Winter jacket

Scottish Joan

Me and my 7yr old daughter Ellen do quite a bit of camping during summer time and with winter fast approaching, we are now having to go to bed and breakfasts with our next holiday due this weekend for a few days (after school on Friday until teatime on Sunday.

One of the things I am going to need is a warm/thick and comfortable jacket for Ellen because we do a lot of walking and because its Scotland we are heading too, it will be cold, colder than Ellen is used to plus likely to rain too because Scotland gets lots of rain at this time of year.

The one thing Ellen is looking forward to about this weekend away is, on Saturday night there is going to be a fireworks display.

Now, Ellen is very fussy about jackets, she WILL NOT wear jackets that a) need to pulled up over her head (half zip pullovers) or b) jackets that have toggles, buttons or even velcro, she likes jackets that only have zips.

She has a Regatta jacket for school which has a full zip and buttons which she does wear because its a jacket issued by her school which MUST be worn to school, she will not wear it for daily use though so any ideas would be greatly appreciated :-)?

Guest pelmetman

Welcome to the asylum Joan ;-) ..............

We in Chatterbox are experts on padded jackets, they do not have any zips or velcro, just some very long belts that are attached at the arms........... indeed all methods of closure are at the back of the jacket, unreachable by the wearer 8-) .............

Another of our skills is learning to type with our noses :D ...............

Guest pelmetman
Tracker - 2015-11-03 9:26 AM

When I were a lad we had three choices - either wear the coat our Mums had bought for us

That works for me :D ................

pelmetman - 2015-11-03 5:45 PM

When I were a lad we had three choices - either wear the coat our Mums had bought for us

Them were different times Dave - oh so different!!

And I wouldn't pay £65 for a coat for meself let alone for an ungrateful little snob of a kid!

Tracker - 2015-11-03 7:24 PM

pelmetman - 2015-11-03 5:45 PM

Them were different times Dave - oh so different!!

And I wouldn't pay £65 for a coat for meself let alone for an ungrateful little snob of a kid!

You obviously do not have daughters Rich!

They get fashion conscious at very young ages now. Will only wear certain brands/colours. Would not be seen dead in that!!

I have 7 grand daughters , and gave up a long time ago on buying them clothes,

Modern Kids EH!

PJay

I don't like jackets that pull over my head [happy with pullovers though], nor do I like toddles and velcro. Like Ellen, I prefer zips although inevitably some zipped garments have buttons and velcro as well.

I don't know why a jacket is a must. I'd ask Ellen how she intends keeping warm. I'd let her make the choice but I would pack additional warm clothing because she might get it wrong. Go for the standard layers approach but instead of a jacket, take her school coat or a couple of giant size jumpers. If you want to spend money, there is no shortage of fleeces with just zips which can fit over the top of a thin T-shirt, thicker & bigger T-shirt, and even bigger shirt/blouse.

I reckon that Ellen is being persuaded to go walking in the grotty cold and wet dull days because Mum chooses to take her walking in the grotty cold and wet dull days ... Sounds like a good idea to put her off walking in the grotty cold and wet dull days for ever.

A cape is the answer, make sure it covers the head with a point on top and 2 peep holes. Suitable for Halloween too, Oh dear, have we missed the last day of October.

Archived