory foam base and both a 4.5tog and a 10.5tog duvet. Apart from it being bulky when rolled up, I think it's great. So this season, I bought a used pair off Ebay so the wife could have one, she also was very dubious about them. She also likes it now, although the pair I bought only had the 2.5cm base and only the 4.5tog duvets. The 4.5 duvets have been fine all summer, I'll swop to the 10.5 duvet when we go away during the winter. As I suffer with a bad back, I'll keep the 4cm base and she'll have the 2.5 one. So as it stands, I have a surplus one, 2.5cm base with 4.5tog duvet in a cream cover. Don't know where you are located but if you are interested send me a message.

Hi mrsc,

On recently changing back to a caravan with single beds to make from a motorhome with fixed bed,

my wife decided we should have the Duvalay system in the new van. I wasn't too sure but she assured me it would help with the setting up and putting away of the bedding. Anyway ,we bought the Duvalay although I do think they are very expensive, I believe ours were not far short of £500 incl spare covers etc.and I must say I think it is great. I suffer from mobility problems and permanent pain but find the bed very comfortable. As everything zips in an outer cover I also find the bedding stays together better. The initial bulkiness of the bedding does reduce a bit with use so packing away becomes easier.

By the way ,the pillows are really snug.

good luck whichever way you go

derek

Duvalays are expensive but then again well designed and made products often are.

As a cross between a duvet and a sleeping bay they work very well indeed for us and have done for the last 7 years with still no real sign of any wear apart from a bit of colour fading.

Many people like 'em, many don't, some perhaps simply because they can't justify the cost?

The only weak point I have heard of is the zips but we are not heavy handed and we make sure that the edges are lined up squarely before trying to zip up so ours are still fine.

Yes, have owned 2 for 3 years now, along with 2 sets of covers, we use ordinary single duvets in them, but of course with the Duvalay supplied memory foam bases, very warm even over Christmas, the covers are easily washed while we are away for extended periods. Well worth the cost.We have two single beds.Agree with Rich about the zips ,they are a bit flimsy,could do with stronger zips.

Same ere i think they are very good we have two singles and i find them very comfortable i have fixed beds now but when i had to make the beds up before i just rolled up the duvalays and fastened them with the giant elastic bands :- simples well worth the expense :)

We found the memory foam a bit thick for easy storage when rolled up so we replaced it with a thinner memory foam mattress topper (bought a 5' one and cut it to fit both) and whilst they are easier to handle and store we have not noticed any less comfort, but our bed/seats are not overly hard in the first place.

We also have a spare set of covers and pillow cases (double pillow cases for better perspiration absorbance! (8 in total!!)) for hot weather or long trips but removing and fitting the covers can be fun in a small van, so can be washing them and getting them dry, so we tend to bring 'em all home dirty!!

We have a Vantage Neo PVC where the rear lounge makes up into two singles or one large double. We wanted bedding that would work in either configuration and so went for two sets of single Duvalay toppers inside zipped fitted sheet covers and two single duvets. We did think about the Duvalay sleeping bag but preferred the separate duvet arrangement. The Duvalays are just the best thing ever. Just roll them out, throw over the duvets and beds made in two minutes. Takes a few seconds longer to roll up tightly but stil so easy and they will compress down a fair bit when stored under the seat. Much, much easier than having to fit sheets. The fitted sheets are a bit of a faff to fit after washing but we do this in the house and it is worth it for the comfort of the Duvalay and ease of use in the van. Our number one item in the van without a doubt.

Most people that have them probably know this, but for the benefit of potential buyers who may not, you can turn Duvalays inside out so that the unused side becomes the used side and this not only extends the usable nights it also allows one bag to be turned so that when used on a double bed one has either a little more access to one's partner - or even less access if used back to back!

It also makes them more flexible when used on a single bed depending on which side you like the gap to open!

Putting the clean Duvalay covers on while we are away in the van, is guaranteed to get me swearing, akin to getting dressed in a telephone box (don't know how Superman did it). My missus takes the dogs for a walk to keep out of my way, while I'm changing the covers.

Thanks Rich, yes we do that too, mine becomes hers, (inside out) and hers becomes mine, makes them last a bit longer, with two sets of covers we have been away for 3 Months, washing spare covers and reversing. Try doing that with ordinary sleeping bags, liners or not !!!!

We bought Duvalays in 2012 and love the convenience of them in a van which does not have a fixed bed. It takes under a minute to roll out the duvalay and that is the bed made. We store them on the back seats when on the move and in the cab (front seats don't rotate) when on site. We bought the thinnest grade of memory foam which we find perfectly adequate and 5 tog the lightest duvet. This is fine for summer but in winter you can substitute your own duvet 12-15 tog for colder weather. Thicker mattress/bigger duvet will have storage implications

Yes they are not cheap and putting the duvet and mattress back into ints cover is a faff and putting the mattress into its cover is even worse. These downsides however are small for the overall convenience.

At the end of the year Duvalay sometimes have offers.

Archived