Fiat Ducato X250 (3 Litre) Earth Strap Location

trevenus

Fiat Ducato X250 (3 Litre) Earth Strap Location  

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I have been reading a lot about the earth strap (Chassis to Engine) faults on the X250 Ducato, and believe it may be responsible for my problem. On occasions (usually but not exclusivly whe engine is hot) I turn the key and get absolutely no response. I persist and sometimes after a while it will try then eventually start. If however I jump start it useing the connections under the bonnet it starts first time. I thought I should be able to replace an earth strap myself so went looking for it.. DOES ANYONE KNOW WHERE IT'S HIDDING ??? Or could I just run a strap from anywhere accesable on the chassis to the engine/gearbox ??

Would appreciate some advice.

A definitive test to determine whether it is a poor earth causing the problem is to attach a decent jump lead from the earth point under the bonnet to the lifting eye on top of the engine. If it then starts without difficulty; you need to replace the original earth strap or better still add another one.

On a couple of vehicles with persistent issues we have had a cable made about 3 feet long and attached it to the top of the gearbox and the metal bracket where the fuel filter housing is located. This has worked very well. If you don't fancy doing that, or access is difficult, you should just fit an 18" long strap between the original earth point on the chassis outrigger and the end of the gearbox where the screws secure the cover.

Archived