cooking equipment etc

Lizzie

Hi

We got a set of pans, sieve and pots made of coated aluminium which fit together like a russian doll. Lightweight and very space economic. They weren't cheap but are easy to clean and practical.

They were from a Swiss chandler on Lake Constance, but I'm sure something similar must be available in the UK. Check out the boat outfitters too!

Alan

Guest Peter James

Depends what storage space you have got Lizzie. Camping equipment is just smaller and lighter - not better. If you have got space for them you are better off with normal domestic housewares.

But I prefer Stainless steel instead of crockery so no breakages - Poundland do good Stainless Steel Dinner Plates. Stainless steel mug brews better tea because its thinner, the water stays hotter.

Len Salisbury - 2015-10-31 9:31 PM

Colin Leake - 2015-10-31 7:45 PM

If you happen to have a microwave fitted a plastic microwave saucepan is will worth having. My wife makes great use of hers.

where's your set?

I wonder if you could explain your comment. I keep looking at it but so far I simply don't get it.

Colin Leake - 2015-10-31 7:45 PM

If you happen to have a microwave fitted a plastic microwave saucepan is will worth having. My wife makes great use of hers.

We find that a chocolate kettle works as well as a plastic saucepan on gas - so unless you are a 100% slave to the umbilical cord - sorry Colin but most of us will need metal pans too!

This thread quite confusing.

To Colin Leake, I think Len was just pointing out that in the modern world, cooking equipment should be seen as communal, as opposed to just "hers". Unless you have your own too.

To Tracker, I don't think Colin Leake was suggesting he ONLY took a plastic saucepan.

But mainly to self, who initially thought that Colin (not Leake), 3rd post, had somehow rumbled that Lizzie (the OP, keep up now) was in fact JudgeMental in different guise. I finally realised that Judge is a make of saucepan. :$ *-)

candapack - 2015-11-01 5:10 PM

But mainly to self, who initially thought that Colin (not Leake), 3rd post, had somehow rumbled that Lizzie (the OP, keep up now) was in fact JudgeMental in different guise. I finally realised that Judge is a make of saucepan. :$ *-)

Eddie is on some other forums, one of which I also post on.

It really depends on what you are cooking on Lizzie, if you have an oven it is handy to have something with metal handles that can be used both on the hob and in the oven, if you have a microwave I tend to buy things that cook in their own containers, apart from that I too have a plastic pan , also I use storage containers that can be used for duel purpose.

Whatever think weight/space saving and can it be duel purpose my O.H wouldn't allow steel heavy equipment! keep the good stuff for home.

We dont have an oven so I did talk him in to a small pressure cooker for when we are off grid (lol) but to be honest Ive only used it for cooking a weeks supply of chicken breasts to freeze for the dogs. I might use it if we ever go away in the Winter I suppose. ;-)

Thank you for the tips. I think we will use the stuff we currently have for camping and then see how we go. The temptation has been to rush out and buy new kit in our excitement at finally getting a motorhome but but until we have used it a bit, we don't really know. I appreciate what's been said about weight issues and our old camping stuff is just cheapish saucepans and frying pans which have the advantage of being lightweight - however they are rather old now! We do have an oven but no microwave.

Weight is clearly a consideration but, otherwise, I’d recommend not skimping. When I started, some time ago, we tended to use cast-offs from the household as they became displaced by newer and better items there. Now, I recommend getting what fits the purpose best.

When away, you are on holiday and want to relax. You don’t want the added frustration of trying to cut with a blunt knife, fry with a stick pan (that has lost its ‘non-‘), or get by with something that doesn’t match the décor.

You are right not to rush, especially as you have the equipment to get by with. In the meantime, you can determine requirements without any pressure. Avoid Le Creuset but otherwise get the best quality pan you can justify.

For us the weight of a couple of saucepans and a frying pan is not an issue - even if we chose to take cast iron pans over aluminium the weight difference of a few kilos is neither here nor there in the grand scheme of things and for us it is far better to have decent quality easy to use and easy to clean pans as it is not like being at home where cleaning time and ease and water use are far less of an issue.

We use a three pan steamer - well the bottom one boils and the top two steam - but only because it came as a threesome. We also have a double skillet but one would be enough for us. It does have detachable handles. It depends on what sort of food you intend eating and how much storage space you have.

We stack ours in bags made from tea towels. They've lasted over 20 years.

Brock - 2015-11-01 11:22 PM

We use a three pan steamer - well the bottom one boils and the top two steam - but only because it came as a threesome. We also have a double skillet but one would be enough for us. It does have detachable handles. It depends on what sort of food you intend eating and how much storage space you have.

We stack ours in bags made from tea towels. They've lasted over 20 years.

Likewise I go for a steamer with two handles, makes easy storage. Plus a fry pan. and a small mlk saucepan. Steamer very useful as saves on fuel , also useful for heating tins (B Beans etc) if you don't have a microwave, which I don't have, and poaching in. Wilkinson are good for reasonable priced pans.

PJay

The co-driver likes to cook and I like to eat her great meals. We use two sizes of Circulon no stick fry pans plus a small non stick for a morning egg. The vegies are steamed in a two pot steamer S/Steel. All meat cooked on the Weber Baby Q outside (no bad smells inside). We also have a big pot to cook the corned silverside or pickled pork. Basically it is a scaled down version of home. Good tools helps to obtain a good result. There has been no consideration given to the weight as the difference between light and heavy is minimal (as Tracker identified).Cheers Gary.

Archived