Hymer Lighting

Jack

Can anyone help with two issues please:

First one is that the Daytime running light bulb needs replacing. The Hymer manual states that these bulbs are changed from the engine compartment. I can't see that there is enough room to access the rear of the unit to turn the lamp holder. If I have got this wrong then I will persevere but is taking the whole unit out the only other option? Also is it worthwhile putting a lower wattage bulb in as a replacement?

The second relates to the location of the Marker lights fuse. One of the lights was not working so dismantled the holder and and replaced with a new bulb. It did not seem a good fit and when trying to make a good contact all the other marker light went off ?fuse blown.

Many thanks,

Jack.

Hi Jack, with regards to the DRL's changing the bulb, either you have a very long arm or know someone who has one, the only other option i know is to take the front grill off and it will give you more room to get at the back of the light assembly. Failing that, when you take the grill off you can undo the 3 screws holding the light assembly, remove the assembly, change the bulbs and put it all back together again. If I was you I would change both the DRL bulbs when you are at it if you have to resort to taking the front off.

Regarding the fuse of the marker lights, sorry have not got my manual at the moment so cannot help you on that.

Good luck

Thanks for the reply. I should have mentioned the model. as I think you may be referring to an different one?

The van is 2007 554SL and has the cluster of lights contained within one unite (the one members have made comment about the potential for shattering and £1500 replacement!) which does concentrate the mind a little, when thinking that the unite may need to come out.

Once again thanks for the reply,

Jack

If you can't physically get at the rear of the unit to replace the lamp, then the unit will have to be removed. My guess is that this will in any case be quicker and easier than trying to work in a cramped space with very limited vision, and periodically dropping things. AFAIK, it is not acceptable to reduce the DRL wattage. Make sure you get an exact match for the bulb, or you may have problems similar to that encountered with the marker.

Sorry, I don't know where that fuse will be either. I'm assuming a recent van as it has DRLs, so doesn't the Fiat (Mercedes?) handbook say where it is located?

Hymer Club International, an enthusiasts group, have a comment on

http://www.hymerclub.co.uk/hcitips.htm#hella

saying "On B Class vans, 2007 onwards, the running lights have a 21 watt bulb fitted. If you feel the head light after 1 hour running, you will see that the glass is very hot, and is a possible cause for this type of headlight to shatter. I replaced the bulb with a 12 watt bulb."

Might be worth checking this out with HCI or Hymer to see of the advice is valid. On my 2013 Hymer, the DLRs are still 21w. If you do change the wattage, you will have to do both sides. Personally, I stick to the OEM unless there has been a change approved by the manufacturer.

Took me a day to replace the headlight bulbs on my 05 plated Hymer and 4 hours to replace the headlight bulbs on my 2000 Arto. It's a PIA. My son has to remove the front bumper on his car to do his!

Can't help on the fuses.

• 2 weeks later...
Update: Success, both DLR bulbs replaced without too much difficulty, once you have mastered the 'knack'. If it is of any help to others I found sliding your arm through and between the end of the engine bay aperture and the vertical mettle bar which has the bonnet gas strut attached, gave me plenty of room to reach and turn the bulb holder.

Archived