Autotrail Carpets.

Ninian

Hi, I bought a brand new Autotrail Dakota and the internal beige carpet has gone blotchy in places for no apparant reason. The dealer and Autotrail are refusing to replace them under warranty. Has anyone else had a similar problem and how was it resolved. Thanks.

Is the carpet included/excluded within the warranty? When did you buy the van?

However, if you are satisfied that the carpet is at fault, you should complain to the dealer that it is not of suitable quality, and that you want him to replace it. Forget the warranty, it is the seller (dealer) who is legally liable for faults in goods he has sold. Talk to Trading Standards or Citizens Advice for further guidance. If you look on the Citizen's Advice website there is a lot of general advice and guidance. If you comb your house, contents and car/van insurances, you may find one includes free legal advice if required. Many do.

Hi Brian, Yeah I bought the van new late 2014 and it's been used twice basically. Once for a weekend shortly after we bought it and for our annual holiday this year Apr to Aug. It has been with the dealer now for three weeks getting other faults repaired. Hopefully get it back this week.

Thanks.

My AT Tracker FB has the beige carpets. After 10 months & 22,000klms of often dirty ,dusty outback overnight stops we have not had any patchy colour problems. Generally I find that spots of water from washing up tend to cause dirty marks. My solution is to give the carpets sections a good vacuum then spray with automotive aerosol carpet shampoo. This has worked fine so far. I am considering a DIY carpet shampoo machine to make the task less labour intensive. I am prepared to accept a little inconvenience as the light coloured carpet helps to keep the interior looking bright. The carpet in the washroom was removed before the first journey and will stay that way until we sell the MH.

Cheers,Gary. 

Guest pelmetman
Ninian - 2015-11-02 9:22 PM

Hi Brian, Yeah I bought the van new late 2014 and it's been used twice basically. Once for a weekend shortly after we bought it and for our annual holiday this year Apr to Aug. It has been with the dealer now for three weeks getting other faults repaired. Hopefully get it back this week.

Thanks.

April to August is 20 weeks, which probably equates to 5 years of "average" motorhome use ;-) ........

My 2005 Hobby had removable carpets from new and, when I sold the vehicle in 2014, the carpets were still in good condition.

The Hobby had a coconut mat in the well of its entrance-step and a large muck-collecting mat overlaying the start of the carpeting. I used to vacuum the carpets regularly when the motorhome was being used and ‘wet cleaned’ them a couple of times using a domestic vacuum-cleaner with a carpet-shampooing capability. I’m not sure if the latter technique was such a great idea as the Hobby’s carpets were clearly not intended for such treatment and rapidly soaked through. It certainly cleaned them up, but it took a long time to dry them out and was definitely a hot summer task. (Probably OK in Australia, though...)

It ought to be possible to identify whether irregular carpet discoloration is due to 'wear-and-tear’, inadvisable cleaning treatment or due to a fault in the material and (as Brian advises) if it’s believed that the blotchiness is due to faulty material, the refusal to replace the carpets under warranty needs challenging.

The Auto-Trail website’s FAQ section includes the following

"What is the best method of cleaning my carpets?

Carpets can be cleaned using mild soapy water or a good proprietary carpet cleaning fluid. Please do not use bleach based products, or other aggressive household cleaning products."

Archived