Cleaning stubborn stains on roof

Jennyanddave

Hi, we have a problem with black staining on the roof of our MH which is proving difficult to remove. We park it near a silver birch on our drive and we think that its been caused by the tips of the birch overhanging onto the roof. Normal washing with Autoglym doesn't seem to work and we are worried about rubbing the roof too aggressively. Does anyone know if there is there a product that can deal with this?

Elbow grease combined with some neat cleaner is the only way that I have found to have any effect.

Look out for Aldi selling bottles of 'Caravan Cleaner'. It is usually only £2 a bottle. Used neat, it doubles up as black streak remover.

Another tip to get rid of them is not to use a plain cloth. Get a cleaning cloth and stuff it inside an old Ladies pop sock or the foot part of a pair of tights. It is a bit more abrasive (but safe). Also handy for removing dead insects and bloodstains from the front of the van.

747 - 2015-11-03 7:21 PM

Elbow grease combined with some neat cleaner is the only way that I have found to have any effect.

Look out for Aldi selling bottles of 'Caravan Cleaner'. It is usually only £2 a bottle. Used neat, it doubles up as black streak remover.

Another tip to get rid of them is not to use a plain cloth. Get a cleaning cloth and stuff it inside an old Ladies pop sock or the foot part of a pair of tights. It is a bit more abrasive (but safe). Also handy for removing dead insects and bloodstains from the front of the van.

I found the bloodstains from striking migrants at Calais just washed off!

H

Blimey you lot treat your vans roughly :-D . Tcut is an absolute no no on motor homes, aparently it's the among a that does the damage. Never use anything neat on your van 1 it doesn't work any better 2 it can run down the sides of your van and wash out graphics and or etch lines down the van. The best thing to remove marks is a liquid wax and elbow grease, obviously make sure the area is washed first , using liquid wax will maintain the protection on your van

How easy is it to get access to the roof? I use Autoglym Super Resin polish after a good wash and then finish it with Autoglym Extra Gloss Protection. Never used Autoglym wash but a good wash is the first step. You can get a microfibre sponge with netting on one side that gives you a little extra for your elbow grease.

To reach the middle of the roof, I have to use a long handle brush with microfibre cloths tied around the end. This just about gets enough polish and subsequent Protection

Have you got a jet wash that you can set on a low setting? If so, have a look at snow foams. Keep your water pressure as low as you can and never point it at seams etc. I always wash the roof when there is someone else in the house just in case I have an accident.

Try Autoglym Intensive Tar Remover on the worst areas.

My son uses AutoBrite Direct, quite a bit cheaper than Autoglym and available in bigger quantities. Give them a ring and they should be able to recommend something assuming you have a painted metal roof.

We had similar problems with our silver birch so had it shaped by a tree surgeon to minimise the fall out.

Take care!

Motorhome roofs are made from pre-coated (a very thin coating) aluminium sheet; GRP or ABS or similar "plastic"; or often a combination of the two. Most (the very great majority) are laid flat, so are prone to gather water. They will include a number of joints between roof and walls, and roof and front or rear fairings, usually made of differing materials, plus those around rooflights and vents, etc. In most cases these joints are of dubious design, and frequently concealed beneath cover strips that are in turn screwed into the underlying structure. The joints form small dams on the roof, against which water will pool. The UK is a fairly damp place, so those joints will have pools of water sitting against them for extended periods of time.

All these joints and cover strips etc will be sealed (to varying degrees of quality) with unknown (to the owner) sealants, the performance of which can be adversely affected by reactions with other chemical compounds.

All sealants "age" due to loss of solvents with time, and ultra violet attack from sunlight.

The sealants are subjected to stresses as the roof components expand and contract due to temperature changes, but also as the van body flexes under the influences of load and use.

Sealant technology has developed considerably over the years from so-called non-setting mastics (which didn't actually set, they just shrank, hardened, and eventually cracked!) into the current favourites that are mostly of silane modified polyurethane type of various compositions, that set to form a very tough and highly elastic synthetic rubber with (if used properly) a service life exceeding 25 years.

The sealing of those joints is your only protection against water ingress.

Discolouration of the roof is generally cosmetic, and roofs are generally unseen. Unless you know that there is some chemical attack that is causing the discolouration, I would advise, for all the above reasons, living with the marks and washing the roof only with water.

The recommendations in the owners manual for washing our van (not guaranteed to be the same as for yours - different manufacturers use different materials) are to wash only with water, adding a little washing up liquid for stubborn dirt. Walls may be cleaned with a caravan cleaner.

Regarding the acrylic windows and rooflights (rarely, if ever, polycarbonate), use only warm water with a little washing up liquid, and never glass cleaning agents - which can cause the acrylic to become brittle and crack.

Read very carefully the instructions on any polish or rinse aids you use on vans, checking for compatibility with various other materials. Most such products are aimed at car cleaning, and motorhomes contain a much wider range of materials than the average car, not all of which (especially GRP) will benefit from use of car polish. The Fenwicks products for caravans should be OK, as should Mer. However, all polishes are to some extent abrasive, otherwise they would not work, and that paint film on pre-coated aluminium is very thin. Over-enthusiastic polishing will eventually wear the paint away. If in doubt, read the manual, and the labels on cleaners or polishes, to confirm they will not affect any of the materials used in constructing your van. If in doubt, stick to plain water.

Archived